Taking Forever

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Aubreygirl

Taking Forever

Post by Aubreygirl » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi!

I have used HOD for over a year now and I LOVE it! This year, my 5th & 7th grader are using CTC and my 1st grader is doing BLHFHG. I love the curriculum and what they are learning, but I can't get it all done before 4pm. I even have freezer meals made ahead so I'm not spending tons of time on lunches and breakfast. I have made a schedule and the olders are doing their independent work while I read aloud and listen to younger do her reading etc. Then I do the older ones' work (math, grammar, writing, dictation, art/poetry, etc) that needs explanation. After lunch we finish that up and then do RA's for History, Bible, etc. I can't believe it's taking this long. I've been homeschooling for 6 years and I'm feeling like I'm hanging on by my toenails. Any suggestions? :(

Sincerely,
Aubrey

Aubreygirl

Re: Taking Forever

Post by Aubreygirl » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:26 pm

I've had lots of people look at my post and no suggestions. I'm having a difficult time here. So, let me ask this... Do any of you do just one side of the page instead of both sides each day? If so, how does that work out? It seems like a lot to get done. HELP! :!: :?

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Aubrey,

We must have been typing at the same time! :wink:

We certainly don't want your day going on too long! So,we'd love to problem solve with you and see where your time is going. :D First of all, it would help if we know what unit you are on, and how far into the guide you are.

Next, since it's true that language arts and math are often the biggest time drainers in the day, let's take a look at those areas. Can you share what you are using for math, spelling or dictation, grammar, writing/composition, and literature study? Also, really time those subjects to see how long each subject is taking. Math and language arts often the areas where the problems come in the day going too long. So, if you can pop back and share about just those areas that will help us advise you better. :D

Then, I'd advise you to write down the start and end times for at least one day for everything that you do during your school day. I know that takes a bit of time to track, but it is truly revealing in finding out where the time goes. :D

After that we can help you brainstorm ways to get your day under control. I will share that CTC does take some getting used to, so it is possible that your older kiddos are just working to adjust to the new workload and independence. I will admit that our time really fell off in CTC about 6 weeks into the guide. It was already quite improved by 4 weeks in though. :wink:

Be encouraged that we will help you find your sanity!

Blessings,
Carrie

Aubreygirl

Post by Aubreygirl » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:06 pm

Thank you SSSOOO much, Carrie! I will take the time to "time" our lessons and see where the struggles are. We are in unit 6 of CTC for the 5th & 7th grader. Unit 6 of BLHFHG for 1st grader. Your response is so helpful. Just knowing that there is someone who can help me figure this out. One thing for sure, not matter how long I've been doing this, it is new every year!

I'll get back with you over the next few days of timing.

Blessings,
Aubrey

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Aubrey,

That sounds good! In the meantime, if you get a chance to share even just the math and language arts first (what you're using and how much time each part takes), then we can start problem-solving a bit there while you're timing all the rest. :D

Just for reference, I'll paste below the approximate times we're intending for each part of CTC, so you can also do some comparing of your own. :D In looking at the "Learning Through History" side of the page first, we're coming up with approximately these time allotments:

Reading About History Box: 30 min.(Indpendent)
Storytime: 20 min.
Project/ Written Narration Box: 20 min.(Independent)
Bible Quiet Time: 20-30 min. (Independent)
Independent History Study: 15-20 min. (Independent)

In looking through the "Learning the Basics" side of the page next, we're coming up with approximately the following time allotments:

Geography/Genesis Study: 20 min.
Poetry: 15 min.(Independent)
Dictation: 5 min.
Grammar or Write with the Best: 20 min.
DITHR: 30 min.
Math: 30 min.
Science: 30 min. (Independent)

This equals 270 min. a day, if all subjects were done each day. Grammar, dictation, Write with the Best and DITHR actually rotate through the language arts box, which means they aren't all done every day. This will lessen the overall daily time. Any boxes that are meant to be independent have 5-10 extra min. built into the time allotment above due to the fact that when kiddos are doing something on their own, it often takes longer than anticipated. So, we've built time in for that!

Blessings,
Carrie

Aubreygirl

Post by Aubreygirl » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:16 pm

We use Horizons Math. We have used it from the beginning. I have them do one lesson a day. We also do Easy Grammar. Only one lesson per day. Will get the times tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again for the link about approximate times!

Blessings,
Aubrey