1A or 1B? dd 10 learning issues with math

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Army Wife

1A or 1B? dd 10 learning issues with math

Post by Army Wife » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:04 pm

Just wondering what you would do... My dd scored an 86 on the 1A Singapore Placement Test. I know it said if they scored 80% or better they could move onto the next level, but it also said if they got most of certain type of problem wrong to consider doing that level anyway. She missed the subtraction word problems. Would you have her start with 1A or move onto 1B? I am seconding guessing myself, because I know, as a 4th grader, she is way behind in math academically and my husband would like them to return to school in middle school :( So I am thinking 1B. On the other hand, I know plus and minus signs still confuse her, she does not have her addition math facts memorized, and word problems are very tricky for her. So I am wondering if I am trying to push her on because I know how far behind she is :oops:

I would also like to know if your child has had any issues in math and did Singapore help or hinder their progress. We are currently setting her up with an appt to determine if their is a deeper learning issue going on, but nothing has been diagnosed. We are currently using Math U See Beta. She is able to show she understands short term but it is not sticking long term. We have had to take a break column addition is frustrating her and she gets upset (hysterical) when she doesn't get it and has to do extra practice no matter how many times I explain that it is not a bad thing and is to help her.

I considering changing because I have been using Singapore with my dd5 and she is learning so much and I love the pace, but there is also no sign of her struggling academically. I am changing my dd9 to Signapore because I think he will make greater mathematical gains using Singpore and he is with dad on going back to school :(

Well, if you can make sense of all that, words of wisdom are much appreciated if you have had similar experiences.

Your Sister in Christ,
Elsa
Elsa, mother of 3

dd12 CTC, Completed Bigger, Preparing
ds10 CTC, Completed Bigger, Preparing
dd7 Bigger, Completed LHFHG, Beyond

Mercy

Re: 1A or 1B? dd 10 learning issues with math

Post by Mercy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:49 pm

Hello!

Just wanted to share my experience. My 13yo son has stuggled for years with math. I switched from here to there and tried so many different things. I am not sure why, but a light bulb just seemed to go on and all of a sudden he is really excelling!! One thing I learned over the years is to just keep challenging them with new concepts and not to "hold them back" so to say. I have used and plan to use singapore for my youngers and a lil with my 13 yo, but his all-time favorite math curriculum that I think really helped cement concepts for him was Christian Light. For kiddos just starting out Carries guides with Singapore are awesome! But sometimes Singapore can be tough to use for those that are behind. I found CLE workbooks helpful and I am working on essential math now with him to try to get him all squared up before high school. Just wanted to encourage you not to give up! Sometimes it is just maturity that helps things to click! By the way, he will not get any better tutoring/tailoring better than at home. At ps he will be lost and trying to keep up with their standards...

Have a great night,
Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

psreit

Post by psreit » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:11 pm

My dd9 went to school for kindergarten. I knew by halfway through that she needed to come home. She also has struggles with math like your dd10. She hasn't been tested, but I suspect dyslexia and I believe she has some visual processing problems. My evaluator recommended a curriculum in which she would have a lot of repetition. She does not know her addition and subtraction facts either, but she does know how to get the answer with manipulatives. Since she is behind, I had hoped to get through a level in less than a year, but it looks like we will be heading into summer while we finish it. I guess my reason for sharing that is, I have to take it at a pace she can handle. For example, the daily work for this curriculum would typically be like 3 pages a day. Some days we only get 1 or two pages done because something may be difficult for her and takes her longer. I am seeing progress. I would encourage you to not push your dd because of grade level. Just stick her where she needs to be and keep building. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

Tracee

Post by Tracee » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:37 pm

So, it was the only the word problems that she missed? If that is the case, I would move into 1B. My son has dyslexia, and sometimes the language of the word problems mixes him up. I sit with him and help him through whatever he needs help with. We are getting ready to move into 2B, and he's getting it, but sometimes he doesn't understand what they are asking in the word problems.

