Just loving it... our first week.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Teena6

Just loving it... our first week.

Post by Teena6 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Started school this week. My two youngest boys.... 9 & 10 started on BHFHG. I have extensions. The first day was tough and they had summer brain. Each day a little better. I am reading a lot to them.... wonder if that is ok? I did Bigger with Alyssa ... first time ever using HOD... back in 2008. She did read a lot on her own. The boys like me reading to them.

Today we made the balloon with the index cards of the continents/oceans .... (I couldn't find a balloon so thought of not doing this) daughter found a balloon. THEY LOVED IT. The things I think they wouldn't like they LOVE and they GET IT! Yay!!! :D :D :D :D

We were reading .... and Wesley (just turned 9, takes a while to catch on) said "wait, wait... you mean Pedro and Columbus were on the same ship, this is so cool!"

My daughter talks all the time about her best year being the year we did Bigger. She is so excited about MTMM. We are waiting for our guide/books.

Also, bought them a sketch book to do their science journaling and experiments. Today we did the penny/balloon in a sink of water. They thought that was so cool. I led them through the science journaling.... Question, Guess, Procedure, Conclusion.... they LOVED it.

Just wanted to share with you.
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL
using BHFHG & MTMM (in the fall 2012)

lissiejo

Re: Just loving it... our first week.

Post by lissiejo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:52 pm

What an encouragement :) Sounds like you are ALL having a great time!
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

mama247

Post by mama247 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:03 pm

We did the exact same thing today! I used my big exercise ball as the "earth" and we posted the oceans and continents on it. We really enjoyed doing it together. :D

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:31 pm

thanks, Ladies. Yes, it is lots of fun. So thankful for this......

we are very excited!
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL
using BHFHG & MTMM (in the fall 2012)

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:33 am

Good job, on a great first week! :D Sounds like they're really getting into the stories and enjoying learning! You'll have to keep us updated on how MTMM is progressing through the year. That guide, like all the others, looks SO good! :D

Have fun and blessings on your school year! :wink:
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:24 am

Way to go! :D :D :D Sounds like an awesome first week! I have found MY attitude is HUGE when it comes to homeschooling. I like your attitude here - good attitudes are catchy. :D We'll be doing MTMM this year too - have to share together. Hey, take pictures if you think to - I'll be making an MTMM photobook at the end of the year! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie