Which program should I start with??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Michaeljenn

Which program should I start with??

Post by Michaeljenn » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:08 pm

I'm trying to decide what to place my soon to be 9yo in the fall. If I place her in Preparing, she will arrive at High School level in 8th grade. If I place her in Bigger, then the R&S level she will be in is not scheduled, and I'm afraid it could be too light. However, she has not had much American History. Any advice?

Jennifer
Jennifer

Mom to 6 kiddo's:)
18yo graduated PS, in college
17yo finishing up school/dual credit
14yo Christian School, part time
10yo Preparing
7yo Beyond
4yo prek workbooks and read alouds. Hoping to begin LHFHG soon:)

Leslie in TN

Re: Which program should I start with??

Post by Leslie in TN » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:00 am

With the situation you describe, I would be inclined to start with Bigger. You could always slow down the Rod & Staff to half-pace and finish over two years, or just focus on writing skills for the coming year. Have you checked the placement chart to see whether Bigger or Preparing would be the best fit?

http://heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

I've learned that with HOD, placement is absolutely vital. I have gotten hung up in the past on content and looking forward too far, and we've had to make adjustments after the fact. Truly, I think either Bigger or Preparing would be an excellent choice, but I would encourage you to make your decision based on skills rather than content. :)
Leslie in TN
Mama to Eva & Laura (16) and Samuel (14)

Currently using: World Geography with VideoText Algebra
Veterans of Rev2Rev, CTC, PHFHG and BLHFHG

mom23

Post by mom23 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:02 pm

It's easy to substitute the R&S book that you need with the Bigger guide. There aren't any special activities included in the manual for these, they just list page numbers. So if you use the next level up and just do a lesson a day you'll be in good shape. The goal is to get through R&S book 6 by the end of 8th grade, and starting with CTC, the guides only schedule R&S twice a week to get through one entire grammar book in two school years. Maybe that information will let you know how you need to pace.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi there, and welcome to the HOD Board, Jennifer! :D The ladies here are super helpful with placement, but we are careful not to advise glibly without knowing a little more about each child's specific needs. So, I wanted to check if you'd had a chance to look at the placement chart yet? It is right on track for placing dc usually. The first page is pretty important and the one we like to hear about here when helping with placement. When you look at the chart, where does she fall in reading, writing, grammar, and math? I'd love to help you out with a tad more info! I'll be spreading out the 4 high school guides over 5 years for my ds in that situation, and I am really excited about that - so, if your dd does fit best in PHFHG, I'd not let high school pacing deter you! :D I'll check back later here!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie