Another future programs question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lil' ladies

Another future programs question

Post by lil' ladies » Fri May 30, 2008 2:16 am

I was just wondering if it has been said anywhere yet what the basis or spine for the history component of the future programs will be?

I may have missed it or it may not have been decided yet.

I've been looking into MOH and SOTW and it's made me curious.
Annie, mom to two lil' ladies 9 and 7, working our way through 'Bigger'.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri May 30, 2008 12:37 pm

Annie,

The spines for future programs are not set yet, but I can tell you we won't be using MOH (which is actually a full-blown history curriculum on its own) or most of SOTW.

While I do believe that MOH is a wonderful history option, to me it does not feel as living as quite a few of the other history "spines" we've used at our house. At times the flow of MOH can even feel somewhat textbookish. Each volume of MOH is also quite a bit of information to cram into a year, which doesn't fit well with the CM-style philosophy we have at HOD of fewer, truly living books read slowly over time in order to savor the content.

We may use the very last volume of Story of the World in our modern-history cycle, but we also feel there are better, more living (and God-honoring) alternatives than the first 3 volumes of SOTW, so we'll omit those.

Blessings,
Carrie :D

lovetobehome

Post by lovetobehome » Fri May 30, 2008 2:57 pm

Oh, I can't wait to hear which spines you are going to use! And glad the SOTW books aren't likely to be used, I am in agreement that there are other more God-honoring books. Another challenge for us is that we are Orthodox Christian, and a lot of books are from a heavily Protestant perspective, particularly with regard to the Reformation.

lil' ladies

Post by lil' ladies » Fri May 30, 2008 3:59 pm

Thanks Carrie, that's good to know. I too can't wait to see what you do choose to use.

Thank you for all the hard work you do making this curriculum available for us all to use.
Annie, mom to two lil' ladies 9 and 7, working our way through 'Bigger'.

we6rblessed

Post by we6rblessed » Fri May 30, 2008 4:45 pm

I have been praying for you Carrie as you finish up "Preparing." May things come together as the Lord directs your thoughts.
~Linda

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri May 30, 2008 9:47 pm

Oh Linda,

Bless you! I am in prayer each day as I am writing Preparing... that the Lord will put the things He desires in our guide and that it may honor and glorify His name. I feel so much better knowing there are people praying that same thing. I pray for clarity daily. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri May 30, 2008 10:22 pm

Carrie wrote:I am in prayer each day as I am writing Preparing... that the Lord will put the things He desires in our guide and that it may honor and glorify His name. I feel so much better knowing there are people praying that same thing. I pray for clarity daily.
Carrie - I am confident that this is why God is using you as you write these guides to help so many homeschooling families. I can tell you that I could tell almost instantly as I was looking at your materials on the website that this curriculum really seeks to glorify God and teach kids to love and honor Him! This just hadn't stuck out to me elsewhere...and I know it's your prayerbathed work! God is using you to be a huge blessing to me...and others...as we seek to raise and teach our kids to love and serve Him. Thank you! We'll be remembering you in prayer here, too.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Sat May 31, 2008 7:09 am

Carrie - I am confident that this is why God is using you as you write these guides to help so many homeschooling families. I can tell you that I could tell almost instantly as I was looking at your materials on the website that this curriculum really seeks to glorify God and teach kids to love and honor Him! This just hadn't stuck out to me elsewhere...and I know it's your prayerbathed work! God is using you to be a huge blessing to me...and others...as we seek to raise and teach our kids to love and serve Him. Thank you! We'll be remembering you in prayer here, too.

Kathleen
Amen, sister!!

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you've said, and I couldn't have said it any better myself!!
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat May 31, 2008 10:00 am

Kathleen wrote:
Carrie wrote:I am in prayer each day as I am writing Preparing... that the Lord will put the things He desires in our guide and that it may honor and glorify His name. I feel so much better knowing there are people praying that same thing. I pray for clarity daily.

I so agree! It is so much more than a teachers manual. Literally I see things that I desperately want to cover with my kids spiritually handled just the way I could have never done it on my own. :wink: It's really a blessing. The only painful thing is seeing posts like this about the future then actually having to wait. :lol: It just keeps getting better and better. And honestly it is so wonderful to have something so great to wait for, so I will try to be patient. :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carly

Post by Carly » Sat May 31, 2008 3:39 pm

I, too, so appreciate the time and prayer you put into each of these books, Carrie. :-)

I'm also glad to hear that you'll be passing on SOTW.

God bless you, Carrie.

Carly

netpea

Post by netpea » Sat May 31, 2008 3:47 pm

I've not looked into any of those history spines yet but I'm glad you are so on top of things Carrie. With the programs we've used so far, everything is God-honoring and just right for their ages. Thanks for all your dedication and hard work. May God bless your family as you have blessed ours.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat May 31, 2008 9:27 pm

Oh Ladies!

You are all so wonderful about uplifting us just when we need it! The weather was beautiful here today, and I was indoors writing, writing, writing! :lol:

My hubby tells me this is a sacrifice, but a worthy one. I know I will be so thankful when the school year comes though, and I have the plans for my sweet boys already done! :D

Keep the prayers flowing, we can never be bathed in enough! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat May 31, 2008 10:24 pm

Oh Carrie! Such discipline! :shock: You do go out and run around a little, don't you?!? At least around the house a few times. :wink: I don't think I could stand staying in once the nice weather hit. (I'm worse than my kiddos about getting outside I think... :lol: ) Keep up the good work...but for every page you type, run around the house at least once. :wink: It'll be "inspiring".

Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH