Spelling Rules

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
glperky

Spelling Rules

Post by glperky » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:39 am

This may a weird question, but could someone tell me when and using what the following two take place in HOD? Thanks!

1. Spelling rules
2. Alphabatizing
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

MomtoJGJE

Re: Spelling Rules

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:29 am

alphabetizing is done throughout but is really worked on through vocabulary.

I have no idea on spelling rules

glperky

Post by glperky » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:58 am

MomtoJGJE wrote:alphabetizing is done throughout but is really worked on through vocabulary.

I have no idea on spelling rules

Is vocabulary done through R&S or is it a different box? The reason for my questions is because I am not sure I want to use R&S and want to see what I will be missing and need to add if I don't.
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:05 am

Rod and Staff does cover dictionary skills (including alphabetizing, looking up words, how to use the pronunciation guides, etc). However, vocabulary itself is covered throughout the plans in the guide. Bigger and Preparing have specific words to look up, write the definition, use the word in a sentence, and draw a picture. It progresses from there and vocab then is covered through the science terms, and various other activities.

Rod and Staff also covers some spelling rules (specifically in regards to prefixes, suffixes, -s and -es, etc). However, it is not a full study "spelling rules". (We have found, though that working through the spelling lists and dictation/copywork has been more than sufficient for spelling).
Ang
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

glperky

Post by glperky » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:21 am

That helps, thanks.
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:22 am

Vocabulary is mainly in a separate section of the guide. R&S covers it, but by the time Jayden got to it in R&S she already knew what she was doing from the box in the guide.

We don't do phonics or anything above or beyond the spelling list (either list one or list two for any child who goes through it) and dictation. So far it's worked. I'm about to start DD3 on the spelling lists and DD2 just started dictation this week. So in about a year I'll tell you if it's worked on all three of my olders. FWIW, DD2 is zooming through the first dictation level... I'm just letting her do a few each day until she gets to where she has trouble. It took her three days to get number one right, but that was from not knowing how to do dictation. Once it clicked she hasn't made a mistake since.

So basically I wouldn't add anything to the guides, it's all there... but honestly I would not skip the spelling lists or dictation. I would not do another program instead of them. They work.

glperky

Post by glperky » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:27 am

MomtoJGJE wrote:Vocabulary is mainly in a separate section of the guide. R&S covers it, but by the time Jayden got to it in R&S she already knew what she was doing from the box in the guide.

We don't do phonics or anything above or beyond the spelling list (either list one or list two for any child who goes through it) and dictation. So far it's worked. I'm about to start DD3 on the spelling lists and DD2 just started dictation this week. So in about a year I'll tell you if it's worked on all three of my olders. FWIW, DD2 is zooming through the first dictation level... I'm just letting her do a few each day until she gets to where she has trouble. It took her three days to get number one right, but that was from not knowing how to do dictation. Once it clicked she hasn't made a mistake since.

So basically I wouldn't add anything to the guides, it's all there... but honestly I would not skip the spelling lists or dictation. I would not do another program instead of them. They work.

Thank you.

I don't want to "add" anything to the guides and plan on doing the spelling list and dictation. I just don't care for R&S, so I know I will need to replace it. I am just trying to figure out what we will miss not doing R&S so I know what I need to replace. Make sense?
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:21 am

Ah gotcha! I misread and thought you were going to do your own thing for all of that. I'm sorry :)

glperky

Post by glperky » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:24 am

MomtoJGJE wrote:Ah gotcha! I misread and thought you were going to do your own thing for all of that. I'm sorry :)

Oh, that's fine! I might have just typed wrong or unclear. Thanks for the help.

So what exactly do they learn from R&S? Or what would I need to look for to replace it? Any ideas?
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

school4princesses

Post by school4princesses » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:57 pm

For vocabulary in the older guides, you can use the bold faced words from the dictation as vocabulary words for those kids that need it. You can have them look up the word in any dictionary, write the definition and any synonyms and antonyms. Then have them use it in a sentence that shows they understand how the word is to be used. For those with a visual bent, they can draw a picture as well.

Blessings.
Jennifer
DD 16 (in a performing arts charter school)
DD 14 (WH)
DD 10 (CTC)
DD 7 (BHFHG)

scampbell2003

Post by scampbell2003 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:24 pm

glperky
If you don't mind me asking...how come you don't like Rod and Staff? We have used a couple different things and really like R&S so far:) I was just curious what you didn't like. Thanks!:)
Samantha wife to Matt 11 years!

Mom to
Madison DD 10 5th grade Bigger Hearts
Colin DS 8 2nd grade Little Hearts
Logan DS 4 Pre PreK Little Hands
Evan DS almost 2

glperky

Post by glperky » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:28 pm

scampbell2003 wrote:glperky
If you don't mind me asking...how come you don't like Rod and Staff? We have used a couple different things and really like R&S so far:) I was just curious what you didn't like. Thanks!:)
I have only looked at the 5th grade level and for some reason, it overwhelms me and I have a hard time figuring it out. :oops:
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

scampbell2003

Post by scampbell2003 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Okay we are using English 2 and it is super easy so far. I imagine English 5 is a lot more difficult and diagraming going on. They say it is an advance program so I completely understand. Did the Teachers Guide help you at all?

Mom to
Evan DS almost 2

glperky

Post by glperky » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:29 pm

scampbell2003 wrote:Okay we are using English 2 and it is super easy so far. I imagine English 5 is a lot more difficult and diagraming going on. They say it is an advance program so I completely understand. Did the Teachers Guide help you at all?

Not really! The teacher guide is what really overwhelmed me. :oops: I have a friend that has the English 2 books, maybe I should look at them.
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

scampbell2003

Post by scampbell2003 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:37 pm

Or maybe backing up a level to cover the confusing stuff on a lower level. I'm not sure if that would help. But if it builds on skills maybe that would help. Maybe you should do a post about R & S. maybe some more experienced moms could help you with that:) I think I'm rambling. Lol! Maybe I should go to bed:)

Mom to
Evan DS almost 2