New and can't wait to get started!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kissmykids

New and can't wait to get started!

Post by kissmykids » Tue May 27, 2008 11:58 pm

I just thought I'd jump in and introduce myself. :D I'm Heather, and I live in Texas with my wonderful husband and our two boys (almost 4 y.o. and 2 y.o.). I went to a curriculum fair a couple of weeks ago, mostly looking for a phonics program to do with my older ds since he's already starting to read, and I discovered HOD. I wasn't looking for a full curriculum, so I took a catalog and figured I'd come back to it some other time. But I got to looking at the guides and really liked what I saw in LHFHG. I really think most of it is because the approach is really similar to what I've been doing with preschool--but everything is integrated and I don't have to pull it all together on my own!

I had thought about doing LHFHG half-speed in the fall with my older ds and doing LHTH with my younger. But after looking at the material and really thinking about it, I think we're going to start right now (well, after we finish our insect lapbook we're working on :wink: ) with LHTH for both, adding phonics (which we're already doing) and some extras here and there for my older ds. I think academically, in terms of grasping the content and understanding the activities, he's ready for LHFHG, which is why I was leaning in that direction. But I'm not sure he'll be ready in other ways yet (attention span, for one!). Plus I know he'll enjoy the activities in LHTH, and we can add as needed without too much trouble, I think. I figure if he's really needing something more, we can always switch him to LHFHG in the fall or after Christmas. :D I can't wait to get started!
Heather

Married to an incredible dh for almost 9 years!
Mommy to two blessings:
ds 3 (almost 4) LHTH +
ds 2 LHTH

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed May 28, 2008 4:36 am

Welcome Heather! I'm sure your kids will love LHTH. My DD loved it when we went through it.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Jen in Va

Post by Jen in Va » Wed May 28, 2008 5:45 am

Welcome, Heather!
Jen
Hsing mom of 3:
DS (20) college, home educated k-12
DD (17) 12th grade (2009-10), home educated
DS (6) Beyond (2009-10, have already started--loving it, btw!)

Amey

Welcome!

Post by Amey » Wed May 28, 2008 5:50 am

Hi Heather! :D

I just wanted to say welcome! I will be doing LHFHG with my two boys (6 &4) this coming year! I'm also a fellow Texan :D but my husband I are now in Mexico...he is from Houston and I am from the DFW area. Anyway, just wanted to welcome you to the board!
Amey
Missionary Mama in Mexico to Benjamin 02, Averic 04 and Deacon 07 and our first GIRL, Phoebe, born August 16, 2009
using Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grade son, finished Beyond last year for 1st
Come visit our family website! http://www.familyafair.com

netpea

Post by netpea » Wed May 28, 2008 6:17 am

Welcome! I think starting with LHTH is a great idea! You'll enjoy it and they will too! Looking forward to getting to know you on the boards. :D

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Wed May 28, 2008 6:44 am

Heather! Hello!!

I too have a 4 year old daughter who also is probably beyond LHTH but after getting some sound advice with the ladies here, I am still going through with LHTH. I am supplementing with Handwriting without tears and some internet games, among anything else that catches our fancy.

I plan on starting out with LHTH as it is written, but two people gave me advice that if she is blowing through it too easily, to double up and do 2 units a week. We'd finish much earlier but then I can transition her into LHFHG immediately after. So we'll see what happens. :-)

Our kids are similar in age, so it will be nice to share this journey with you. :-)
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Wed May 28, 2008 7:23 am

I just wanted to say Hi and welcome to the boards! :D

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Wed May 28, 2008 8:05 am

Hello, Heather!

I am new here as well. I will be using LHFHG with my 5 1/2 y.o. son while letting my 4 y.o. daughter tag along with what she is capable and interested in. I know she would probably like LHTH but I don't think I could handle doing both programs!! :oops: :oops:

dcafamily

Post by dcafamily » Wed May 28, 2008 8:11 am

Hi Heather!! And welcome!! we too are in texas, the dfw are. Probably at the same bookfair a couple of weeks ago.

