CTC Paint Supplies-Trouble Locating Items

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kclj1436

CTC Paint Supplies-Trouble Locating Items

Post by kclj1436 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi I am getting around to ordering paint supplies. I have not purchased paint supplies before and am not a painter, so the web site miller pads and paper is a bit confusing to me with so many options.
I am having trouble locating the #8 red sable brush, not quite sure which 40# lb paper to use as there are a few, and unsure about which paints. I have searched this forum and found links that were even updated but it seems that the web site has changed since then. We also do not have any craft store in our town other than Walmart so all I order will need to be online.
Any and all help is much appreciated!
Thank You
Kristy

pjdobro

Re: CTC Paint Supplies-Trouble Locating Items

Post by pjdobro » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:46 pm

For the brush, I think I would just order the #7 one if you are planning on ordering everything from Miller Pad and Paper. It will be just a bit smaller than a #8, but I'm sure that will be fine. I think this is the watercolor paper that we have that we got from Miller Pad and Paper: http://www.millerpadsandpaper.com/140-D ... 12-453.htm It is a really good quality paper and doesn't wrinkle up so much when wet. I also found some paper locally here at a discount store called Ollies. It's surprising where you can find some of the art supplies. You might even want to check out what Walmart has. The other day when I was at my local Walmart in the craft department, I saw a lot of art supplies, and you might find some decent supplies there. For paints, I started out with the Jackson watercolor tubes (http://www.millerpadsandpaper.com/Jacks ... s-1974.htm), 12 tube set. There were quite a few colors that it didn't have and I ended up getting some more colors locally. I think if I were you, I would get the 18 tube set. That will probably have a better color selection for you. The Marie's tube paints look nice too, but I like the idea of having a few more colors from which to choose. I hope that helps a little. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:01 am

Try Amazon too.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:12 pm

We also ordered the 140 pound water color paper and the Jackson 18 tube set from Miller P & P. They work great! :D Otherwise, your local craft store may have some too, or Amazon as pp suggested. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:32 pm

I'd vote for the larger paint set too. we have the smaller set and are not always happy with the mixed colors.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

annaz

Post by annaz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:19 am

Walmart carries all of it. It may be 90lb paper, which is fine. They also carry watercolors and brushes and it's cheaper than Miller Pads and Paper. We initially ordered from MIller, but dd is still watercoloring, so we get it all at Walmart. Brushes, just make sure you have the larger brush and some smaller ones. They don't need to be exact.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:20 pm

You can also order a few art supplies ( not the paper) from CBD.
Maybe they would have the paint brush you need. It is listed under arts and crafts- drawing and painting.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

netpea

Post by netpea » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:45 pm

Michael's has very reasonably priced student paint sets and student brush sets. the brush set wasn't exactly the same numbers as suggested in the guide but it had two rounds in different sizes and 2 flats in different sizes. The paint set had 12 colors which means you only have to mix 2 colors.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com