Preparing Storytime

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MomtoJGJE

Preparing Storytime

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:47 am

Has anyone done the storytime section from Preparing at night? We just got to Tirzah this week, and every single day it's been absolutely awful. Just for that. I think because the sections are so long?? I'm really not sure. It seems like it's something she would love, but man... she just doesn't. So I was thinking that at least just for Tirzah I'd read that at night and let her do the connecting the next day in school. Does this sound ok? Honestly, I'm just wondering for been there done that advice... because at this point I'm not willing to continue forcing it each day... so it's either find something different to do (read at night) or just not do it at all, and I think it looks like an awesome book.

Larissa

Re: Preparing Storytime

Post by Larissa » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:22 am

The Tirzah readings are a bit long...but I don't think they are any longer than readings from future story time books. My son LOVED Tirzah! I think you should do whatever works! If doing the story time at night works for you and your daughter then go for it! I seem to remember that I had my son read portions of Tirzah on his own. If there were 2 chapters that had to be read, I would read one, and he would read the next one. I try to read all the story time titles out loud to him, but if I just can't squeeze it in, then I will have him finish what I am unable to finish on his own. He loves to read, so this is never a problem. The story time books for Preparing are also wonderful - so that helps!
I would definitely try playing around with your schedule to make it more enjoyable for her. We have so thoroughly loved Preparing this year ... and I hope that you can make little adjustments to love it as much as we do!
Larissa
Wife to Rich (14 years)
Mommy to Martin(9)(Preparing), Aaron(7)(Beyond), Jonathan(5), and Rosalie(3)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:29 am

It has been super until this week when we started Tirzah. This child hates reading and hates being read to in general.

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:00 am

I'm only in Beyond, so I don't have experience with that particular book yet...but...have you considered reading during lunch? I do that with my girls when they're starting to get restless during lessons and I can tell they won't be up for listening or when it's obvious lunchtime will be filled with lots of silliness (which I don't mind) and very little eating (which I do mind!). They really enjoy that. We also sometimes have reading right after bathtime. I let them draw or color while I read and they really enjoy that. This, of course, depends on age!
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

school4princesses

Post by school4princesses » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:18 am

I do the lunchtime story a lot as well. And another thing I do is to incorporate audio books when possible. I've found so many classics available at our library. The nice thing is that some of them, the better produced ones, include music and sound effects that can really bring the stories alive. I'm fairly certain Tirzah isn't available that way. :( Another idea is to assign each of your kiddos who can read a character or two. Whenever that character is to speak, they get to do the voice for that character. My two drama queens have been known to speak with British accents, Australian accents, etc. Blessings.
Jennifer
DD 16 (in a performing arts charter school)
DD 14 (WH)
DD 10 (CTC)
DD 7 (BHFHG)

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:11 am

That gives me something to look forward to school4princesses! My 4-year-old does a spot-on British accent :)
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:19 pm

My ds loved Tirzah and so did I. The readings were a bit long, but he did not mind at all. He loves to read himself and still loves to be read to.. We savored those times as I don't have my younger ones join in on story time readings with him. I don't see why you can't make it an evening reading time with you dc. :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

doubleportion

Post by doubleportion » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:08 pm

We did the storytime readings in PHFHG at night. My dh read to our daughter before bed. She loves having her Daddy read to her and he got to be involved in our school day. If he couldn't read to her one night, then she would insist that she would wait for the next time and wouldn't let me sit in and read instead 8)

It works well for us and we have continued that into CTC as well. The day was too long for us the other way. So, yes it does work to do it at night. My dd still made the connections just fine.

Edie
dd 13 -Rev2Rev (enjoyed PHFHG, CTC, RTR)
ds 8 -Beyond
ds 6 LHFHG & ds 2 & ds 6 months
4 waiting for us with Jesus