Placing my children in HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
funfinder5

Placing my children in HOD

Post by funfinder5 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:21 pm

My two older children have just finished Adventures in MFW. I am strongly considering HOD for this next year. I am not sure where to place them.

My daughter is 7. How do I decide for sure if she's an emerging reader or independent reader?
My son is 9. He is an independent reader.

Has anyone gone from Adventures to Bigger? I am a little not thrilled about more American history. But I don't want to push them to the next one if they are not ready. My daughter will be 8 in June.

I have more questions about language arts choices for each but will start with where to put them first.

Jennifer-Anne

Re: Placing my children in HOD

Post by Jennifer-Anne » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi, I am just switching over to HOD from MFW this summer and will tell you what others have advised me to do from this forum. My children are just turned 9 and soon to be 7. We did MFW Adv. last year and this year Exploring Cuntries and cultures from MFW. We plan on doing HOD Bigger next year. I have been advised that Preparing would not be a good jump for us for many reasons because of the writing etc. for my 7 year old. I want it to be enjoyable so I am going to go with the suggestion of Bigger with the extensions package for my 9 year old. Just wanted to pass on what others have told me :D
Jennifer-Anne
(Starting HOD for the first time July 2013)
DS just turned 9 Bigger
DD almost 7 Bigger

funfinder5

Post by funfinder5 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:00 am

That helps! Thanks. We would be starting ECC but I am thinking Bigger instead. What helped confirm your decision to change after ECC?

funfinder5

Post by funfinder5 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:49 am

More questions...

Lets assume I select Bigger Hearts for my 7 and 9 year old.

I order the Economy Package, Economy Package-Science Add on.

I think my daughter would need the Emerging Reader's Set. A schedule and instructions will be included in the Bigger Hearts, correct?

I would love for my son to begin Drawn Into the Heart of Reading.
I would order the package for his reading level and then if desired I could order the book packs. Is that right?

Next would be Preparing to Build: English. From what I am reading, this includes writing and grammar? How is spelling incorporated? My 9 year old is doing Spelling Power and I haven't started a formal spelling program with my 7 year old yet.

We are already doing and have books for Singapore Math and handwriting.

Then if desired, I could order one of the sets of read-alouds.

glperky

Post by glperky » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:13 pm

I can't answer your placement question because I am new here, sorry. But I did PM you. :D
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!