Singapore Math question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
blessed2five

Singapore Math question

Post by blessed2five » Thu May 24, 2012 2:54 pm

I have decided to place my dd 10 into SM. She places into 3B and I would like to start now. We have never used this type of math before, so I am not sure exactly what I will need to teach her the mental math concepts. Would I be able to use just the WB and TB, or would it be beneficial to get an Instruction guide also?

We have really enjoyed our first year with HOD and my oldest daughter insists on continuing with RevtoRev for her freshman year!

Thank you for all your help!
Emily
Homeschooling mom to 5dc, wife to wonderful dh
dd 13 finished RTR onto RevtoRev in the fall
dd 10 Preparing
dd 5 ready for LHFHG
ds 16, dd 3

creativemommy

Re: Singapore Math question

Post by creativemommy » Thu May 24, 2012 7:40 pm

My ds is in 3A and I personally like the Home Instructor's guides. I like the suggestions given for activities & games to introduce and review concepts. My ds LOVES doing them and having the guide keeps me from having to design my own. I'm sure they aren't for everyone, but they work well for us. :)
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

blessed2five

Post by blessed2five » Fri May 25, 2012 5:32 am

Thank you Beth! I think I will start out with the Instructors guide for the first book and see how it goes. Do you use the US edition or standards? I have heard good things about both.
Emily
Homeschooling mom to 5dc, wife to wonderful dh
dd 13 finished RTR onto RevtoRev in the fall
dd 10 Preparing
dd 5 ready for LHFHG
ds 16, dd 3

edsnyder

Post by edsnyder » Fri May 25, 2012 9:33 am

Is the home instructors guide sold on HOD website? I am going to need it for us starting next fall - for we will be doing Bigger and from what I have gathered there aren't actual teaching activities to go with it - I should have bought bigger this year for that stuff for the 2a and 2b books but I failed there. And hopefully I didn't completely mess him up on his math - bc he is not loving it like he used to...
Elisa help meet to my husband Luke of 12 years and mother of three awesome children:
ds9 - Bigger
ds6 - Beyond - Half Speed
dd3 - Little Hands -

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Mon May 28, 2012 9:08 pm

We use the US Edition as it goes with the textbook/workbooks HOD sells.

No, HOD doesn't sell the Home Instructor's guides. :( I bought mine from a popular homeschool retailer online.

The Bigger guide contains hands-on activities for 2a & 2b, but they aren't daily.

We use the Home Instructors guides as my kids are ahead of the HOD guides in math. Also, I like how the guides help with mastery of facts. :)
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger