Any user reviews on No-Nonsense Algebra?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Leslie in TN

Any user reviews on No-Nonsense Algebra?

Post by Leslie in TN » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:35 pm

Anyone who is using this care to comment? Also, is this considered a full Algebra I course? Thanks in advance! :D
Leslie in TN
Mama to Eva & Laura (16) and Samuel (14)

Currently using: World Geography with VideoText Algebra
Veterans of Rev2Rev, CTC, PHFHG and BLHFHG

Tabitha

Re: Any user reviews on No-Nonsense Algebra?

Post by Tabitha » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:20 pm

I'm right there with ya, and anxious to see the answers that come in.

Our 13yo/8th grader is using TT Pre-Alg right now. I skipped TT 7 since she tested out of it. She's not liking me about now (20 lessons left). She isn't into math. We're planning Saxon Alg. 1/2 before moving onto TT Alg. 1, and I'm wondering if the No-Nonsense Alg. would be a better route. For the price I don't mind buying it to have on hand just incase (and to browse through it IRL).
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Ladies,

This is considered to be a streamlined, yet complete Algebra I course. It is very straight-forward and is especially good for those students who have struggled with math (or those who have had a tough time with Algebra I) in the past. :D On the flipside, it is also good for students who may be very young when first coming into Algebra 1. :D

The online tutorials are a necessary part of the program each day. The lessons are short and to-the-point. This is a no-frills type program that covers what is needed for Algebra 1 without digressing into overly difficult word problems and application problems. It keeps everything very black and white and step-by-step.

It is good to note that after this Algebra 1 program there is not a follow-up program for Algebra II by the same author. So, there will be a need to switch to a different program for Algebra II. :D However, the program's author feels that heading into any other Algebra II program will not be a problem.

My own oldest son did much of this program prior to its release, and the online lessons are very clear. The only reason we had to make a switch to Videotext for him is that there was no book available for No-Nonsense Algebra at the time, and the worksheets were not done yet, so we had to add so much to the program to make it work. We actually added Life of Fred Algebra to it, but the combination just weighed us down. So, we eventually just switched to doing Videotext Algebra instead.

With the completion of the student book, the No-Nonsense Algebra program now has its place as a choice for Algebra I. When compared to Videotext Algebra, it is much less rigorous in its overall feel. Yet, the needed concept coverage is still there in No-Nonsense Algebra. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Carrie, this is great info. Thanks!

I think this is what we will buy for our Algebra 1 math. I was thinking of going to this next, but after tonight's math frustrations again it appears that getting more Pre-Alg with Saxon Algebra 1/2 would be best.

We will see. Dh is on dd's math case at the moment. Ahhhh, homework!
Last edited by Tabitha on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:55 pm

So glad for this information! I'm definitely going to check this out. The price is right and we are fine with no-frills!!
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:54 pm

Same author of no nonsense algebra has a prealgebra program too. might be better than Saxon.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:31 pm

Oh, Tamara, thanks for that reminder! My dd didn't like Saxon before, so I betcha this would go over much better with her. I'll look into it. Thanks!