Who uses HOD exactly as written?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Maadrose

Who uses HOD exactly as written?

Post by Maadrose » Wed May 23, 2012 9:50 am

Do you use it as written? If so do you feel like your dc are missing anything?

Do you add anything extra? If so what?

Do you use the grammar and math or something else? If you use something else for grammar and math what do you use?

I'm looking to add the fallacy detective to RtR for my oldest and just wonder where/how to schedule it?
I do realize that all HOD guides are extremely complete, but I'm just curious as to what others use/do? I'm also thinking about adding to the science in bigger for my 7yo. He really loves science. It's his "specialty" lol! I'm thinking of addin an usborne science experiment book or the science experiments in a bag books. We actually own those and it would be nice to put them to use!
"Big Mack"--Finishing up high school :)
"Cherry Berry Chiller"--geography
"Small fry"--Rev2Rev
"Happy Meal"--fun-school

http://sewhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/
Http://roseacademyacademics.blogspot.com

MomtoJGJE

Re: Who uses HOD exactly as written?

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed May 23, 2012 10:01 am

We use HOD exactly as written with the English and math they suggest. I do not feel the need to add to it.

We do science experiment kits occasionally for fun, check out historical/biographical/scientific books from the library for fun, and other random things for fun. But it's not something I schedule in, nor do I feel they are necessary.

jhperry

Post by jhperry » Wed May 23, 2012 10:13 am

We've done LHFHG, Beyond & just completed Bigger. I have learned that when I try to add in other things, I usually start to skimp on something in the guide...only to find out my kiddos would have learned what I added at a later time. I'm at the place where I am content using the guides as written and focus on doing them wholeheartedly :D .

As far Math, we began with Math U See and it has been a great fit for our family.

Hope that helps!
Jamie
*Mom to Ds 14, Dd 12, Dd 10, and Ds 5
*Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, DITHOR, CTC, RtoR, Rev2Rev & MTMM

psreit

Post by psreit » Wed May 23, 2012 10:19 am

HOD is full. We basically do it as written. I did add Explode the Code for a little phonics with the ER books, just because we didn't completely get through a phonics book, which was my fault from jumping around. :oops: If this is your first year to use HOD, you will realize that it does not need supplemented, unless you are needing the extensions for an older child. We will begin Bigger in the fall, and from what I can tell, there will be plenty of science with the activities and notebooking. It is totally up to you as to how you want to use the guide, but I can assure you that HOD is very rich and complete curriculum. My plans for this fall are Bigger, as is. Extracurricular stuff will include Piano, PE, some extra art stuff(just because dd loves art), and Keepers at Home(life skills). Honestly, after our HOD work, we don't always find time to do the extra art and life skills, but I'm satisfied that dd is getting what she needs in HOD, :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

netpea

Post by netpea » Wed May 23, 2012 12:46 pm

All we add is extra art and music and our Community Bible Study lesson, otherwise we do it as written including HOD's math and grammar recommendations.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Wed May 23, 2012 2:42 pm

We are in LHFHG and have completed LHTH in the past. I use different phonics recommendations and add in ETC. I added in Horizons Math K to the Singapore, but only because my DD wanted more math and I didn't want to jump ahead in the guide. We also are doing Little Keepers of the Home from Keepers of the Faith. Next year with BLHFHG we will be adding more nature study, Song School Latin and picture study.

Oh, and we do occasionally take a break from HOD to do a different unit study, but we are year round schoolers. We just finished a four week gardens unit study while we planted ours. :) We started back in LHFHG this past Monday.
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Wed May 23, 2012 8:30 pm

We've used/are using LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond & Bigger. We enjoy them as written. :)
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

creekmama

Post by creekmama » Thu May 24, 2012 5:46 am

We have done LHFHG and BLHFHG and are currently doing Beyond and LHTH. We do most of them as written, including Carrie's math and phonics recommendations. The exception is LHTH. I confess I've sort of piddled around with it. I started my daughter with it when she was quite young then resorted to doing R & S workbooks with her because I could do that with her while I did math with her brother. She also used to sit with us for all his Bible, reading, history, etc. and participated in his art projects, etc. That's changed. I use LHTH more now with her but continue to use the R&S workbooks because she is so far ahead in those. Soon she will move up to LHFHG--then it is HOD all the way! When my son starts Preparing next year, we will use the four-day schedule to add a Spanish curriculum.
Kelley
Peter (12, Res to Ref)
Betsy (9, Preparing)

arstephia

Post by arstephia » Thu May 24, 2012 8:00 am

We were already well established in a math program when we started HOD several years ago so I never switched to the Singapore math. Other then that, we do it pretty much as written. As for adding anything, I did Explode the Code with the Emerging Readers because it worked with my older kids, so my youngest did them too. I also added a map skills workbook only because dd is very interested in maps and it is something she can be left to do when I am doing something with the older ones. I have added fun stuff for Fridays. If I had only done HOD from the beginning when my older ones were starting (HOD wasn't available then) I would likely do it just as written.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 24, 2012 10:19 am

We've used LHTH through RevtoRev - I know, lucky me, right?!? We use them as written and find them to be just full enough our dc are challenged, but not too full that they get too much of school. :D The balance of hands-on and seatwork, disciplinary and inspirational subjects, and incredible living book selections with varied follow-ups keeps us enjoying our HOD journey from year to year, guide to guide. I added "Typing Instructor" for my oldest this year, but otherwise that's it. :D Oh, and I guess I "added" the rest of the Storytime and Extension sets from HOD that we didn't use for fun free reading for the boys, just because I am always on the hunt for great books, and I thought why not use the ones we didn't use in HOD? I'm not sure if that's really an "added" thing though, as the kids do it for fun whenever they want to all year long. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu May 24, 2012 1:43 pm

my HODie kids do their guides as is except we use math mammoth (but it is still asian math like singapore, a method which HOD sold me on) and bc i love languages, we are starting to add latin. i want to keep the bible study in the guides for the kid in that guide to do with me, so i added a bible based character program to do all together each morning and/or evening. we do let them read hod books we didnt use from other storytime and dithor packs, or even extensions, just for fun. i have book lovers here!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling