Bigger-spelling or dictation???

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jacynamommy

Bigger-spelling or dictation???

Post by jacynamommy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:43 pm

My almost 9 year old (3rd grade) is getting ready to begin Bigger. In Beyond, he did spelling list 1. I questioned part way through the year whether I should move him up to list 2, as he almost always already knew how to spell the spelling words in list 1. I decided to just stick with what we were doing since in our state we don't have formal evaluation testing. We got our box of books today (which was super exciting, I might add), and I was looking through the spelling list again. I think he already knows how to spell most all those words. I actually verbally quizzed him on a few of the harder ones, and to my surprise he got most of them right. He did miss a couple, but only a few harder ones toward the end of the units. So I'm not sure what to do. Should I stick with the spelling list since we haven't formally done those words? Or do I skip ahead to the harder spelling lists toward the end and then move on to dictation? Or do I just skip over the spelling altogether and do the dictation? Looking at it, I think he could easily do it. Please, please, please offer me some advice! :D Thanks so much!
Meredith

Trusting in Him to supply all my needs! Phil. 4:19
Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond

creekmama

Re: Bigger-spelling or dictation???

Post by creekmama » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:55 am

I'm in the same boat, Meredith. My 8yo son is in unit 8 of Bigger. He is a pretty good speller, but I decided to stick with spelling for now because I don't think he's quite ready for dictation. I'm looking forward to reading the responses you get from other moms.
Kelley
Peter (12, Res to Ref)
Betsy (9, Preparing)

jacynamommy

Post by jacynamommy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Kelley,
I just noticed when looking through the intro stuff in the Bigger guide that Carrie suggests going with dictation if your child can already spell most of the spelling words on the list. I'm wondering if that's what I should do??? Curious for more responses, as well. Thanks!
Meredith

Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:37 pm

I think you should go ahead with dictation. Level 1 is pretty easy with nice short sentences. I started with son with spelling List 2 in Bigger and it was too easy for him, but I wanted to build his confidence. About halfway through the year, we switched to dictation level 1. I *meant* to do it over the summer, but didn't, so we picked up where we left off for Preparing. He actually enjoys it!
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

Robin Ruth

Post by Robin Ruth » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:56 pm

My daughter is 9 (4th grade) and we just started Bigger. This is our first year with HOD. We started the dictations from the Bigger manual last year. She never missed one. I was considering moving her up in a higher dictation when we started this year, but then she got one wrong- LOL! She has since been doing well. I am not a veteran HOD'er, but I think you will know if it's not working out. Go ahead and try dictation. If it's too difficult, you will know. :D
Robin
married for 22 years
dd 10 PHFHG /DITHOR 4/5

jacynamommy

Post by jacynamommy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:19 am

Thanks ladies, I appreciate the input!
Meredith

Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG