Questions...skip MTMM

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mamas4bugs

Re: Questions...skip MTMM

Post by mamas4bugs » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Thank you, Carrie, for an extremely thoughtful reply. I love how you help us think through things. :)

I will be in this same boat with my younger son in a couple of years. I understand and agree with all of the reasons given for not skipping MTMM, but I guess my question is...will the high school guide that covers this same time period not cover the material in the same faithful, thought-provoking way? I can't imagine anything that comes from HOD not covering a time period in a fully Biblical fashion, so I guess I'm just wondering if my son has the skill set to do the work (which I'm not certain he will) of skipping MTMM, will he still get all the meaty spiritual stuff when the American history time period is covered again in the high school guides? Does that make sense?

And, I have to add, my oldest son and I are sooo excited to see all the Geography guide sneak peeks. We cannot wait to do this new program for his 9th grade year next year! :)
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:09 pm

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the thread.

We were in a similar situation. Recently we opted to skip Rev to Rev and go on to MtMM, with dd being ready for the high school guide when it comes out. It was a hard decision for 'me' to make, and in the end dd's interest and input made the decision. With her age, it was skipping something. After reading Carrie's post, I am glad dd is in MtMM.

We've never covered modern times. Dd desperately wanted that and not what she termed 'old history.' If we didn't do that now, it would be a few years before she'd get to do that. This also put her in the middle age range in the guide, getting her out of needing extentions.

Anyway, one thing that I noticed is that concerns are mainly on skipping MtMM. Is there a reason to not skip Rev to Rev? I know each person's situation is different. I was personally looking forward to the goverment aspects of Rev to Rev, but that was me and not my dd.

By going right to MtMM, we are spending more time on English since it's now being done daily. She is enjoying Chemistry, which is something we've never done. So far so good, minus the usual quirks that sometimes come in a day.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:02 am

Ladies,

For me, as I talk with families about what will be best in the situation where a student is headed into high school, but is coming from a younger HOD guide), it always ends up to be placement that I go back to again and again. This is what makes the decision such a unique one for each student, because each student's "best" placement will be his/her own! :wink:

Placement becomes trickier as a child gets older, because it isn't always as readily apparent where a child fits skill-wise. :wink: Maturity also begins to play more of a role in placement, as does independence, and work habits. A child heading into the high school HOD guides will also have to be committed to a longer school day. Each of these areas will play a huge role in a student's success and overall feelings about high school. So, all of these areas have to be weighed. Then, there also begins to be the state requirements and college entrance requirements to be met as students head through their high school years, so all of these areas become a part of weighing correct placement too! :D

So, I usually end up going back to the placement chart first to gain placement knowledge (paying the most attention to the first page of the chart) with the 3R's heavily in mind. Next, I weigh the science as kiddos are heading into the high school years. After that I begin weighing the other deciding factors: maturity, independence, work habits, commitment to longer days, and state/college requirements. Usually, by that point I have a clearer picture of what the "right" placement for that student might be. Then, I recommend bathing the decision in prayer and waiting on the Lord to see if He confirms the decision. :D

I agree that while MTMM is a wonderful guide, in the end the decision of whether to use it or not really comes down to the best placement all around. However, in placement it is very wise not to overlook maturity, work habits, independence, and commitment to a longer school day! If a student is needing extra time in any of the 3R's, I would never bump that child forward past a guide. If a student struggles or is a bit behind in math, I would definitely keep in mind then how much time math will add to a child's day as math gets harder as you go up! This additional time needed to complete math each day, would make the high school guides much longer than we intend. So, I wouldn't bump a child struggling in math forward either. I would also never bump that child forward in the sciences (as the sciences become driven by math skills in high school). If a student did not have strong, independent work habits, or a willingness to commit to longer school days, with an increased work load (then I wouldn't bump that child forward either, or you'll be dragging him/her along for years to come). :wink: If a student has health issues or family issues or commitments in many outside areas, I would make sure to balance school accordingly so that it doesn't add additional pressures that would overwhelm the student. :D I could go on, but you're getting the picture that placement advice is affected by so many personal factors! This makes it impossible to give pat answers. :D

So, for those of you who are trying to make this decision for your own student, you may wish to each post a thread about your student and his/her skill-level placement chart-wise and let the wise ladies on the board talk through placement with you. Dialoguing specifically about your student may really help! Or, if you'd rather not visit about your student on the board, simply reading others posts may help. If you get a chance to come to convention, we can personally visit with you about your child's placement. No matter which route you choose to go, the best advice I can give you is that you may just want to treat this as if you are brand-new to HOD and are seeking placement advice for your student. This may make it clearer to you as to what you should do! I know it makes it clearer to me as I help families. :D

Last, I'll say that usually when looking at high school looming several years ahead on the horizon, and wondering whether to fast-forward a child up a guide earlier in the guide sequence (i.e. like in the guides before Rev2Rev or MTMM), I'm more prone to wait to make that decision until the child is right on the verge of high school. This is because kiddos can change so much in just one year and also because it is tough to back up a guide if it doesn't go well at that point. So, this is typically the reason why I don't advise jumping a child past a guide too early in the sequence (especially once a child's placement seems right). However, just as is true anywhere along the HOD path, if a child seems like he/she is not well placed in a guide, then it is always wise to reassess and move that child up a guide to get a better fit. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

snadig

Post by snadig » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:29 pm

Carrie,

Thank you so much for your response!

Thank you to every one for your repsponses.

I have decided to move forward with a new thread regarding using MTMM for high school. I have some simple questions. Praise the Lord for answered prayers! I thanks,
Stacey
Stacey in Co

Married 21years to my best friend
my wonderful kids:
19-dd-College student Aug 18
17-dd-US 1 Histroy -Aug 18
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18
Finished:Beyond,Bigger,Preparing,RtoR,RevtoRev,CtC,MtMM,WH,AH1,AH2

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi all,

I'm going to throw out yet one more option. (Don't cringe, Carrie :wink: ) This year we are using the Rev to Rev guide with our sophomore and decided to slow.it.down. on the left side. Not because he couldn't handle the work. Quite the contrary. He's quite advanced. But we decided to slow it down and use it over 2 years and then finish his senior year with the MTMM guide. He loves RevtoRev- the stories of history, the state study, etc. We're using more historical documents and biographies alongside the history in HOD, more poetry from the time period being studied. We decided to do this for 2 reasons: 1.) we wanted to finish planning out his high--school years with what we knew was available, and 2.) we wanted to work in some other subject areas he wanted to study. Using a younger guide for high-school has given us a lot of wiggle room. And it has given him an opportunity to have more control over what he's studying. This has been a good choice. My experience has been that if your student needs more of a challenge they can tell you that. But sometimes more of a challenge is not necessarily a higher-level of study, but maybe a deeper level, and the opportunity to provide input and direction. He's loving his studies. And I think he's grown tremendously this year in all disciplines. Thank you HOD.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Florence,

What an awesome way to do it! Thank you for sharing that.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:50 pm

Carrie,

I just wanted to say that I appreciate very much that you are here for all of us. That you take the time to read our posts and help us see the many 'powers' of HOD.

What you shared about abilities in English/math/science and moving around in guides was very, very helpful for me. It's amazing how different one sibling is at one age compared to where another one was. Everything has to be changed for each one, and we certainly can't always rely on just doing what we did the last time we used the same guide to work for the next child. Taking to heart what you shared and applying it to each child will be very helpful when making adjustments, if any, to my youngers that will be coming up to these levels (Rev to Rev and MtMM) in a few years. My middle dd will be using Rev to Rev, but not for 3 years. I look forward to going through it with her then...if we don't end up using it in other ways sooner.

Thanks again for all you put into HOD, and us!