Sneak Peek #5: New World Geography Guide

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
water2wine

Re: Sneak Peek #5: New World Geography Guide

Post by water2wine » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:09 am

That is so great! I had the Art of on our year this year and we have not gotten to it. I feel so on track now. :D Excited for the new guide!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:38 pm

Ladies,

Hooray! :D I am thrilled that you are looking forward to the Logic part of the upcoming guide. :D I am too! :D

In answer to a couple of questions in the thread, we don't have plans right now to include the Thinking Toolbox in an upcoming guide. We like the combination of doing logic with two different companies and two different approaches, which is why we've chosen Fallacy Detective and Art of Argument. So, if you want to include the Thinking Toolbox, you may wish to plan that one for summer or on your free 5th day some year (if you'd personally like to do it with your family). :D

If you've already used the Fallacy Detective with your kiddos, then you could easily just do the Art of Argument and then award a semester credit in Logic upon its completion for the combination of it with your previous completion of the Fallacy Detective. We are actually doing this with our own oldest son. :wink: Or, if you would really like to follow the design of the plans (and had already used the Fallacy Detective), then you could substitute in the Thinking Toolbox (in place of the Fallacy Detective) and then follow the plans as written for the Art of Argument in the new guide. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:01 pm

One of the many reasons I LOVE HOD! So many items I want to include in our journey called school HOD schedules them in the manuals. Thanks Carrie for following the calling the Lord placed within you! You are a HUGE BLESSING and answer to prayer!
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

witheagerhands

Post by witheagerhands » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:38 am

YES!!!!!! I have wanted to use the logic books for several years, but never took the plunge!! WOOT!!
Sally
http://31thirteen.blogspot.com
MG, 11yo -- Preparing * Extensions * DITHOR, Level 6/7/8 + MUS
EK, 8yo -- Beyond + Cheerful Cursive + MUS
HR, 6yo -- LHFHG + Happy Handwriting
SA, 3yo -- keepin' it lively!
OCJ -- She came! 10/13/12

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:53 pm

Carrie,

I may have missed seeing this, but are you thinking this will be 4 days a week for 30 minutes?
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Yes, our plan is do logic daily! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

arstephia

Post by arstephia » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:11 pm

I am finally getting a good look at the Art of Argument. Will you be utilizing the DVDs with this program?
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:04 am

arstephia,

No, we won't be using the DVDs. We did order them and watch some and felt they did not really add an element to the program that we were seeking. The sessions were more panel oriented with students sharing with a moderator like you would see in a co-op setting. The program is complete without the DVDs and is more professionally done in written form. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

FlyingCook

Post by FlyingCook » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:23 pm

The links no longer work.