Preparing Hearts as history overview for older child?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gbrlex

Preparing Hearts as history overview for older child?

Post by gbrlex » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:28 am

I am thinking of putting my 6th grade daughter into Revival to Revolution (Am Hist 1) next year but I am not sure she has a good handle on history up to that point. Would it be good to read through the economy history resources from Preparing Hearts with her first? Is the Christian worldview perspective of this overview in the resources or would I need commentary from the Preparing Hearts guide to pull it in? Would we catch Ancients/Biblical history again in high school?

Thanks.
Gina Beth

mrsrandolph

Re: Preparing Hearts as history overview for older child?

Post by mrsrandolph » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:10 am

This is a good question. I do not have a child as old as yours, so I am thinking about what I *think* I would do. I am currently in Preparing now with 2 of mine.

I DO think that you are right to be sure that she have a good handle on biblical history, and the history in Preparing is superb. So, I don't think you could go wrong with using Grandpa's Box, A Child's History of the World and the others.

As far as the guide goes...If you can by any means afford it, I would get it. Here is why...Not only does it tell you what to read, but also in what order so things are fitting together chronologically. It also gives you questions to ask after each reading. Then in the "read aloud" box, it is often a scripture passage that relates directly to the History reading from that day. So when you read Grandpa's Box and Grandpa Tells Mark and Amy about King Joash and how he was saved by his aunt, the read aloud is from 2nd (i think) Kings and is the Biblical account of that same story. It really helps the kids see, "Hey...this is REALLY in the BIBLE!"

Here is another thought. You said your daughter was in 6th grade. Have you considered actually doing Preparing with her and adding extentions? You could add on the Independent History pack also. My 10 year old is in Preparing. You could double time it through the History/Science portions if you were concerned about finishing the guides in a certain amount of time. Then do your math and reading and grammar at your own pace. Also, Preparing is a 4 day a week program, so you can do it all 5 days. Just a thought. : )

Preparing is one of the most popular guides. I hate for anyone to miss it!!
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:07 pm

Shannon has some really great thoughts she already shared here! :D If I were you, I'd get just the PHFHG Economy Package and have dd use the PHFHG guide independently to read her way through the "Reading about History" box reading assignments. These plans put the different history resources in chronological order and have key ideas she could read to sum up the readings for a nice flow. By ordering the package, you'd get about $22 off as well. I'd like the independence having the PHFHG guide would allow, the history readings being chronological with the different books coming and going appropriately in order, the key ideas summing up the big ideas, and the savings off the package. I'd probably give dd the guide and books in a basket for her room and let her read this at night at leisure, checking off the "Reading about History" box as she went. With RevtoRev, you don't need another thing to oversee, and she doesn't need another thing to add to her school day. :wink: However, if funds are tight, you could just get CHOW and Grandpa's box and have a fairly good coverage, though not very naturally chronological and not quite as thorough. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

gbrlex

Post by gbrlex » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:44 am

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions! I already own CHOW and the Ice Age book so picking up the guide and two others will work out well. Having her do the history independently would be a great help. I am spending more time with her high school age brother this year than I thought.

Gina Beth