Learning Styles?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
hugsathome

Learning Styles?

Post by hugsathome » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi Everyone!

Just wondering if anyone can give me a quick idea of what my son's learning style might be.

** He is a first grader and is absolutely CRAZY about coloring, crafts and artwork. :!: I've never seen a child soooo into his coloring. He can copy intricate, detailed circle-line patterns with ease. Does this fall into a learning style or something entirely different? He is one of 4 children and the only one that is like this. I thought since he is so extreme in this way, it might help for me to curve some of his lessons toward his passion. What do you think?

By the way, that's one thing that I always liked about HOD...it uses all learning styles.

Thanks for any input!!

annaz

Re: Learning Styles?

Post by annaz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:02 pm

I'm not sure that trait would fall necessarily under a learning style as much as he is able to have great focus and and eye for detail!

Perhaps he's more into the arts in this respect, than a learning style. It sounds like there's a possiblity that you'll no longer have buy nice artwork for your home. :mrgreen:
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:27 pm

This ds will have a great time with the activities Carrie has in her guides. You may want to give him extra time for his notebooking pages etc. etc. in the older guides. Enjoy the creativity. It is wonderful to see the individuality the Lord has put in each one of our children...
What a blessing to have a little artist in your midst. :D :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:46 pm

If I had to guess I would say some combination of visual and kinesthetic, maybe a little more emphasis on the visual. But that's only one clue, there are lots of other ways to know. Basically its what your child cares about the most, what affects him the most. My kinesthetic girl for example, she cares about how clothes FEEL, how comfortable they are, more than how they look. She's always moving, and she will remember things when moving around better than sitting still. Concrete objects help her remember ideas. A visual learner cares about how things look and will make a focus on that. Easily remembers things they see. Does better in a sitting down learning environment than the kinesthetic. Responds strongly to visual things.

What you said is true though, what I've seen is HOD uses all the learning styles, which really reinforces everything anyway, no matter what their learning style is.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

hugsathome

Post by hugsathome » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:09 pm

Thank you all for your input. I have wondered about his learning style because... as I said...he loves to color....but...he also seems slow to improve with reading. :? I thought if he were visual, the reading thing would come easier. There could be other things going on, but I was just thinking that perhaps it had something to do with a learning style. He can be fussy about tags in t-shirts, the "feel of clothes", etc. (kinesthetic), but he is also so "into" coloring (visual). I wasn't sure if I should change how I use my reading time with him.

alliclaymoore

Post by alliclaymoore » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:13 am

When you say "slow to improve with his reading," do you mean he is not able to decipher the words, or that he doesn't do well in reading out loud as far as intonation and pausing at the right places and such?

The reason I ask is because it sounds like you are describing my son a few years ago. He has always been extremely meticulous with drawing and writing. He was coloring within the lines long before the other kids his age had graduated from scribbling. This has also translated into his handwriting. He is very meticulous about getting each letter just right (which makes it take a long time for him to complete a writing assignment). He read very early (deciphering the words), but is just now (at 8 yrs old) "getting it" when it comes to intonation and pauses.

One thing you mentioned about the feeling of clothes and tags in his shirt makes me think that is connected with the coloring skills. I don't know if you have ever heard of sensory processing disorder or not, but that is what it sounds like to me. My son has this. I don't really like calling it a disorder, because as I have learned more about it and learned how to help him deal with the frustrating issues (tags and clothing textures, etc), the less these issues affect him. Then I am able to embrace the good issues that have stemmed from it (how meticulous he is, how super-focused he can get on something that interests him, how he notices when something is out of place and has to make it right, etc.) I could go on and on about this topic, but I just wanted you to check out this disorder to see if your son fits the descriptions. There are checklists out there to help determine if he does, and if he does you can begin to help him with the other issues while more fully appreciating the cool things about it and overall find out what makes him tick, so to speak.

If you do find that he does match up with the descriptions (not mine, but the checklist because SPD has many different faces), I would be glad to give you more information. Since I have two kids with this disorder, I became a self-taught "expert" on the subject, lol.

I hope it is ok to post a link to another website on here since it is not for another curriculum, but for a checklist of SPD. If not, I apologize. Here it is: http://www.sensory-processing-disorder. ... klist.html

Blessings!
Allison
Wife to Clay
Mommy to Rachel (Preparing), Luke (Beyond), and Sarah (LHTH)

hugsathome

Post by hugsathome » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks soooo much for the info on Sensory Processing. I do believe my older son has issues with SPD. That might also explain my younger son's behavior as well. I will spend time going over the info you directed me to. Thanks again!!

alliclaymoore

Post by alliclaymoore » Tue May 01, 2012 9:47 am

Yay! I am glad I could help. If you want you can come check out the yahoo group I started to interact with other people who are dealing with SPD. It is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/christian ... =211815444
We were once a very active group, but the last few years there has been very little activity. I keep it open , though, so that people who need information can read past posts on the board. You can search old posts that have something to do with particular issues you are dealing with, and see what worked for other moms with those issues. If you do sign up, I have to approve you because I have the group set up to only allow people to join that really do have a reason to be in the group rather than people who want to spam.
Blessings!
Allison

hugsathome

Post by hugsathome » Tue May 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Thank you!!!!! :D