For those supplementing with Explode the Code...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
farmfamily

For those supplementing with Explode the Code...

Post by farmfamily » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:38 pm

how do you use it?

Do you skip around to the topics most needed, or do you just plug through the books in order?

Do you just do a page a day, or more?

I didn't use these workbooks with my oldest - she just took off after Reading Made Easy. I think my second needs a little extra practice/phonics review. I got her Book 3 because she struggled with long vowels with a silent final "e," but we've finished that part now and the rest of the workbook seems a little easy for her. Book 6 seems to include the topics she most needs help with now, but is it too much of a jump? She is 6 and doing Frog and Toad in the ERs.
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!

arstephia

Re: For those supplementing with Explode the Code...

Post by arstephia » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:30 pm

We used them daily and just plugged through. We usually did 2-3 pages each day. My kids all enjoyed doing them so when they got easy it was nothing for them to sit and do 5-6 pages "for fun" LOL! I guess that is why we got through them at the pace we needed to. They were very helpful with all of my kids and I believed helped with their dictation when they were older. I also used Reading Made Easy just FYI. The additional phonics work just cemented what they learned in RME. I highly recommend them.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

tiffanieh

Post by tiffanieh » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:57 am

We did the same as the PP. However, I will say though, that I didn't have the teachers manual, and I didn't emphasize the rules or review them as much as I'm assuming the manual would have you do. Therefore I felt like we didn't maximize the program as you could. In 2nd grade we switched to Abeka's Letters & Sound and I was HIGHLY impressed with the phonics instruction/work in those books. I highly recommend that book.
Tiffanie
http://www.thehagefamily.blogspot.com
Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, 1/2 of BHFHG and now doing PHFHG
Mommy to Ethan (10) and Ashton (9)

farmfamily

Post by farmfamily » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Thank you both for your replies! I think I will keep plugging away with Book 3 for my first grader, then. I will have her do two pages per day now, instead of one, since it seems a little easier for her. She is happy to do the pages that don't have writing, but doesn't like the writing pages much at all!

I don't have a teacher's manual either - I was just having her work through the workbook.

arstephia - how many of the workbooks did you do? Did you go all the way up to 8? I'm not sure whether book 7 or 8 may be good for my 3rd grader. She seems to be reading very well, though, and is doing fine with dictation, so maybe we don't need to bother?
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!