Thank You Carrie...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Liberty Carriage

Thank You Carrie...

Post by Liberty Carriage » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:21 pm

Carrie,

I just wanted to share my journey with HOD with you. Several years ago I started using HOD CTC with my two oldest daughters. My two younger daughters were placed in HOD Bigger. The content of CTC was perfect for my oldest daughter although my second daughter was struggling a bit. She was a very late reader and struggled with everything we did. My younger kids were doing great but my biggest problem was I was trying to read everything and do everything with my older girls, and then 3 hours later do the same with my younger girls. About half way through the year I had to reevaluate. So I decided to drop HOD and go to TOG. However, my second oldest daughter had really had a breakthrough that year and was doing really well. She started working on her own more so I decided to let her finish out the year with HOD while I switched the rest over to TOG.

We spent the next few years working this way. Everyone in TOG except my middle daughter who excelled for the first time ever with school using HOD. She is currently in Rev-Rev. I expect she will stick with HOD until she graduates. We had just finished TOG year 4 about a month ago and I was all set to start back with year 1. BUT a lot has happened in my life since my story began here. About 1 1/2 years ago, my marriage ended after 17 years. I have had the greatest struggles in my life with money, church and trying to never give up on homeschooling. This fall I am going to be going to college part-time and I fully intend to continue homeschooling. However, life is often overwhelming.

I was lamenting my struggles with my oldest daughter (now 17) and saying how I wish TOG wasn't so much work to implement. I also wished I could bring God out in their studies more. My daughter said "You should put them in HOD, that was my favorite year of homeschool ever." ..... I was stunned. She never told me that. I wish I had known because I probably should not have switched her out. (even though she was a bit old for the program). I thought about what she said and started really looking at HOD again. I made the decision to go ahead and get Preparing Hearts for His Glory. I started the program this week.

I have to say that I want to cry right now. It has been the best week in A LONG LONG TIME. I have been humbled by The Word that is so beautifully woven into the program. My children are changing. School has been amazing and I see a difference in their excitement for school. Lesson time has also been wonderful. What seemed to take hours with TOG has been streamlined into a comfortable time frame. I love how independence is woven into the program as well. It gives me those few minutes I need to turn to my son who is 5 and do a quick lesson in math or reading while they are doing their art or copywork. It has really been an amazing first week. I am so thankful to have everything planned out for our days and have the confidence to know it is right at their abilities. I know that I am not overwhelming them with a tremendous amount of reading yet they are not being shortchanged either. It is the perfect amount. It is really amazing and I thank you so much Carrie.

I can't wait to see next years program. My second oldest daughter loves everything about her current program. I never have to tell her to go do school. She gets right up and goes to it. In fact, she never wants to miss a day. Even when we have field trips, she will often get up early so she can do her schoolwork. That says a lot.

Liberty

annaz

Re: Thank You Carrie...

Post by annaz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:45 pm

Liberty:

Hugs and prayers for you and the struggles you have. But in light of that, you've shared a very heartwarming testimony to HOD and the wonderful benefit it has been and hopefully continues to be with your family. In the midst of trials there's always a bright light somewhere and I think you've found it!

Ann
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:06 pm

I echo Ann's sentiments and prayers! What a wonderful testimony!! I'm so happy your family has found peace and joy in homeschooling again with HOD. It truly is a blessing, and I can heartily recommend it for high school, too, as we are using and loving it! :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:36 pm

What a wonderful testimony! Thanks for sharing. :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:29 pm

Liberty - thank you for sharing your homeschooling journey with us here! I am glad God led you back to HOD - how neat He used your older dd's words to steer you in this direction! I am so very sorry for the struggles you have gone through. It seems the Lord has now strengthened you, and you are ready for what is to come. May God bless you, and may you and your dc continue to love HOD and enjoy it within your home! Carrie is writing, writing, writing, right now, but I know when she reads this she will respond as it will most certainly bless her heart.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:42 pm

Liberty,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your story and your heartfelt words of encouragement with me. :D I am blessed beyond measure by your post and am so encouraged by it too. :D I'm so glad that you have gotten a chance to use HOD in the past and that you are getting a chance to use it now. The Lord truly does know each of our needs, and He is faithful. I pray that He will richly bless your time spent with HOD and that He will encourage you as you seek Him through all of life's ups and downs.

Thanks again for sharing! It meant to so much to me. :D

Blessings,
Carrie