Extension Pack Clarification, Please!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
granolamom6

Extension Pack Clarification, Please!

Post by granolamom6 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:41 am

We are using Bigger HFHG here. Two of my kids are using the Extension pack. I have also been reading aloud to them the material listed in the TM for history and science. (During this read aloud time my 7 yo dd sits in and participates as well.)

My question is, is the Extension Pack supposed to be used IN ADDITION to the reading in the TM or INSTEAD OF the readings listed?

I have noticed that there is repetition in the material that is covered, which is fine. I do want to know what the intention is for the Extension Pack.

I was just asking my kids about the repetition of information and one thing they picked up on is that there is more information regarding the events presented contained in the book "A First Book in American History" than in "A Child's Story of America". Do you all find that to be true?

I want to say that I love this program. So, I do not want my questions to come across as complaining. I happen to be using Bigger with two older children (12 and 10 years old) and would like for them to do most of their work independently, as I also have two younger children to school. I am working at finding a way to make adjustments and streamline our learning times so that thorough learning is happening for all my kids.

So, to bring this all down to a nutshell, I am wondering if my older kids should be doing both the history and science in the TM AS WELL AS the Extension Pack readings or if they should just be doing the Extension Pack readings on their own. And, I am wondering if I could have them use the "A First Book in American History" instead of the "A Child's Story of America" because it contains more information?

Thank you! :)
Christa, wife to Sonnie since '93

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH
And another blessing due in March '09.

Visit my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/

netpea

Re: Extension Pack Clarification, Please!

Post by netpea » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:21 am

granolamom6 wrote:So, to bring this all down to a nutshell, I am wondering if my older kids should be doing both the history and science in the TM AS WELL AS the Extension Pack readings or if they should just be doing the Extension Pack readings on their own. And, I am wondering if I could have them use the "A First Book in American History" instead of the "A Child's Story of America" because it contains more information?

Thank you! :)
My understanding is that you continue to do the material in the TM wih you doing the reading and then the older kids do the extension package reading independantly.

We will be doing Bigger next year with an 8yo and are planning to add the books from the extension pack as additional read-alouds, but we will start with the day's lesson from the TM.

Does that help?

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:46 pm

LeeAnn hit the nail on the head! The extension pack is meant to be done completely independently. My ds did begin reading the history and the science in the TM on his own toward the middle/end of the year as well. You could certainly have your dc do that reading independently as well, and then just do the narration, discussion, activities, etc. together. You may want 2 books for your children then, or you could have one of them read the Bigger... history while the other one read the extension history, and then have them switch. Then you could do the teacher-directed parts with both of them. They could take turns with the science books. I always questioned my ds a bit using the key ideas in the Bigger... guide as a compass for our brief discussions. Then we got into the rest of it together. Does that make sense? :o HTH!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:38 pm

Christa,

The readings in the Extension Pack are meant to be done in addition to the readings in the TM. So, your kiddos can either listen to you do those scheduled in the TM as read alouds or do those readings on their own in addition to the Extension Pack readings. The two readings play off of one another to give a deeper view of history.

Blessings,
Carrie :D