Do you cover your manual?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Shimmer

Do you cover your manual?

Post by Shimmer » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:27 pm

My Beyond manual is looking a little tattered after this year and it needs to last for another 3 kids. :) Do you cover your manual with clear contact paper or anything else? If so, can you give me detailed instructions and preferrably pictures? LOL... I am a neat freak with books. I don't write in them and want them looking as pristine as possible. I'm not suggesting there is any problem with the manuals holding up. It just doesn't look new anymore with the typical curlying at the edges and a few unfortunate creases when my 1 yo got a hold of it. I want to try clear contact paper on one, but I'm not sure what to do with it on the inside of the cover to make it look smooth and nice.
2016-2017
dd1 - ResToRef
dd2 - Preparing
dd3 - Beyond
dd4 - LHTH

abrightmom

Re: Do you cover your manual?

Post by abrightmom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:54 pm

I cover mine with clear packing tape. I LOVE it and I find it a LOT easier to work with than sheets of contact paper. I don't know how in the world to describe the process though. 8) My guides are tidy and the corners don't curl.
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14

AwaitingHisReturn

Post by AwaitingHisReturn » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:56 pm

I do clear contact and it actually keeps the cover from curling. The cover is not as shiny, but it certainly does preserve it and makes it stronger. As far as creases, they are inevitable if the kids touch the manuals.

HTH,
Adrienne

birchbark

Post by birchbark » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:58 pm

I cover mine with contact paper and they hold up beautifully. Just Google "how to cover books with contact paper" and you'll get lots of hits.
Married to a wonderful man since 1995
DS
DS
DD
DS

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:00 am

abrightmom wrote:I cover mine with clear packing tape. I LOVE it and I find it a LOT easier to work with than sheets of contact paper. I don't know how in the world to describe the process though. 8) My guides are tidy and the corners don't curl.
I do this too. I don't have a manual yet, but I've laminated book edges and made bookmarks by covering pictures with packaging tape.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

alydar

Post by alydar » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:33 pm

abrightmom wrote:I cover mine with clear packing tape. I LOVE it and I find it a LOT easier to work with than sheets of contact paper. I don't know how in the world to describe the process though. 8) My guides are tidy and the corners don't curl.

I thought about this, too! :D I saw a youtube vid showing how to do the edges. You could probably just continue her process until you had the whole cover done. Just search, "how to protect paperback books" on youtube and it should show up as one of the top choices.
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1