We are going thru LHTH and LHFHG at the moment with my 2 oldest. We are absolutely loving this program, wish I would have found it much earlier.
Dawn in dfw, tx mommy to
delainey using LHFHG
chandler using LHTH
and darianna just tagging along

mamaduke

Post by mamaduke » Wed May 28, 2008 9:02 am

Hi Heather,

Welcome. I'm pretty new here and to homeschooling as well! I have all small children and am getting ready to start LHTH with my oldest ds who will be 5 in June.

I too was first drawn to Little Hearts... and I think in many ways ds would be ready for some of that material. But he is all boy -- very active -- and not very good at fine motor skills. He Knows his letters and many sounds but not all. I have 100 EZ lessons for phonics but haven't started that yet.

I didn't want to miss the great activities in LHTH and I know that ds being a kinesthetic learner would really gobble those up and reinforce those letters/sounds. Plus dh said I need to start slow with homeschool to get the ball rolling with dc in regards to routine and getting used to schoolwork. LHTH looks fun for a starter, and we don't feel like we need to push the academics at this point. So we've decided to start with LHTH, and call it kindergarten. I just don't know when to start. It's only half hour a day, so easily fit it. Sounds like you have been doing more routine preschool work than I have.

I also have twin girls who will be 2 in June. I'll just let them tag along. Being girls, they might pick up quite a bit, they already love coloring and ds won't touch it.

Also, I'm preggers with #4 due in Aug so it really isn't wise to wait to start school this fall, I'll be with newborn and recovery and such then. Maybe even have to take a break. So I better order soon, (I'm talking myself into it).

I thought about just doing 100EZ lessons now and starting the guide sometime late fall/winter, but I'm afraid he will not like it and put a bad flavor on homeschool. HOD looks so FUN. My prob is that I'm so busy (and big) getting the house ready (rearranging rooms/dressers and such) for the newborn. I'm pretty zapped each day. But that's not bound to get better.

It will be fun to track journeys together. Several of us are new here with young families.

Have a great day,
Last edited by mamaduke on Wed May 28, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie
9yo ds completed Little Hands, Little Hearts, Beyond, and currently in Bigger
6yo twin girls completed Little Hands, currently in Little Hearts
4yo ds alongside
1 yo darling dd, stuffing crayons in her onesie
#6 due in April!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed May 28, 2008 9:29 am

Hi Heather! You've made a great decision here, and I'm excited for you to be able to do LHTH first because it's just a super-happy, solid start to homeschooling. Like Jessi mentioned, if you get going and want to move more quickly, you can always do one day's worth of plans in the AM, and one in the PM. We did that for a bit with one of our ds's. But, either way, you're bound to enjoy LHTH. Be sure and share with us on the Weekly Check-In - I'm kind of lonesome for memories of LHTH again. I'll need to wait another few years to do that one again. Welcome to the HOD boards!!!

In Christ,
Julie :o
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Wed May 28, 2008 1:51 pm

Hi! I'm also from Texas! My dd sounds a lot like your ds. She's actually going to turn 5 this fall. I debated LHTH or LHFHG but finally decided on LHFHG as DD was already reading short vowel words, already doing simple math, etc. We are loving it! (We're on week 2) However, I also think we would have loved LHTH as well. We'll probably do it when ds is 4 or 5, so we certainly won't miss out. :D What I'm trying to say is, I don't think you can go wrong either way!
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed May 28, 2008 8:29 pm

:D :D Hi Heather! :D :D

You're going to LOVE LHTH! We sure have so far...and we're saving it to finish and savor this fall with my 4 yo!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

kissmykids

Post by kissmykids » Wed May 28, 2008 10:06 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome! :D

I've thought about doubling up too, but I'm not sure because of my little one. I KNOW he'll be wanting to participate, so I don't know that I'm going to want to go faster. Or I could just do lighter activities with him (like I did with his brother at that age) and then start him in LHTH later. I was thinking that he'd probably end up going through it twice anyway--once as a tag-along and once really focused on him. I think we'll just have to jump in and see what works for us. :D
Heather

Married to an incredible dh for almost 9 years!
Mommy to two blessings:
ds 3 (almost 4) LHTH +
ds 2 LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 29, 2008 12:38 am

Heather,

I just wanted to welcome you too! I have so many wonderful memories from doing LHTH with my boys. We pray you will too.

My 5 year old still carries HIS Bible from LHTH to church every Sunday and lovingly looks over it page by page. :D

Blessings,
Carrie