HS Research Paper - What does Carrie plan?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
homeforhim

HS Research Paper - What does Carrie plan?

Post by homeforhim » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:09 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if Carrie plans to include writing a major research paper in either the Language Arts or History sections of the high school guides to come? If Carrie has time (she is so busy now I know :D ) she may answer but perhaps someone on the board has seen this addressed previously.

I just wanted to comment on one of my favorite history projects this year with Resurrection to Reformation. It was the painting of Michelangelo's hand of God to mankind (Adam) from the Sistine Chapel (unit 18). We used watercolour paints and paper from our CTC supplies and they turned out just beautifully! If I knew how, I would post a picture of my 13 year-old's project - I was very proud of him. :D

Blessings,
Rachael
DS 15 M2MM
DS 12 M2MM
Enjoyed Preparing, CTC, Res2Ref, & Rev2Rev

DHT1999

Re: HS Research Paper - What does Carrie plan?

Post by DHT1999 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:12 pm

I've been wondering this myself. We'll be doing Revival to Revolution for 9th and then the Modern Times guide for 10th. I'm wondering if I'll need to add something to teach my son how to write a research paper.
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:59 am

I know Carrie will answer this as time allows, but I wanted to share that research is an integral part of HOD's guides from PHFHG on up. I have so appreciated this, as my ds has learned to use his Bible, living books, dictionaries, concordances, encyclopedias, and Wikipedia to answer the research questions provided in the HOD guides. I am thankful he has learned how to mesh his answers from multiple resources to be able to answer the research questions, and it has been great to have him use that research (often in a hands-on way) to complete his HOD History Projects. :D I am sharing this not so much to answer your question but more to let others know who are using younger HOD guides that "Research" is a planned skill from early on in the guides. Carrie will certainly respond when she gets a chance! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

homeforhim

Post by homeforhim » Tue May 01, 2012 10:32 am

Just bumping this question up the board! :D

Blessings,
Rachael
DS 15 M2MM
DS 12 M2MM
Enjoyed Preparing, CTC, Res2Ref, & Rev2Rev

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Tue May 01, 2012 11:33 am

my3sons wrote:I know Carrie will answer this as time allows, but I wanted to share that research is an integral part of HOD's guides from PHFHG on up. I have so appreciated this, as my ds has learned to use his Bible, living books, dictionaries, concordances, encyclopedias, and Wikipedia to answer the research questions provided in the HOD guides. I am thankful he has learned how to mesh his answers from multiple resources to be able to answer the research questions, and it has been great to have him use that research (often in a hands-on way) to complete his HOD History Projects. :D I am sharing this not so much to answer your question but more to let others know who are using younger HOD guides that "Research" is a planned skill from early on in the guides. Carrie will certainly respond when she gets a chance! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Julie,

Is there any thread in which you have shared a list of resources used to complete the research? I'd love to build up our home reference library for this purpose and specific titles are always welcome.
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 01, 2012 5:16 pm

abrightmom wrote:...Is there any thread in which you have shared a list of resources used to complete the research? I'd love to build up our home reference library for this purpose and specific titles are always welcome.
Wyatt just used his own Bible, the history living books of HOD, a Zondervan Bible dictionary, the back of my NIV Bible, and Wikipedia. I did have him use the Usborne Internet LInked Ancient World from PHFHG's Extension for CTC's research. So, nothing very flashy I guess, but they worked well. :D Probably not what you were looking for :? - but maybe something here will help!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Tue May 01, 2012 7:55 pm

Thanks Julie. That is a great list. :mrgreen: I think Victor Journey Through the Bible might be helpful as well as Kingfisher History Encyclopedia for a history reference if needed. I believe it is geared for those middle school years. Anyway, thanks for the recommendations.

And now, back to the OP's question about research in high school!
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed May 02, 2012 8:26 am

abrightmom wrote:Thanks Julie. That is a great list. :mrgreen: I think Victor Journey Through the Bible might be helpful as well as Kingfisher History Encyclopedia for a history reference if needed. I believe it is geared for those middle school years. Anyway, thanks for the recommendations.

And now, back to the OP's question about research in high school!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11668

This is to a link I just posted asking about research resources for CTC, and then where I posted what I wound up wit. They'll go farther and deeper than just CTC as well.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed May 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Ladies,

As far as the research paper goes, we do plan to include this within the scope of our high school guides. Yet, right now, I am not sure which particular guide in which this will appear. It will really depend on the balance of composition and other writing in each of the guides as to where it fits best. :D

Rod and Staff English does do quite a bit of preparation in this area, and we do include research in each of our guides prior to high school in some form, so it is not a neglected area. It is truly just the actual longer research paper that we will wait to schedule until high school. :D I am not sure yet which resource we will use for this area, as we have not found one yet that we really like. So, I am not able at this point to give you specifics as far as resources yet either. We definitely know it is a need prior to graduation and will address it within our high school level guides. :D

Blessings,
Carrie