Considering using HOD for 12, 13 and 7yr old

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
poohswife4

Considering using HOD for 12, 13 and 7yr old

Post by poohswife4 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Hello. My name is Maisha. I have a 13, 12, 7 and 1 yr old. I am considering using HOD for the upcoming school year. I have wanted to switch to a more literature approach to homeschooling for a couple of years now but I was scared. I have finally decided to take the plunge. I am trying to decide between My Fathers World and HOD. My 13 yr old is not a happy reader unless it is what she picks. I will not be using a lot of MFW or HOD with her. But I am considering using Drawn into the Heart of reading with her. My 12 year old I would us everything but the science part. He is loves to read. My 7 year old I would use a full curriculum with her. She loves to read and be read to. One of my questions is: Have any of you used MFW and are now using HOD. Can you compare the two for me. I notice some of the resources are the same. Also how do you use HOD on a budget. Do any of you just buy the necessary books and then try to find some of the literature at the library? I am really looking forward to talking to you all and learning more about HOD

Be blessed and encouraged,
Maisha

basesloaded

Re: Considering using HOD for 12, 13 and 7yr old

Post by basesloaded » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:39 pm

I have 3 boys ages 14, 11 & 7. We began homeschooling over 8 years ago using MFW. We switched to HOD 4 years ago and loooovvvvveee it. We did enjoly the first few years of MFW but it began to require me to add more and more to it to make it a good fit for my boys. As we approached the older MFW levels it began to feel like I was beginning to drag my middle son along, skill level wise. HOD was such a blessing to find. It was the "right fit" at the "right time" for us - hands down! I have never felt the need to add anything and never feel like my boys are "missing" anything they need or want :D ! I have combined my oldest 2 for the last 4 years but will be separating them next year as my oldest begins High School. For various reasons this just seems the right step for us. We all love HOD ... my boys as students and myself as teacher :D !
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:52 pm

I have never used MFW, but wanted to answer your question about literature. We are a book loving family and already have LOTS of books in a small 2 bedroom home. I do purchase all tn the books for history, science, etc., but when it comes to DITHOR I will use my library. Now we have been known to purchase a book later when it is something they have loved and don't want to return to the library which for my dd would be all of them. :lol:
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:02 pm

There are many new posts on the first page of the board of moms making the switch to HOD, so just have fun reading some of the posts here and you'll find you are not alone! :D This board is full of kind, encouraging, Christian ladies who are so gracious with their time and with their words. I find the HOD board itself to be a wonderful place to go for encouragement. It keeps me on the right track with my words, thoughts, and attitudes, and I appreciate the ladies here so much. :D I think you will fit right in, Maisha!

We have been using "Drawn into the Heart of Reading" (DITHOR) for 7 years now, and we still love it! :D I think your 13 yo dd would enjoy it too, and a big selling point to her would be that she can choose her own books (with your help, of course). :) The books need to fit in the right genre, but otherwise, any book can be chosen. For example, she would choose a 'mystery' for the mystery genre; an 'adventure' for the adventure genre, and so forth. There is also a Sample Book Ideas list she could look at for ideas for books that comes with the DITHOR package. Or, she could look at the DITHOR book packs for ideas, and believe me, these books are awesome! :D

For your other dc, the placement chart is a great place to begin. It has helped me accurately place my 3 sons, and we have loved HOD for the past 10 years! :D Here is a link to the placement chart, and we can all chime in and help with this too - just share your thoughts for your 12 yo and your 7 yo with the first page of the placement chart in mind, especially reading, writing, math, and grammar...
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Why do ladies love HOD? I thought this thread may be helpful to read as you ponder your decision...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8268&p=60839#p60839

As far as trying to compare MFW and HOD, here are a few threads that may help...
Comparing Classical Approach, MFW, and HOD:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6485
MFW and HOD:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1446

The best way to save money with HOD is to order packages from HOD. The savings come right off the top and are big! You can see what you are saving per package on the website here as well as in their catalog. Another way to save is to use your library for DITHOR books and for Storytime books, when possible, and just fill in with the few titles as needed. Some families order the first 9 weeks of resources, and then order the next part, and so on - if spreading out the spending is helpful. You can give HOD a call and work with Mike to set up a payment plan if that is helpful. Once we figure out which guides your dc place in, we can help with specifics on how to save money. :D

We have enjoyed HOD with all of our kiddos, and I am excited for you to get to enjoying it too! HTH, but keep asking questions until you are set! It is nice to meet ya, and I look forward to getting to know you here. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie