LHFHG-confused

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
amysue277

LHFHG-confused

Post by amysue277 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:08 pm

We just started LHFHG full time and I am confused about science. We are using The World God Made, and the readings do not tie into anything at all. I'm thinking maybe I have an old copy? For example, today we did unit 2 day 4, which is all about Noah's ark. For science, we made a boat and floated it. The text connection had us reading about ostriches, dinosaurs, and elephants. It was totally bizarre. Any ideas?
Amy

DS 6-LHFHG w/ ER's and Singapore 1a/b
DS 5-LHFHG
DS 3-keeping up with his brothers
DD 2-into everything!
DD born 3-10-13

avbprincess

Re: LHFHG-confused

Post by avbprincess » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:44 pm

It sounds like you do have the correct copy of TWGM. The text reading in LHFHG does not always match exactly what is done for the science activity, but is at least related to it, and the reading does tie into the Bible story. With your example, the animals you read about in the text are all animals that would/could have been on the ark, so reading about them is relevant to Noah's story. Also, the second sentence of the Key Idea in the Science Discovery box talks about the weight of the animals in the ark (and the ones you read about in the text are some of the larger animals), which would have impacted how Noah would have needed to build the ark in order for it to float. This information ties into the activity of making and floating a boat. See the connection now?

In my opinion, Carrie did not write her science plans to follow the TWGM text. Instead, I think she wrote her science plans to tie in to the Reading About History box readings. She then scheduled TWGM to follow her science plans. This makes the science an extension of what is learned in history and not an unrelated subject standing off by itself. For the early elementary years I love this approach. I think it helps foster the proper attitude toward science, as those young minds just learning about the world are shown that science is more than interesting: it is important and relevant to our daily lives. I wish you and your DS much enjoyment in your future science discoveries!
Deanna
Wife to DH since 2000
DS 16 - US1
HODers from the beginning

amysue277

Post by amysue277 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:51 pm

Ah Yes, that makes perfect sense. I guess I just didn't make the connection at the time. Thanks so much for the great explanation!
Amy

DS 6-LHFHG w/ ER's and Singapore 1a/b
DS 5-LHFHG
DS 3-keeping up with his brothers
DD 2-into everything!
DD born 3-10-13

avbprincess

Post by avbprincess » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:27 pm

You're welcome! :D
Deanna
Wife to DH since 2000