Preparing Hearts Beginning Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
dianemahon

Preparing Hearts Beginning Question

Post by dianemahon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:49 pm

Sorry if this has been answered previously, but I didn't see it anywhere and don't have time to keep searching....

I just received my teacher's guides (YAY!) and was reading in PHFHG that in several subjects they will use a "common place book" and in others, a place to store their work. Is it recommended to have a separate common place book for each subject, or would it be okay to use one book (say, a composition book) for all of it together, and just get a new one whenever the first one fills up? OR I was thinking of using a three ring binder with loose lined paper and then adding it into the binder by subject as it is completed. Looking for guidance to start. Thanks!!

beverett

Re: Preparing Hearts Beginning Question

Post by beverett » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Here is a link for you to check out! I used it when getting ready for Preparing hearts myself! We loved our year with it, you are in for a treat! :D :D :D

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10426

Also, I always read the Introduction each time I start a guide, Carrie lays out exactly what is needed for each area. A common Place book is for writing things like Bible Verses and famous quotes. They will keep it over the years and add to it or you can get a new one each year your choice. It is meant to put special things for looking back at later :D And here is a list of exactly what I used in case it would be helpful for you as well:

-2 (1 1/2 inch) Notebooks with tabs and page protectors
Science notebook with 3 sections- Science notebooking, science questions, and science experiments (88 pg protectors in all)
History notebook with 3 sections- Projects (there are not to many projects that will fit into the notebook though), Independent history, and written narration (approx.. 72 pg protecters i think we used less though)
-3 compostion books or spirals (or one big one with 3 sections) for Rod and Staff, Dictation, and math
-3 folders- one to hold dictation pages i copied for them, one for poetry copies and their poetry writing in page protecters, and one for Dithor projects
-recipe box and alphabet tabs and lots of index cards for vocabulary
-common place book (this is a nice journal i picked up at the christian bookstore near us, i let each child pick a special one for themselves) :D :D

Hope this helps!
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

dianemahon

Post by dianemahon » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks! When you say "notebook" do you mean a three ring binder or a spiral bound notebook? I have gone through the intro again and written a list out and your suggestions are great.

Also I was wondering about spelling...I've been using Sequential Spelling because it is a great fit for my older 2 kids' learning styles, but it says the dictation is for spelling. I love it and agree that we should do dictation, in your experience would there be a way to fit in Seq. Spelling as well or do you think I should substitute it until we are done with it (we're about halfway)?

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks! When you say "notebook" do you mean a three ring binder or a spiral bound notebook? I have gone through the intro again and written a list out and your suggestions are great.
She means binders.
Last edited by luv2homeschool on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:48 pm

I think doing both sequential spelling and dictation would be overkill-if you want to try dictation, I'd say go for it, and give it some time-dicatation is a "slow burn", but very effective over time-it has brought great improvement in my dd's spelling over the past 2 years :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12