How do I combine?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
blessedmama

How do I combine?

Post by blessedmama » Mon May 14, 2012 8:02 pm

I have four children who will be in 5th(age 10/11 in Nov), 4th (age 9), 2nd (age 8), and 1st (age 6). This past year we did Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and LHHG. It wasn't really that bad doing four guides but I think I might like to try combining.

My problem with combining is that each of the children are at a different level as far as reading and math and it would almost feel like more work trying to figure out what to combine and what to do separate. Ugh....I don't know what to do. Any advice?
Saved by Grace,
Sara D.

Wife of DH for 13 years! Mother to my four wonderful blessings from the Lord (DD 11; DS 10; DS 9; DD 7)

lovetobehome

Re: How do I combine?

Post by lovetobehome » Mon May 14, 2012 8:37 pm

I plan to combine this year. Last year we did Res to Ref and Preparing. This year, we are planning to do Rev to Rev together, with my 12yo and 10yo and 4 yo :lol:
Two guides was doable, but I really want to try them together. They are at very different levels...so I will expect different things from them. Each has their own math/english and maybe other things. But I got them both notebooking pages, and we will try reading some of it aloud for my 10 year old. I just want to try having us together, on the same page this time. We'll see how it goes!
My 5 yo will be doing math and reading, and nothing else structured.
DS 11 Finished CtoC! Moving on to RtoR!
DD 9 Preparing- Hoping to give her the best year possible, and sticking to the guide as written!
DS 4 All About Reading, R&S preschool workbooks, maybe some Little Hands

my3sons

Re: How do I combine?

Post by my3sons » Thu May 17, 2012 10:43 am

I do think that combining somewhere would work! Let's go back to the drawing board. Can you share about each of your dc individually with the first page of the placement chart in mind? Try not to think about what guides they've already done, but rather about their reading, writing, grammar, and math skills. Then, we will all help with ideas! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie