Oral Narration "timing"

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
basesloaded

Oral Narration "timing"

Post by basesloaded » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:06 am

For those of you who are like me and teaching more than one student I have a question about oral narrations. Do you have your students come to you immediately after finishing their reading to do their narration or do you "schedule" a time during the day for them to come? I was just letting them come whenever they finished to do it but that means constantly being interrupted for a narration when you are working with another child. Is it too much to ask them to wait and remember the information and do it later or does it need to be done right away? :?
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

blessedmama

Re: Oral Narration "timing"

Post by blessedmama » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:12 pm

I usually call them over to me when I have a minute to spare. Sometimes it is right after they read the assignment and sometimes it is within the hour. I try not to let it go past an hour's time so they don't forget. That is just how it works out in our family of four guides!
Saved by Grace,
Sara D.

Wife of DH for 13 years! Mother to my four wonderful blessings from the Lord (DD 11; DS 10; DS 9; DD 7)

Molly

Post by Molly » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 pm

I am asking my oldest who is reading mostly on her own to jot down a couple of notes if she needs to just so that when she does get to narrate, then she has a couple of reminders and she narrates well.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:43 pm

When they first begin independent reading that will require a narration, usually in Preparing, I have had them come to me right away. I will do my best to stop what I am doing right away. It may be that the independent reader has to wait a minute or two before I get to a stopping place with another child, but it's basically right after the reading. Once i think they are doing well enough with that (rather it's one day in or several weeks), we move to doing it with a little bit of a gap, but still within 30 minutes to an hour usually, when I'm moving from one "mom" task to another. Once my kids have hit RtR (I think---for sure by RevtoRev), we have just incorporated our narration times into the meeting time, which may be several hours after their reading. They do have about a 5-10 minute warning that I will be with them, and of course they can thumb back through if they'd like. This has worked well for us.
Angie
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:51 pm

I wondered this same thing, so I did a little digging years' back. :D Charlotte Mason said it is important to have dc narrate right away when they are learning to narrate. Having them wait to narrate is actually an upper level skill she encouraged after they were quite good at narrating. So, for my youngest ds beginning to learn very basic oral narration skills after I read him his Storytime books for LHFHG, I always have him narrate right away (which is easy to do because I just read it to him. :wink: ) For my middle almost 10 yo ds in CTC, I try to let him narrate right away upon finishing his reading by scheduling my teaching time with him right after he has read. But, sometimes if I'm busy, I tell him to take 5 minutes to gather his thoughts for his upcoming narration (usually because I have 5 minutes of something to finish up with another child). For Wyatt who is 13 yo and doing MTMM, he rarely narrates right after finishing his reading. I just have him narrate to me when we are meeting for his midpoint meeting time. Sometimes he'll ask for a few minutes to gather his thoughts before he begins, and he might flip through the book to get his bearings, but then he's good to go. :D HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:27 am

Thank you all :D !
Suzy in Eastern NC