How do you keep your guides in one piece? So

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
edsnyder

How do you keep your guides in one piece? So

Post by edsnyder » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:50 pm

You can use again with your other children? I know some probably try to keep theirs in tip top shape to resell but I have been making notes in mine so I won't be doing that - so just curious if anyone has hole punched them to store in a binder or any other way - and how is it working for you???
Elisa help meet to my husband Luke of 12 years and mother of three awesome children:
ds9 - Bigger
ds6 - Beyond - Half Speed
dd3 - Little Hands -

creativemommy

Re: How do you keep your guides in one piece? So

Post by creativemommy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:11 pm

I've kept mine just as they are since they have a special binding made to lay flat when open. I've seen some people cover the guide covers with clear contact paper. I've considered this but haven't done it yet. :)
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

LAB

Post by LAB » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:50 pm

I've covered all my books in contact paper. They all look new despite the attempts to "destroy" them by my 1 & 2 yr olds. First day of school a slobbery baby hand grabbed the manual! At least weekly something happens that makes me glad I went through the trouble to cover everything. I've covered and labled next yrs books already. The lables really help me as my days can be very confusing juggling the needs of my little ones while schooling.
Laura, mommy to Christine (1-02), Nicole (5-03), both doing Bigger, Everett (4-09) and Alister (9-10)

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:19 pm

I don't. :roll: :D
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

edsnyder

Post by edsnyder » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:26 pm

How do you keep track of all the books that go with each guide? How do you label them or mark them?
Elisa help meet to my husband Luke of 12 years and mother of three awesome children:
ds9 - Bigger
dd3 - Little Hands -

davisfam7

Post by davisfam7 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:00 pm

I unbind all my guides. I am not reselling any of them as I have more kiddos who will use them. I place my Guide in a large binder and put every page in a page protector. Each week I take out only the unit we are currently working on and place it in a smaller binder along with the dictation, extension or math schedule if needed. This was each child has everything they need for the week without having to carry the large binder with them. They also use dry erase markers to check off each box as they complete it so at a glance I know where they are. At rhe end of the week they clean all the dry erase marker off and I place it into the large binder and get the next weeks out and so on. As for labeling the books, I use a label maker and mark the books on the lower part of the spine. I code them: Bigger Hearts-BH, Creation to Christ-CtC, Resurrection to Reformation-RtR, Revival to Revolution-R2R, etc. Hope this helps!
Sarah
wife to Bobby
Taylor 22 helping @ home
Ryan 18 World History
Olivia 16 World History
Alec 13 MtMM
Jack-Attack 1 CtC
Have done Bigger, Preparing, RtR, Rev to Rev, MtMM, World Geo.

LAB

Post by LAB » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:06 am

I found round labels that are white with a colored band on the edge. I write what I want in the center so it shows on the spine. All the books have the same color that matches the manual. Then I laminate the books.

The label is nice to see from a distance that its a school book and then I can put them on the shelf so they are easy to find. We haven't lost a book this yr!
Laura, mommy to Christine (1-02), Nicole (5-03), both doing Bigger, Everett (4-09) and Alister (9-10)

edsnyder

Post by edsnyder » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:30 am

LAB wrote:I found round labels that are white with a colored band on the edge. I write what I want in the center so it shows on the spine. All the books have the same color that matches the manual. Then I laminate the books.

The label is nice to see from a distance that its a school book and then I can put them on the shelf so they are easy to find. We haven't lost a book this yr!

What do you mean you laminate the book? Just the outside with contact paper?
ds9 - Bigger
dd3 - Little Hands -

edsnyder

Post by edsnyder » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:35 am

davisfam7 wrote:I unbind all my guides. I am not reselling any of them as I have more kiddos who will use them. I place my Guide in a large binder and put every page in a page protector. Each week I take out only the unit we are currently working on and place it in a smaller binder along with the dictation, extension or math schedule if needed. This was each child has everything they need for the week without having to carry the large binder with them. They also use dry erase markers to check off each box as they complete it so at a glance I know where they are. At rhe end of the week they clean all the dry erase marker off and I place it into the large binder and get the next weeks out and so on. As for labeling the books, I use a label maker and mark the books on the lower part of the spine. I code them: Bigger Hearts-BH, Creation to Christ-CtC, Resurrection to Reformation-RtR, Revival to Revolution-R2R, etc. Hope this helps!

I love this idea with the sheet protecters! thanks so much for sharing!!! Do you remove binding yourself or have it done? Now I need to find some shyer protectors on sale! :)
ds9 - Bigger
dd3 - Little Hands -

MeadowWay

Post by MeadowWay » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:54 am

I cover my guide with these wonderful quality kleer kovers from a co. called BRODART. they come in various sizes , so price varies according to size. any keeper book on our bookshelves have been covered to save them.
We have only used HOD with our youngest, but will begin using HOD with our highschooler in the fall. I may use the suggestions some have posted of cutting the binding and placing in a binder with protective pages to remove for that week. Then we would have those upper guides for our youngest though there is an 8 yr span between them...
Blessings
KK

gerka528

Post by gerka528 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:01 pm

I had the bindings cut off my guides at Staples, it was $2. I haven't put mine in page protectors, but just in a binder. Since we're using LHFHG for K and 1st I needed some of the appendices from Beyond and it was much easier to make copies and add them to my LHFHG binder than try and keep up with two guides.
DD 8
DD 7
DD 5
DS 4

simplejoys

Post by simplejoys » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:05 pm

These are all good ideas. I was looking at my guide the other day and it already looks well loved and we are only on unit 3 ;).i think I'll have to do the contact paper route to sturdy up the covers. Although going to kinks and getting it unbound sounds good too.

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:21 pm

I take mine to Fed Ex/Kinkos and they Coil Bind it with the Covers thickly laminated for $5. It is great.

Also, any marks I make, I do in pencil.

My Best,
Shannon
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

LAB

Post by LAB » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:06 pm

edsnyder wrote: What do you mean you laminate the book? Just the outside with contact paper?
Yes, just a cold laminate with clear contact paper. For the manual it still lays flat, but I never leave it open with my two toddlers around.

I haven't found any need to mark the pages. I'm only doing one guide and we have no need to report to our state. I made a simple boxed checklist for my girls when we were first starting, but we don't use that now that we have a rhythm going. I'll have a new checklist when we start Preparing until my girls and I get into a solid routine with their independent work.

davisfam7

Post by davisfam7 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:55 pm

I love this idea with the sheet protecters! thanks so much for sharing!!! Do you remove binding yourself or have it done? Now I need to find some shyer protectors on sale!
I, personally, unbind my guides myself. I have had two books ruined by Office Max. And that is the only copy/office place in town for us. So I tear out each page one by one. If you note the ages of my kiddos, you'll see I have help! I make them help me so it's not as tedious as it could be :wink: But if you have an office supply place that can do a good job, the $2 is totally worth it!!
Sarah
wife to Bobby
Taylor 22 helping @ home
Ryan 18 World History
Olivia 16 World History
Alec 13 MtMM
Jack-Attack 1 CtC
Have done Bigger, Preparing, RtR, Rev to Rev, MtMM, World Geo.