Can dithor replace story time?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jenny

Can dithor replace story time?

Post by Jenny » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:54 pm

I am already thinking and planning for next year. Crazy, I know, but I can't seem to help it. My son is in Beyond and is working through the emerging reader set. So for next year with Bigger I guess he will be ready to start dithor level 2/3. Is there any recommendation for reading lessons that could come between the emerging reader set and dithor?
Also, could dithor replace story time in the Bigger guide? Just looking through the samples online it appears that they both have a lot of the same discussions, character traits, story elements, etc. Thanks for any suggestions. :)
Jenny
Jenny
6 yr. old son {Beyond}
www.thepearlsofhomeschooling.blogspot.com

Mommamo

Re: Can dithor replace story time?

Post by Mommamo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:45 pm

Although there is some overlap in Character and such, DITHOR is meant to be read by the student, and the story time box by you, so I wouldn't try to replace the story time box with DITHOR. They are both necessary in my opinion! :D The story time box will also introduce the student to books that he wouldn't necessarily be able to read yet. Listening to books being read is so important for a student's own reading ability too.

I think that the DITHOR grade 2 pack is a great follow-up to the ER series. The books aren't TOO advanced, but they are a bit longer. They complement the ERS very well.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:06 pm

My dd is in Beyond this year and started the ERs last year in LHFHG, so she was ready to start the next level this year. We just finished the last ER in the last two weeks and have started the DITHOR Level 2 book pack. I've decided that she is too young for DITHOR as a whole, so I'm just having her read the book pack options out loud to me and I help her when she stumbles over a word. I plan on doing this next year as well with the Level 3 pack and not starting DITHOR until she's in 3rd grade and in Preparing.
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:39 am

DITHOR level 2/3 is the next step after the emerging readers. The reading level for the level 2 books is similar or just a little step up so it's a good transition. Some dc finish the emerging readers earlier, and they aren't quite ready for the writing or study in DITHOR. Some have done what Dusty is doing and have the dc just read the level 2 book pack out loud, ask comprehension questions, or have the dc narrate them. Then after that many move onto the level 3 books and DITHOR level 2/3 student book. If the writing is still too much for the dc at that point then doing part of the writing for them in the student book is an option.

You wouldn't want to replace DITHOR with storytime. Though many of the same elements are covered as far as genre, etc. they really serve a different purpose. I know many people like to study a different genre in DITHOR than what they are currently doing in storytime. I was a strange one and liked it lining up. :wink: I felt it just emphasized everything that much more. Either way is fine, but you really want to do both. DITHOR is meant to be a reading program helping your dc in his own reading and comprehension skills. Here is what the introduction in Bigger says about reading:
A reading instruction reminder is listed in the plans daily. This is the area
where your child practices his/her reading skills.
Storytime allows you to read higher level books to your dc and helps build comprehension in listening and many other skills. Here is what the introduction in Bigger says about storytime:
Each unit includes the following reading activities in coordination with the
read-aloud assignments:
*Day 1: introduce and study different types of literature
*Day 2: model narration to foster comprehension
*Day 3: identify and analyze a different story element for each genre
*Day 4: relate personally to one Godly character trait, compare
Biblical and book characters, and make a bookmark as a
reminder of the trait
*Day 5: practice narration by retelling the story
I found that they complimented each other really well. So you have a lot of options as to when to start DITHOR, how to implement it, etc., but I would definitely recommend doing both DITHOR and storytime. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:25 pm

Great responses already! This thread explains the educational premises behind the way DITHOR and Storytime is approached in BHFHG...

Why do DITHOR when doing BHFHG? Double-dipping? By Carrie:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10769

We found BHFHG Storytime and DITHOR to both be integral to our dc's instruction for different reasons in BHFHG. Not to mention, the books are outstanding! HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Thank you all so much! :)
Jenny