Recommendations for 8th grader with youngers using HOD?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MommyInTraining

Recommendations for 8th grader with youngers using HOD?

Post by MommyInTraining » Sun May 18, 2008 5:41 pm

Suggestions please :D !

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun May 18, 2008 5:47 pm

Hi Terri,

I'm getting ready to watch a movie with this cute red head I'm married to, but wanted to ask you a quick question?

Where is your 8th grader academically? Could she/he tag along for the hx/science, DITHOR, bible, poetry and then do her/his own math/Lang arts?
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Sun May 18, 2008 5:56 pm

MamaMary wrote:
red head I'm married to

Where is your 8th grader academically? Could she/he tag along for the hx/science, DITHOR, bible, poetry and then do her/his own math/Lang arts?
Hey, I'm a red head too :D But no full red headed babies yet!

The recommendation would be for a friend, my oldest is only nine. But, I would assume that her 8th grader is probably advanced.

If she is intrested in HOD after she looks at the links I sent, maybe she can pop in and tell us more.

I was just wanting to hear what you ladies thought and see if there was any info I could pass on to her.

Thanks!

Ruth in FL

8th grader

Post by Ruth in FL » Mon May 19, 2008 6:47 pm

hi Terri!
I am going to use BIGGER for the spine of my 8th grader's studies this year.
She will read all the extension pack history books and the two hardback books. You can do a websearch on other "literature based curriculums" and get more book lists for more reading material if you would like.
My dd will do science with our co-op BUT I want her to read the "Exploring Planet Earth" book too. She likes to join in on our science things so she will get some more science that way.

For Math, I use PACES. For LA, I am trying something out called "Jump In". It is a writing program for kids who dont like to write or want to,but cant seem to get going. It is from Apologia.
I am getting a simple grammar book called "All in One English".
Apples Spelling for her since she is dyslexic and spelling is not her thing!
Dictations will be done with her readings too.

So, that is what I am doing this year for her. IF you want to chat more about this, I would love to!

hope this helps,
Ruth,who isnt a redhead :)
married 20 yrs to Mark, mom to three daughters 25,14,10
two sons 19 and 17, Nana to two boys 6 and 3.
Proud mother in law of a US Army Soldier.