Rushing through ARFH K?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rgrindle

Rushing through ARFH K?

Post by rgrindle » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:54 pm

My just-turned 5-year-old begs to to a page of ARFH K every day. Even on weekends. I've been trying to hold him back, but should I? I've tried getting him to use some other handwriting and/or coloring books on our "off" days, but he refuses. I've tried hiding the book, thinking "out of sight", but he'll tear the house up searching for his "aminal letter" book. He's doing well on his handwriting, and I'm not letting him rush his work. I'm just worried that he won't be (mentally) ready for level A by early September, which is when he'll finish K at this rate. Any ideas?
DS(13.5) - Rev2Rev, R&S Grammar 6, Principles of Math 1
DS(12) - Res2Ref, R&S Grammar 5, Singapore Math 6

Kathleen

Re: Rushing through ARFH K?

Post by Kathleen » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:53 pm

If he still needs more practice on letters before writing words/verses, maybe you could just get another copy of the K book. If he loves it that much, he probably wouldn't mind. :wink: And, that's what I would be tempted to do in your shoes.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

netpea

Re: Rushing through ARFH K?

Post by netpea » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:38 am

Let him do it. My son used to beg to do earlybird math every day and I didn't let him. Eventually he got frustrated with me and stopped asking but he never enjoyed math as much. I let my next daughter do it every time she asked. If they aren't ready to move on to another book I just get a different workbook to do in between levels.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com