To buy or not to buy...................That is the question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Christy in Texas

To buy or not to buy...................That is the question

Post by Christy in Texas » Thu May 15, 2008 2:22 pm

What are your thoughts on buying the emerging reader set vs. getting them at the library.
Christy, wife to Danny of 14 years, mom to
Brycen 5/7/99
Emily 10/10/02
Hannah 10/10/02

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:44 pm

I purchased them. I like having them in the house and I have 3 boys that will use them.
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu May 15, 2008 5:08 pm

We have so many books already, that I used the library for the emerging readers.

wisdom4us

Post by wisdom4us » Thu May 15, 2008 5:25 pm

We are doing Beyond this year and I *regret* not buying them. I did buy them though for next year for Bigger! I guess it depends on long you think you will use them. I have twins coming up behind my older one so we will get a lot of use out of them. :)
~Summer
Using LHFHG & BHFHG 2008-2009
http://wisdom4us.homeschooljournal.net/

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
~William Butler Yeats

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Thu May 15, 2008 5:46 pm

I bought the emerging readers, as they weren't TOO expensive, but I have signed all the books for Storytime out of the library to sort of balance it.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu May 15, 2008 6:44 pm

I did not buy the books, and wish I had. I've had some difficulty finding some of the books at our library, and I've been bad about returning them on time! :oops: :shock: I did not buy the ones we will need for Bigger....but I'm thinking I may place one more order for those, for the easy access and paying only once!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat May 17, 2008 9:04 pm

I bought them. I will use it three times before I am done with them and they do not take up that much space. I never could have found them all at our library. And since I would use the set three times it just made sense to go ahead and get it. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

dcafamily

Post by dcafamily » Sun May 18, 2008 6:43 am

I am planning on buying the books. I will have at least 3 children going thru the program, so it will make it worthwhile for me to buy. And hoping all the books survive long enough for 3 kids, lol!!

If finances allow in the future, will plan to buy all the sets as we get to each manual. Will save lots of time and driving to the library with 3 kids and the price of gas.
Dawn in dfw, tx mommy to
delainey using LHFHG
chandler using LHTH
and darianna just tagging along

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun May 18, 2008 5:51 pm

I bought them (and will continue to buy the necessary book sets) for several reasons. First, I'll have 3 sons using them by the time they are done. Second, they're great books I want to own and have on our shelf anyway. Third, I have trouble returning library books on time, and our library has trouble noting when I have returned them on time - which results in late fees... which results in me paying a comparable amount to what I pay for owning the books in the first place! :oops: :lol:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon May 19, 2008 11:22 am

I bought them and then used them as incentives.. when my child found out they became hers " really to keep for ever and ever!" when she was done with them was a huge blessing and helped make her a Lover of books.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

hippiechyck

Post by hippiechyck » Mon May 19, 2008 1:25 pm

i'll consider buying for the next batch...i wanted to be sure that HOD was a good fit for us :wink: because i've been through several curric's before (i plead the fifth :lol: )
~*~Barbara~*~
using LH and BLH with the boys, ages 8.5 and 5

Blither Blather~~~Headmistress's Office

netpea

Post by netpea » Fri May 30, 2008 9:37 pm

OK, let me restate my opinion. :lol:

I will be buying most of the package stuff for Bigger, but I need to get DITHOR too. So we will do the library thing for read alouds and DITHOR books as much as possible.

However, yard sale season just started and round here books go for $.25 or $.50. So, I just made a list of all of Carrie's reccommendations for read alouds for Bigger and Beyond and the Emerging Reader set. Now if I pass a yard sale, I can check for books from my list. I found some of the emerging readers yesterday. :D

Hmmm, forgot about my little one going into Little Hearts next year. Have to check the appendix and add those books to my list... :lol:

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Fri May 30, 2008 9:39 pm

Going to yard sales with a list is a great idea. I have found some really good deals on books at the Goodwill too.

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

dolphingirl

Post by dolphingirl » Sat May 31, 2008 10:41 am

We have an excellent library system, and there are very few books I've needed over the years that I haven't been able to get. So I'm planning on getting them from the library. If we didn't have such a great library though, then I'd buy them. However, I am also guilty of paying just about as much in fines sometimes as it would cost me to buy :oops:
Kristin

annegirl1919

Post by annegirl1919 » Sat May 31, 2008 11:37 am

i haven't gotten to them yet, but i expect i'll buy them. just because then i have them all on hand. we even have an amazing library system, but then i have to make sure i get them ordered so they are for sure available to me and get there to pick them up. life just feels crazy enough, and hod is inexpensive enough that we can afford to buy them. :)
wife to jaret '98
foster mom to andie '93
mom to aviah '01
mom to smith '04
mom to faye '08