materials needed

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rockridgegal

materials needed

Post by rockridgegal » Tue May 15, 2012 7:55 am

Hello Ladies !!! I am so excited we have recently received the Bigger Hearts are we are sooo excited !!!!! :D :D

I was wondering if there was a topic about the things to get and how to make the day go smooth ?

I am a nurse and work part time in the am til 1230 pm so I will have to do school in the afternoon and will not have a lot of time for prep and would love to know if any moms have worked and set up the program in binders and folder and such before getting started to make each day go smoothly ? I was hoping someone had already found a great way to make it work while working outside the home and being able to open everything up and go!!!

So Happy to be here !!!

Kim

lissiejo

Re: materials needed

Post by lissiejo » Tue May 15, 2012 11:27 am

I work two part-time jobs. One is teaching at a homeschool learning center for 3 hours one day a week and the other is teaching piano from my home for 2 hours a day, so I work a total of 13 hours during the week. While it sounds like you have a lot more out-of-home house than I do, I still make everything as open and go as possible because I need to in order to be able to really focus on what I'm teaching each day.

On the weekend I write out a lesson plan with page numbers so it's all on one page for all of my girls with boxes to check off when completed. I also keep all books for each of my girls in their own box so it's easy to find quickly. I also tab the sections in the guide and workbooks which I'll need for the first day. After each portion of the day's lesson is completed I check it off my list, move the tab, then I'm ready for the next day. It takes some prep on the weekend, but not much now that I'm used to it (maybe 30 minutes?) and it saves me a lot of time as far as actual school time. My oldest daughter is able to pull out a particular subject and get started on her own oftentimes.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Tue May 15, 2012 1:31 pm

My oldest is currently using Bigger and loves it! I try to read ahead each week to make sure I have all the supplies for history/science projects so I can buy them when I'm out over the weekend. Otherwise it is all open & go each day! :)

This is what we use:

Index cards (for vocabulary words & we also use them to write the verse for each unit)

Index card box with a-z inserts to alphabetize words

3-ring binder(s) to hold science & history NBing pages, we use one for both but some people like seperate ones

Package of white card stock for science & history NB pages

Spiral notebook used for dictation work
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

edsnyder

Post by edsnyder » Tue May 15, 2012 5:53 pm

Here is a thread - hope it works since I have never done this - but Julie aka my3sons (Carrie's sister) gave me this thread when I was asking or someone and I bookmarked because we will be doing it next year...

Bigger set-up with pictures :)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5531

Hope that works :)
Elisa help meet to my husband Luke of 12 years and mother of three awesome children:
ds9 - Bigger
ds6 - Beyond - Half Speed
dd3 - Little Hands -

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue May 15, 2012 11:22 pm

Welcome Kim! :D

So glad that you're going to get to enjoy Bigger Hearts! I'm just now starting it with my little gal, and am loving remembering the fun I had the 1st time through with my oldest. :D You're going to have a great year!! That thread Elisa linked you to will definitely give you some ideas for setting it up. If you just read through the intro to the guide, it really lays out everything you will need to think of before you dive in. And, I have to say that the fact that HOD's guides really are super for using open-and-go makes my days run so much more smoothly. My prep time literally is MOVING MY STICKY TAB to the next page. :lol:

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

rockridgegal

Post by rockridgegal » Wed May 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks so Much Ladies !!! :D :D
I think I can do this....... I am so OCD about stuff and just hope with the 3.5 hour suggestion they are saying ... I hope I can still get the regular mommy and wife stuff done. :lol:

It will be a challenge , but one I am so ready for in our family!!! Thanks for the links as well.

Kim