a logistics question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
witheagerhands

a logistics question

Post by witheagerhands » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:41 am

Ladies, you have helped me with big questions, like, "Which guides do I choose?" and "How do you get it all done!?" and all your advise has been a GODsend :) I have another question:
With 3 guides running (or even 2!), how do you keep up with the guides? As in, literally, WHAT do you do with the physical books?
Let me explain:
I have all 4 Guides in 3-ring binders, each page in plastic protectors. (well, except for Little Hands, which -let's face it- is sitting in my bedroom under lots of stuff.) These binders are huge, and I don't have space to keep three binders open at a time (which they need to be, so I can jump from one thing to the other!)

Preparing child can do all her work independently, and she will take plastic pages out. THey tend to get bent and/or misplaced though.
My Beyond child and Little Hearts child use me exclusively, so I DEFINITELY need to make the day's (or days', since we tend to be in different spots!) pages open and easy to see. I have about 3 weeks worth of pages from teh Little Hearts in a skinny 3-ring binder, so that I'm not toting the 3" guy around.

I'm wondering if I should add a 2nd skinny notebook for the Beyond girl, or make one binder that includes both children, or is there a solution YOU have found that differen than this?
Thanks!
Sally
http://31thirteen.blogspot.com
MG, 11yo -- Preparing * Extensions * DITHOR, Level 6/7/8 + MUS
EK, 8yo -- Beyond + Cheerful Cursive + MUS
HR, 6yo -- LHFHG + Happy Handwriting
SA, 3yo -- keepin' it lively!
OCJ -- She came! 10/13/12

davisfam7

Re: a logistics question

Post by davisfam7 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:37 am

I place all my guides in a 3 inch binder in page protectors. I only take out one unit at a time and stick it in a smaller binder that I use daily. So my kids that are using MtMM know to pull the weekly binder from the shelf and it will have the guide pages, dictation and Independent self study schedule for the extension readers in it. This way we don't have loose pages floating around and getting lost, but we also do not have to cary around the BIG binder. This has worked for us the past two school years. For my two younger boys who are using RtR this year, I also put in any maps they need for the week, as well as the notebooking pages they will work on. At the end of the week I file their notebooking pages and maps away in a larger binder and switch out the guide pages for the next unit. This also gives me a chance to look over their week so I know what they are doing since most of them are totally independent. I have two separate Weekly Binders for RtR and MtMM so that they do not get confused. Anyway, I hope this helps.
Sarah
wife to Bobby
Taylor 22 helping @ home
Ryan 18 World History
Olivia 16 World History
Alec 13 MtMM
Jack-Attack 1 CtC
Have done Bigger, Preparing, RtR, Rev to Rev, MtMM, World Geo.

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:40 pm

What about instead of smaller binders, you could give your older students clipboards with the unit they are working on, and then if they do any loose sheets that need to be filed, they can clip that under the unit page and return the whole thing to you once finished?

We're not into the upper guides yet so maybe that idea isn't so great. LOL
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:42 pm

I don't use binders so I am not sure if my answer will help.

I open Beyond and Bigger on my kitchen counter to the day each one is on. I have poetry. Dictation. Spelling. and the math schedule tabbed in the back. Some days I start with the left and some days the right. I combine story time from both guides. I work through both alternating some until they need a break. Then I bring out MFWK and work through straight at the table. By this time it is lunch. After lunch I finish Beyond and Bigger and all 3 kids join in for storytime: one book for all 3 programs for whatever genre Bigger and Beyond are on. They all 3 also do any science experiments from any of the programs together; if it is from Bigger ds9 would do the write up afterwards. We hopefully finish by 3. If not I call it a day and carry to the next anything not finished. Sometimes we finish by 1 or 2.

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Well, I am running two guides at the moment. It's a Very Full day but schooling with four + children in the house IS full, busy, chaotic, etc.

I use the guides as they are; bound. My system differs from what you would need based on that but here is what I would do with what you have.

Keep the Little Hearts and Beyond work in ONE binder. Select the number of Units you will keep in the binder based upon how much room you have. For example, maybe you will have room for 6 units at a time. Keep Little Hearts in the front and you will need to include the daily plans plus the Rhymes in Motion for those six units. Use sticky tabs to mark your place in each section. Keep Beyond behind the Little Hearts work and you will need to include the daily plans, poetry, and spelling/dictation based upon what your student is working on. Again, I'd mark each section with a tab of some sort. I use Post-It Durable Tabs as they hold up very nicely and they can be repositioned if necessary. You can also write on them if you'd like to.

Each of my students has an assigned color and we use Staples Better Binders. This way I can see their binders at a glance PLUS these binders are workhorses and they last forever. I use 1 binder for my Little Hearts girl and each week we hole punch and keep her work in the binder; this includes Artistic Expression work if it fits, her Bible copywork (she copies the verse as she is more than ready for this), and her Storytime writing activity that you do on Day 4 each week. I don't use any special tabs. We just file all of the work from the Unit when we finish it and the Units line up one behind another. Sometimes I'll make a little note on the work such as U1 to denote Unit 1 but that is just for me. :mrgreen:

When she uses Beyond I'll probably use a similar system for her binder as she won't need too many sections or tabs and there is no notebooking yet. So, your Beyond student would need 1 3-ring binder to keep his/her work in. For Beyond, since Poetry coypwork is a part of every week I find it imperative to prepare that in advance according to how you want to present it to your student. Make a file folder to contain the poetry coypwork stuff OR you can use a composition book for that. It depends upon what your student is ready for.

Give your Preparing student a skinny binder with a selected number of units (6 perhaps?) plus any other sheets she needs to run those units. Include all that she needs for those 6 weeks such as her dictation key, poems, extension schedule. Create tabs using the sticky tabs and/or using colored paper/card stock inside page protectors. For those six weeks, make sure you have pulled all of the books she'll need and that you have a file folder or some other type of folder to keep her papers in; both the blank sheets she'll need to complete her work and a place to store completed work that is in process or complete. At a minimum she will need photocopies of the Science Lab sheet as well as blank paper for notebooking and creative writing. I like to give my boys a file folder that hangs in their box/crate and this folder contains their weekly sheets needed for science, history, poetry writing plus it is a place to keep work in progress such as a History Project or Independent History drawings. At the end of the week we take ALL of the papers, hole punch and put in their 3 ring binders. They have one binder for their history papers (written narrations, Independent History work) and poetry creative writing work. I used a piece of brightly colored card stock and printed something like "Creative Writing based upon the poetry of Robert Louis Stevenson" on it; I put it in a page protector and use that as a divider between history and creative writing work. No other tabs have been needed. They have another binder that we keep the science work in. We simply file by unit and don't use tabs.

Keep asking questions. Getting streamlined and organized is a HUGE process but once you have a system that works for YOU you will find time fall off the schedule and stress will lift. Don't give up. Do a teensy bit each day. When you notice a problem then seek a solution for it but take it one at a time. It helps me to slow down and solve as I go even if it means slowing down the guide. For example, when we first started I didn't have a good system for keeping track of "work in progress" such as History Projects or Independent History work that spans a couple of days. So, I realized we needed a designated place to keep our work in progress. I took some of our school time to solve the problem by choosing a place, organizing accordingly, showing the boys what I expect/how to keep track of the work, and then we pick up where we left off tomorrow. Now, we have solved the problem and it will no longer slow us down because we won't squish, misplace, or spill water on someone's work in progress that was left on a counter rather than in the NEW designated file folder. That work has a PLACE. I take it one day and one challenge at a time and slowly we are getting our wrinkles ironed out and our system running.
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14