The best advice that I've been given, is to sit with him and help him with whatever it is he needs help with. It's amazing how this works. I think kids naturally want to be independent. When they completely understand and feel confident in what they are doing, they will tell you to go away and that they can do it on their own. Until that point, I just keep helping and explaining. I've seen this happen on several occasions. My ds hates to read, so I was told to tell him that I would read the words, sentences, pages, etc. first and then he could read or we would take turns reading. Whenever I do this and ds is confident in what he is doing, he will tell me, "I can read this by myself". This method takes the constant struggle out it and makes for a better learning environment. Whatever curriculum you choose, I would just keep helping her as much as she needs. She will eventually get it.
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:08 pm

If she is just struggling in certain areas, you could use something topical, like Math Mammoth topic books, for just the topics she needs. Then retest her for singapore in a higher level. Singapore doesn't expect them to have those things mastered in 1A/B, so you might find testing her at a higher level, perhaps 2A/B or 3A , just to see if she can pass those since many topics are repeated on a deeper level year after year. My daughter is a more big picture type person and learns better if we do a simple concept at a later age, but on a deeper level. So, learning super simple subtraction at a very basic "small picture" level, might not be as good as learning it still at a deeper level that is still pretty basic, but carries the lesson on deeper to provide that bigger picture. I hope that makes sense...basically saying 1A/B will halt in a concept really quick giving a very small picture of what is going on with the concept, whereas 2A/B and 3A/B will present the same topic, but delve slightly deeper into it giving a bigger picture so she would know where she is going and the purpose of the concept.

If you do use something topical first, I'd reallyconsider MM as it has a very similar approach to math as singapore since it's "asian math" as well.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Army Wife

Post by Army Wife » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Tracee wrote:The best advice that I've been given, is to sit with him and help him with whatever it is he needs help with. It's amazing how this works. I think kids naturally want to be independent. When they completely understand and feel confident in what they are doing, they will tell you to go away and that they can do it on their own. Until that point, I just keep helping and explaining. I've seen this happen on several occasions. My ds hates to read, so I was told to tell him that I would read the words, sentences, pages, etc. first and then he could read or we would take turns reading. Whenever I do this and ds is confident in what he is doing, he will tell me, "I can read this by myself". This method takes the constant struggle out it and makes for a better learning environment. Whatever curriculum you choose, I would just keep helping her as much as she needs. She will eventually get it.
I took your advice Tracee, and it has revealed much. She stills balks at math initially, but I tell her not to worry and that I will be right with her every step of the way. In doing this, I have noticed she can add quicker and with more accuracy than either of us realized. When she is so worried about getting the right answer, she just can't access that information in her brain.

I am taking this same approach in reading also. For example, I do a paragraph then she does paragraph, next thing you know she accidentally has read two extra and didn't even realize it. I had planned to finish the reading program we are currently doing, but she saw the emergent readers collection and wants to read them. So I will let her lead the way.
Mercy wrote:Just wanted to encourage you not to give up! Sometimes it is just maturity that helps things to click! By the way, he will not get any better tutoring/tailoring better than at home. At ps he will be lost and trying to keep up with their standards...Mercy
Mercy, thank you for the encouragement. I have heard often maturity kicking in around 12/13, but sometimes I get so stuck in the moment, I forget the bigger picture. With love from home, she will achieve more, I just need to be patient. She has already told her father she does not want to go to ps, so she can continue to learn at her pace. This too has helped relax our pace since we have no deadline to meet.
Elsa, mother of 3

dd12 CTC, Completed Bigger, Preparing
ds10 CTC, Completed Bigger, Preparing
dd7 Bigger, Completed LHFHG, Beyond

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:43 pm

I do the same thing - sit by my dc's side and help as their partner. It really takes the stress out of math. They can take more chances and know that I am right there to help if they get stuck. I do this for the textbook part especially, and for the workbook part, I either stay by their side the whole time, checking answers as they go, or flit away for a bit and come right back. I am so excited for you that you are finding your new approach is working well! I think you will continue to see dds math build. As far as placement, I agree starting with 1B would work well. You can always do math on the fifth day of school too, so that she moves ahead a bit more quickly, but is not overloaded by doubling up. You may eventually set the timer for 30 minutes and just get as far as you do each day, which some days may be more than one lesson. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie