Rev to Rev for a High School Sophomore

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
deltagal

Rev to Rev for a High School Sophomore

Post by deltagal » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi -
I'm looking through all the posts on Rev to Rev for High School and this is what I'm thinking it would look like for my son's sophomore year. My question is - is it too much? about right? what am I missing? The beauty of Carrie's guides is the well-tuned balance. My concern about tweaking for high school is losing the well-tuned balance. Any thoughts? Be candid. :D

Rev to Rev w/extension and state study (sub in some higher level books) - 1 credit History
Sub in a Biology course w/ lab - 1 credit Science
HOD Worldview w/ Hebrews and additional bible Reading - 1 credit Bible
Rod and Staff w/ The Exciting World of creative writing program and a Smarr's literature course (or does Smarr's have comp.?) - 1 credit English
Composer study w/ additional reading from The Gift of Music and 2 short papers - .5 credit fine arts
HOD declaration of Independence research add in The 5000 Year Leap and parts of The Federalist Papers - .5 credit government
Add in - Latin - 1 credit Foreign Language
Geometry - 1 credit Math

Other: football, basketball, conference youth council, church activities, employment: yard work, church websites

Total - 7 credits
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

mamas4bugs

Re: Rev to Rev for a High School Sophomore

Post by mamas4bugs » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:44 pm

Looks good to me. :)

In fact, it looks almost identical to what my ds will be doing for his Freshman year next year. :D

His will look like this:

Rev to Rev w/extension and state study (sub in some higher level books) - 1 credit History
Physical Science in Rev to Rev - 1 credit Science
HOD Worldview w/ Quest Bible study and additional bible Reading - 1 credit Bible
CLE grammar and Lit plus several full books that I assign (and maybe the Creative Writing course in HOD) - 1 credit
Composer study w/ additional reading from The Gift of Music and Co-op art class - 1 credit fine arts
HOD declaration of Independence research add in The 5000 Year Leap and parts of The Federalist Papers - .5 credit government
Add in - Latin - 1 credit Foreign Language
Algebra - 1 credit Math

Other: band, boxing, Karate, piano, church activities, employment: yard work, babysitting

Like I said....looks great to me! :mrgreen:
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:22 pm

BOTH of your plans look a lot like what we are planning for Rev2Rev for our dd's sophomore year this coming school year, too!! :)

We are subbing in Abeka World History and Cultures 10 (only reading little portions where they apply to the HOD readings, and only on certain days that it does--not every day).

We also have French II for high school (instead of Latin), ACE English (which also adds in additional literature), Apologia Biology, and Saxon Algebra.
For music, we have violin lessons and string orchestra at a local Christian high school, as well as field trips and activities with our local homeschool groups. :)

Along with HOD w/ extensions, I think we all have pretty solid plans for our upcoming high school years! So excited to be sharing them with you all. :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:05 pm

Since my daughter will just be a freshman, we don't need to add to the science. We will just use the advanced option for a physical science credit.
We are adding either the Noble Experiment or the 5,000 Year Leap for government, and 1/2 of the BJU book for American History (no worksheets or extra writing).
I am using 3 CLE light units for grammar and either 1/2 BJU Literature (American) or the new Intro to Literature from IEW.
For the fine arts, she takes art, piano, and violin lessons, and I saw a course in The Great Courses that would work--not completely sure.
We will probably wait a year to add Spanish. (I have another one graduating this year, and that will give me more time for her the following year.)
TT Algebra 1--She was older when we started HOD, and we did not switch math programs.
Bible--She will more follow the Bible from CTC that her brothers are doing, using part of The History and Geography of the Bible and The Greatest Thing You'll Ever Study.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:18 pm

I'm still wrestling with this. This is what I think it looks like:

Addendum: As I look more closely at the literature. I'm going to make the storytime books free reading and not require them. I don't think they're necessary with the literature. Someone chime in, if you disagree.
Last edited by deltagal on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
With Joy!
Florence

Began HOD 1/2009

blessed2five

Post by blessed2five » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:01 pm

Wow Florence! Your schedule looks great. This would get my dd very excited. She loves to have lists and organize her day like this. Unfortunately I'm on the ADD side and I would have to basically copy this type of schdule to make it happen in our home. I always have great "ideas" they just rarely get put onto paper. If you don't mind I may show this to her to get her excited about next year and see that it really can all get done in one day!

Thank you for sharing.

Are you looking at using Smarr Introduction to Literature? If so, my son is using part of that for his 9th grade year and it really does hold their hand the entire way. He has produced some great essays with very little effort on his or my part :) I'm still considering it for my daughter next year. Will you still use the recommended writing in Rev2Rev or replace it with this?
Emily
Homeschooling mom to 5dc, wife to wonderful dh
dd 13 finished RTR onto RevtoRev in the fall
dd 10 Preparing
dd 5 ready for LHFHG
ds 16, dd 3

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:05 pm

blessed2five wrote: Are you looking at using Smarr Introduction to Literature? If so, my son is using part of that for his 9th grade year and it really does hold their hand the entire way. He has produced some great essays with very little effort on his or my part :) I'm still considering it for my daughter next year. Will you still use the recommended writing in Rev2Rev or replace it with this?
I'm looking at the Survey of American Lit., since we'll be in early American History . And I'm undecided about the writing piece. Definitely one or the other. I need to look closer at the SMarr's before I decide. This schedule, however, is based on using Smarr's writing.
With Joy!
Florence

Began HOD 1/2009

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:46 am

8arrows wrote:Bible--She will more follow the Bible from CTC that her brothers are doing, using part of The History and Geography of the Bible and The Greatest Thing You'll Ever Study.
That's an interesting idea. We are also using Rev2Rev for 9th grade next year. Our schedule looked very similar to everyone else's. But I like the idea of adding in some Bible from CTC as my oldest DS missed that guide. My youngest will be doing CTC next year so it might be nice to have them do CTC Bible together. I was also considering "The Greatest Thing You'll Ever Study" so maybe that will be too much with the Bible in Rev2Rev. I'll have to give that more thought.
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension