Please check my thinking on Little Hearts for His Glory....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Blessed with seven

Please check my thinking on Little Hearts for His Glory....

Post by Blessed with seven » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:35 pm

Hi again everyone,

You all have been so nice as to help me in deciding which level to do w/ my 7 year old and 10 year old.

I have very limited $ until Feb. and am able to get a few things right now.

This is what I am thinking, I also have a 4 year old, by the way...

For those who don't remember, my son (10) got started late in formal schooling so we are still doing Phonics, he reads short vowel words and he is doing Singapore 1A in Math.

Now...it was recommended to me to do Beyond w/ my 7 and 10 year old and Little Hands w/ my 2 and 4 year old.

Right now I can't get all of that, I will be able to in February though.

I really liked the looks of Little Hearts for my 7 year old and I have the Hide Em in Your Heart CD already, I have the math books already the Science book, Family Time Bible etc..

Okay..so now to my sometimes twisted thinking..ha! I thought about getting Little Hearts and just doing it w/ my 4, 7 and 10 year old, adding read alouds w/ my 10 year old, skipping the parts he obviously won't need. This has such great Bible Verses and he could do the math he already has etc...

I wouldn't do much w/ my 4 year old, but they have coloring books to go w/ History for Little Pilgrims etc...

This would give us a feel for Heart of Dakota for the next few months and then I could order the rest..or continue w/ it until done, then go to Beyond. I would add things for my son but I think my 7 year old would love this program.

I am nuts or does this sound like a good way to try things out? I will be able to get all my curriculum in Feb. but for now this seemed like a good way to go since I have a lot of the books already. My son is also not used to sitting and "doing" school for more than probably 30-45 minutes a day...thought this could ease him in to longer read a louds also.

Let me know...I value your advice Carrie and others..

Thanks!

Kim

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:23 pm

I think it sounds like a good idea. You could always hold on to the Little Hearts program and do it w/ you 2 y/o and 4 y/o in a couple years. Also since your 10 y/o is only used to 30-45 min for school, this program would be a good start for him. I use it w/ my 5 y/o dd and we are done in 45-90 minutes depending on what extras I add on. There is also a alternative Math schedule in the Appendix for Singapore 1A & 1B. HTH!

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:37 pm

Sounds great to me. You don't need the history in the begining for very many days. So what are you not getting? Sounds like you have it all except a few work books "Do it carefully, handwriting, Finding the answer"? Are you getting the read alouds? They could be substituted for a while but I love them.

I think you will fall in love with the program. We all have. My fav. is the Rhymes! We have learned alot through the rhymes.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

Blessed with seven

Thank you....

Post by Blessed with seven » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:53 pm

I would need the "thinking skills", thinking about getting Thinking Skills 1, I have the other 2 from R & S. I also need the History and yes, I was going to get the read a louds.

Also...anyone know what books are necessary for like the first month. I can't get everything right now. Is History Story for Children later in the book?

I am so excited, I can actually get started now and, yes, it will be great having this for my up and coming children so I feel like, even if it is too young for my son, I will get Beyond for him in Feb. Anyway...thank you everyone!

Kim

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:17 pm

I am pretty sure that History Stories for Children is not used until week 10. HTH!

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:26 pm

Sounds like a plan! :D There are plenty of easy ways to "beef up" Little Hearts and there is a great book list in the back for extra read-alouds that will tie in with the history. You may enjoy it so much that you will want to finish it before you start Beyond!

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes!
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:22 pm

Hey Kim,

This sounds like a good idea. I think you've been able to sort through what would work best for your family for right now, and I would feel confident about that if I were you. After all, you know your kiddos best.

Enjoy "Little Hearts...'. I know that we are.

Blessings,
Carrie

Blessed with seven

Thank you!

Post by Blessed with seven » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:35 pm

Thank you guys very much. I am getting Little Hearts and will "improvise" w/ my son and younger daughter for now. I am excited because I can actually do this one right now, financially so..that kinda made the decision for me :wink:

But...regardless...if it were up to me I would be getting the first three books :shock: so it is probably a good thing money is tight right now, I can see how it will all work and get Beyond in a few months or more, once we get settled in w/ new baby!

I am so excited I can't stand it...I just love, love, love, when I find a great curriculum and can actually order..ha!

Thanks again...very much,

Blessings,

Kim