Those with High School Experience

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kayben

Those with High School Experience

Post by kayben » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:22 pm

I posted this directly to Carrie in the post that links to the new program coming in the fall, but I know she is so very busy and I am bringing my questions to you ladies who have always been so helpful to me in the past.

Here is the post
I have a quick question regarding the new program:) My DS has been in PS for a few years and we are very seriously considering him coming back home for highschool. The only year at home that he "completed" a full curriculum ... without slacking off, was 6th grade when he did CTC! HE LOVED IT!!! I would love to give him back the HOD security of the boxes. However, in MD, he is required to have 3 Histories. It doesn't look like this would cover any of them, except maybe US History? I am terrible at tweaking and will lose the joy of your guides if I have to do too much. Would I do better to use another program and come back for your High School guides? I realize I can use extensions, but would I be able to label it either, US History, World History or to quote the requriements.."local, state, national government"?

Science Requirements, biology with labs, and 2 of the following: earth scienc, life science, environmental Science or physical Science.

Thanks so much! I would love to use this... but please tell me what I can call it:)

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am going to do beyond with my 1st grader, Bigger with my 2nd and 4th grader,(I know 3rd is ideal, but these two are a little below, and a little above. Think these are the easiest to combine as they will both be in the guides Math) and R to R with my 6th grader.

Rebecca
Rebecca, Wife to amazing DH 21yrs..
dd 15 10th grade PS,ds 14 8th grade PS
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

Heather4Him

Re: Those with High School Experience

Post by Heather4Him » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm not sure exactly what is meant by "3 histories". But, you definitely can call HOD upper guides US History and World History. Carrie recommends adding in some Government and Economics (usually the other history courses for high school plans) in one of the high school years. (Her recommendations are on the "beefing up" posts as stickies on the top of the message board.) Hope this helps some!
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:07 am

Which guide were you wanting to use? Will next year be your son's 9th grade year? If so, then you could do something like the following without too much tweaking at all. :)

For the guide Revival to Reformation, you could use the extensions and give at least .5 credits in American history (we will give 1 whole credit, as I believe that with the regular readings, the extension readings, and the history projects, we will spend the required 150 hours on history next year).

Carrie said this about Government in that guide: "In the area of government, you'd already be studying the signers of the Declaration of Independence through Rev. to Rev. and reading the Declaration of Independence. Plus, the history readings already in Rev. to Rev. would discuss government concepts too. So, to finish out the government credit, it would make sense to add something like The 5,000 Year Leap for government and alternate reading a chapter of that with reading some of the The Federalist Papers. If you don't have time to read all 85 of The Federalist Papers, just read some of them! Each is an individual paper. If your child also read the Constitution, this would all add up to a semester of government credit (.5), when used in conjunction with what you're already covering within Rev. to Rev. Listing the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, some of the Federalist Papers, the research on the Lives of the Signers, and the 5,000 Year Leap, you would have a strong high school government course."

This is the link where Carrie discusses that guide in depth for beefing up for high school: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8208&p=59715

So, for 9th grade, that would give you at least .5 credits in American history and .5 credits in Government. The science for that guide is physical science, and if you use the advanced option (which is scheduled in the guide, I believe), then it is high school credit worthy. So that would cover your science for next year.

The following year, you could use Missions to Modern Marvels for your second .5 credit in American history, giving you the full 1 credit needed. That guide will also include an intro Economics portion, which Carrie has given ideas for beef up to earn .5 credits in Economics. This is the link that discusses that: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11286&p=81879#p81879

Science for that guide is discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10600

So, your first two years of high school could look like this:

9th Rev to Rev - .5 (or 1 full) credit in American HIstory, .5 credits in Gov, 1 credit in Physical Science
10th Missions to Modern Marvels - either the other .5 credits in American history (or another 1 full credit in Modern American history), .5 credits in Economics, 1 credit in chemistry (with lab)

My oldest son's high school (next year :shock: ) will look like the above schedule. We will use grade appropriate English and math classes. From there, we will continue on with:

11th - .5 or 1 full credit in Geography (using the high school geography guide), 1 credit in Biology (source unknown)
12th- 1 credit in World history (using HOD'S World History high school guide) and some other science, as yet to be determined. :P

Hope that wasn't completely confusing and helped you some! :)
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

kayben

Post by kayben » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:34 am

Oh Ladies I knew you could clear my frazzled brain:) (What I meant by 3 Histories is we are required to have 3 full credits in History: US, world, and Government.) I just wasn't sure how I could label the guides in terms of these three requirements. You have cleared it up for me, at least enough to feel confident that it can be done. Thank you! I will probably purchase the guide to give it a real look over to see what I can do. Thank you again.
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

aprilmd

Post by aprilmd » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:48 am

I will be using the new guide for my 9th grader and Carrie's next three until my oldest graduates. This is my plan so far...

9th grade late Amer. history with economics
10th grade Geography
11th grade World History
12th grade early Amer. history with government

Carrie has stated that in her 9th grade year I will need to add some economics to be high school worthy. I don't know yet if I will need to add a little more Amer. History. My daughter loves to read so I may just have her read an American History series in her extra reading. I have a feeling I won't need to add much, except the economics and Biology.

I hope this helps some. I am still in the process of planning high school.

Blessings,
April
April - BHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WG & now WORLD HIST
2014-2015
DD 16- World Hist, Chemistry, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 15- World Hist, Bio, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 13- MTMM/ext, finish R&S Eng. 6, Saxon Alg 1

aprilmd

Post by aprilmd » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:56 am

I would add... make sure you look at the program placement chart. That way you can place you child in the correct guide. Then we can brainstorm how to write up your high school years.

April :D
2014-2015

kayben

Post by kayben » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:13 pm

He can definitely place in the Rev to Rev in every category right now. He would be able to jump in to the new guide next year.
aprilmd wrote:I would add... make sure you look at the program placement chart. That way you can place you child in the correct guide. Then we can brainstorm how to write up your high school years
April :D
aprilmd wrote:I will be using the new guide for my 9th grader and Carrie's next three until my oldest graduates. This is my plan so far...

9th grade late Amer. history with economics
10th grade Geography
11th grade World History
12th grade early Amer. history with government

Carrie has stated that in her 9th grade year I will need to add some economics to be high school worthy. I don't know yet if I will need to add a little more Amer. History. My daughter loves to read so I may just have her read an American History series in her extra reading. I have a feeling I won't need to add much, except the economics and Biology.

I hope this helps some. I am still in the process of planning high school.

Blessings,
April
Maybe we could follow the new guides on up through 12th together:) We are prayerfully making the decisions concerning next year. I truly hope to have him home. Will be difficult to miss out on Sports, and he has truly enjoyed the praises of his teachers and the social aspect of the classroom. Not that that is important in the great commision..

I would guess that a full credit could be given each year for history. I would add in extra reading if necessary to reach required hours. I wonder about the split of American History though? Does the first half match up with the CLEP test? Will next years guide be sufficient to actually cover a U.S. History one credit course? Or will the senior year have to be combined with this year for the credit? A little confused with this line up? Thanks so much!

It helps a bit that I have a 10th grader in the Public School and as an 8th grader,Ben has just brought home a packet of the requirements and explainations of the required classes for high school graduation. Maryland only requires 3 credits in History. Only 1 for U.S. History. Would I just count the 4th as an elective?

I am also planning on using the writing and grammer as an English 9 course. And using the Bible as well for a credit, adding in if necessary. How will you be working your credits as far as HOD can contribute for 9th?
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

aprilmd

Post by aprilmd » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:05 am

I plan to have enough American history to give a full credit. Then add enough economics to award half a credit in economics. Our homeschool group offers a meeting on awarding credits for high school over the summer. So they will help me with the final details and hours needed to complete this goal. Her senior year with what Carrie has planned will be an elective history class and a half credit in government. :wink: I hope my plan works... it is a little heavy the freshman year. This will allow my oldest to use HOD through high school.
2014-2015

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:08 pm

kayben,

The ladies are doing such a good job of helping you! :D Aren't they wonderful! :D I had a chance to respond just a bit to you at the following link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11148

Blessings,
Carrie

SouthernMrs

Post by SouthernMrs » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:50 pm

I wonder about the split of American History though? Does the first half match up with the CLEP test? Will next years guide be sufficient to actually cover a U.S. History one credit course? Or will the senior year have to be combined with this year for the credit? A little confused with this line up? Thanks so much!
My dd is going to be in 9th next year also and she'll be using the M2MM guide, so we are right in there with you. Though having graduated 2 older sons from our homeschool several years ago on the east coast, the US History credit needed to cover a specified time period studied, not how much time was spent .... which was 150 hours to make a credit. I realize each state is different in their graduation requirements and even defining what a credit is (am I really an antique to think that a full credit is 150 hours instead of 120 now-a-days?) :D

I'd like to hear from Carrie on this one personally, but my thought was that my dd would get half credit for US history in 9th using the late American history guide and when she gets to 12th grade, she'd get the other half of her US History credit when the next Early Am. history guide comes out.

Now that doesn't mean that you can't get a full US History credit using only one of those guides. If I my child wasn't going to reach the High School Am. history guide, I'd be inclined to add reading from the missing time period of the study to get the full credit. So for instance, if your son will only be using HOD guides through the High School World History guide, then use the M2MM for your US History credit by incorporating some of the reading from Rev to Rev (extensions perhaps?) to fill in the missing early American years needed.

just my 2 cents worth... :wink:
I need to update my signature .... :)
Charlene

Rev2Rev (8th gr. ds)
World History (11th gr. dd)
HOD Users since 2007

aprilmd

Post by aprilmd » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:40 pm

This is a great conversation... I look forward to hearing Carrie's input.

If I need to I am willing to add additional reading to continue with HOD! As far as CLEP goes I'm not sure how it would work out. I am also willing to award only a half credit for American history (MMTM/9th grade) and the other half for economics. By the time dd graduates she will have the full year of American

history.
2014-2015

kayben

Post by kayben » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:49 pm

My problem is I am terrible at adding in my own things. I find if it isn't scheduled, it wont get done. i am just not sure from year to year who will be home with me for sure. I don't really want to start something in 9th that will have to be completed in 12th for credit. kwim? Or am I completely missing something. Just so confused on the division of US History between 9th and 12th grades. I think I am not seeing something obvious? I am famous for needing lots of guided instruction:) hand holding etc.
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2