Anyone teaching a Foreign Language?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mom2boys030507

Anyone teaching a Foreign Language?

Post by mom2boys030507 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:30 am

Well I am wondering if anyone is teaching a foreign language and if so which one and what are you using? My BIL is concerned that our boys will be behind in thier schooling if we don't teach them a foreign language. I respect my BIL therefore would like to look into this option, however I only speak english and teaching a foreign language seems overwhelming to me. So any and all ideas are appreciated.

Thanks
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

netpea

Yes, Spanish

Post by netpea » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:58 pm

We are fortunate enough to have a Spanish teacher in the family, my SIL. She spends 1/2 hour with my kids one day a week teaching the same stuff she teaches at school. No workbooks, mostly oral. She has them draw stuff to match the words she speaks.

works for us at this point,

joyful jean

Post by joyful jean » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:03 am

We have always done a bit of sign language. I have a few books and recently discovered "Signing Time" DVD series. I can not say enough about this program. Fun & easy to learn. My 7 year old and I can carry on a pretty good conversation all in sign.

In a few years I will be doing a Spanish program called Power Glide Foreign Language progam. This is all on CD.....Hooray because I can not pronounce anything in a different language. They have nice work books to go with the program and there are many different levels and languages to choose from. They recommend starting no sooner than 1st grade, so I am waiting for my youngest to get up there.

I like learning right along side of my kids on this subject.....such fun it is to homeschool!
God Blesses Every Day, it is up to us to notice!

wife for almost 14 years to my best friend
ds #1 age 7 Second year using Beyond little hearts for His Glory
ds #2 age 5 Little Hearts for His Glory
also used Little Hands to Heaven

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:13 pm

My husband wanted to learn Greek, so he could read the New Testament in its original form. So, we are having our boys learn it right along with him. We are using "Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek", which is in workbook format. The boys do a page a day during their Bible study time and finish one level each year. This is our second year in the program, and the boys enjoy it very much. It is totally independent so far. It is a little pricey if you get the student book, answer key, and flashcards, but worth it to me since its independent. We looked at all the Greek programs prior to choosing this one. I believe they also have a Latin program.

Blessings,
Carrie

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:35 pm

Thanks for the info. I guess we will just continue to discuss what we would like to do and then start searching for a program that will fit our family.
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:11 pm

we've been using the latin from memoria press. I thought latin would be a good base for a lot of languages, so we're going that way. Plus I think the boys like how it sounds when they say they are learning latin! lol!
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink: