First week of CTC done!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
andreacress

First week of CTC done!

Post by andreacress » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:46 am

This is our first year with HOD and I must say we loved our first week with CTC. My ds 11 yr. really liked the variety. In the past we've stuck to workbook types of curriculum. He loved the hands-on history project and notebook - so much more memorable than a worksheet. He really liked listening to the Waring CDs ("She laughs a lot", he said). I was thrilled to see him doing his Quiet Time on his own so diligently and the Bible & Geography were short, sweet and to the point. As the teacher, I really appreciated the way the Language Arts is scheduled - not trying to do it all everyday - a great combination of R & S, WWTB, dictation and DITHOR - I felt like all the bases were covered without being overwhelmed. He dislikes poetry but combining it with painting made it MUCH more palatable. Narration is new for us but he surprised me by making a good first effort. I'm sure he'll improve rapidly and I like how it forced him to focus on what he was reading/or was being read. He tends to daydream - so this should help. I decided to do both the Storytime books and the Extensions, and I'm so glad I did. We did storytime during "school-time" and then he did his extensions as evening reading. It worked out super! I was surprised how quickly we got through our day - usually faster than what I had scheduled. I couldn't be more pleased and grateful!
Andrea in FL

ds, 10th grade, World History Guide

pjdobro

Re: First week of CTC done!

Post by pjdobro » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:25 pm

Congratulations on a great first week with HOD! I am so happy to hear how much you and your son both enjoyed CTC and how smoothly it went. We'll be starting CTC after Labor Day so it's encouraging to hear of your great week and makes me more excited to begin! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:41 am

HOORAY!! So glad that you and your ds had such a wonderful first week. :D
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:46 am

CTC is a great year. Enjoy and glad it started well.
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:29 am

Congratulations on a great first week with CTC! :D We had such fun with that guide last year! With HOD, the guides just seem to keep getting better and better! :D

Blessings on a great school year to come! :wink:
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

gardeninMum2-3

Post by gardeninMum2-3 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:22 pm

We just finished our first week also and it went great. I love how the readings are overlapping to teach the content so well. Our two boys are 9 and 13 so we are using extensions also.
I am so excited for week two!

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:47 am

We finished our first week of CTC and now on our second. It's been the best HOD so far in my opinion! In fact, on Friday night, my son said before he went to bed, "I'm kinda glad and kinda sad tomorrow is Saturday. I like our new school lessons." WOW! That says a lot if you know him! I hope it will continue through the school year!! :D

We really love the painting with the poetry, all the hands on stuff, and I love the history notebook. We do enjoy the What in the World cd too.

Thanks Carrie, for such a wonderful curriculum.
-Kirsten
Creation to Christ 2012-2013
Aaron 11/2000
Heidi 1/2003

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:31 pm

HOORAY - your excitement is catchy! :D :D :D I get to do CTC again this year with my middle ds, Riley, and I am looking forward to it! Thanks for sharing! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

andreacress

Post by andreacress » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:45 am

Thanks ladies! This board is so supportive - another advantage of using HOD. Julie - we've really appreciated your past posts for the CTC history projects. My son was having trouble figuring out how to do the Sumerian cylinder seal. I found a picture of the one your son did and then he had no problem. I was amazed how well it worked. What a memorable way to learn about ancient writing! Love it!!
Andrea in FL

ds, 10th grade, World History Guide

aprilmd

Post by aprilmd » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:11 am

I am so excited we start CTC Tuesday. Can I wait, can I wait? Yes, I can. My daughter pulled out her CTC notebook last night and showed her dad. She said "DADDY... look what I get to do this year!!!" :D :D :D
April - BHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WG & now WORLD HIST
2014-2015
DD 16- World Hist, Chemistry, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 15- World Hist, Bio, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 13- MTMM/ext, finish R&S Eng. 6, Saxon Alg 1

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:43 am

Oh, how exciting!!! I can't wait to get started. Your excitement is catchy =o)
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

miracleone

Post by miracleone » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:25 pm

We're in Unit 7 this week. At first my daughter would complain about all the writing she had to do but now she is very happy seeing how her notebook is filling up and getting so pretty. I love how CtC lets her use her creativity (she's very hands-on and loves to draw) while learning.