Combining two ages...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MrsKnapp

Combining two ages...

Post by MrsKnapp » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:58 pm

This question may have been asked already, I'm not sure! My apologies if it has been.

This coming year, I will be doing K with my son (who will turn 6 in November). We will be doing LHFHG.

Next year, he will be almost 7 when we start, and my second son will be starting K. Both boys have attended our church's phenomenal preschool program for 3yo, 4yo and a 4+ K readiness program (only the oldest will have attended that). They are both eager learners, but possibly the older one moreso. Birth order, lol?!

For next year (and maybe even some this year), is it possible to school them together at all at this age (and subsequent ages)? I don't want my oldest to get bored, but I do think it would be wonderful if I can do mostly the same for both of them in these younger years.

I'd LOVE some thoughts on this and practical ways to do it!
Thanks!
Kelly
Kelly, wife to Jeff
Blessed immeasurably more than all I could ask for or imagine!
Our choices for the 2014-2015 school year:
Jeffery (7) -- Bigger with R&S 2, DITHOR
John (6) -- Bigger with Emerging Readers
Katherine (3)
Margaret (6mos)

tiffanieh

Re: Combining two ages...

Post by tiffanieh » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:31 am

I did. (although this year I'm going to separate them) but my oldest was 7 (1st grade) and my youngest was 5 (K) and we did LHFHG together with grade appropriate math and reading for each. It was a FANTASTIC year! Perhaps you could do LHTH for your K this year, saving LHFHG for next year. Really work on his reading, math, handwriting, and lots of yummy readalouds to supplement.
Tiffanie
http://www.thehagefamily.blogspot.com
Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, 1/2 of BHFHG and now doing PHFHG
Mommy to Ethan (10) and Ashton (9)

amysue277

Post by amysue277 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:55 am

I can relate! My son will turn 6 in Dec, and next just turned 4. I am doing the right side of LHFHG with the older for K (along with some other supplemental stuff to round out a K curriculum). I am also doing pre-k with the 4 year old. We will then do LHFHG (with 1st grade options for the older) the following year. I need to combine because of the size of my young, growing family.

Is this plan an option for you? I may end up doing Beyond and Biggeer 4 days a week, or halftime if I feel like the younger needs to catch up. I feel like I can always pull extensions and other things to challenge the older one.

just something to chew on! Good Luck-I agonized over my decision to wait...I know it's hard!

Amy
Amy

DS 6-LHFHG w/ ER's and Singapore 1a/b
DS 5-LHFHG
DS 3-keeping up with his brothers
DD 2-into everything!
DD born 3-10-13

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:45 am

I can not speak for using Heart of Dakota materials at that age but I have 2 with similar ages and we have almost always combined. My oldest has a Dec birthday and next has July one. That makes them 29 months apart in age but just 2 grades apart in school. My oldest completed K & 1st on his own. Then my middle did K on his own while my oldest did 2nd on his own. I began combining when they were 1st & 3rd. That just seemed to be best for my two. We have combined ever since and this coming school year they will be 6th & 8th. We did not start using HOD until 3rd & 5th. :D love HOD!!!!

Suzy
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

MrsKnapp

Post by MrsKnapp » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:58 pm

I won't combine until next year when I will have a 1st and a K. And we'll see how it goes. I could always just do LHFHG with 1st options and then do the K as is. I'll have to feel it out. It's good to know that it's been done!
Kelly, wife to Jeff
Blessed immeasurably more than all I could ask for or imagine!
Our choices for the 2014-2015 school year:
Jeffery (7) -- Bigger with R&S 2, DITHOR
John (6) -- Bigger with Emerging Readers
Katherine (3)
Margaret (6mos)