What to do with my 3rd grader next year...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Wendi in MD

What to do with my 3rd grader next year...

Post by Wendi in MD » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:46 am

Hi Everyone!

I have been lurking on the HOD forum since the fall and I finally decided it was about time that I post :mrgreen:. I have been using Bigger with my ds10 {4th grade} and dd7 {2nd grade} since the fall...we are on week 17 and we absolutely love HOD! I am currently pondering where to take my kiddos next year...we are definitely sticking with HOD, but I am not sure if I'll be combining them again. My ds10 will be in 5th grade and he could do CTC {that's where he places} but I don't want to skip Preparing so that's what I plan to use with him...

However, what to use with dd7 is not as easy of a decision. She is doing a wonderful job with Bigger...and she placed in Bigger when we began {ds10 placed in Preparing but I wanted to combine them for our first year with HOD}. However, I am not sure that she is ready for the move to Preparing, although she might be by the time we finish Bigger this summer. I also don't want to continue to combine ds and dd just because...For one thing, dd7 is a beginning reader, she is doing a great job with the Emerging Reader's Set this year, but I am not sure she will be ready to tackle the independent reading that she will need to do for Preparing.

So...can I do Preparing with both kiddos but at different speeds ~ having ds10 work at regular pace and finish in one year, have dd7 work at half speed with me and planning to finish in two years? I would prefer for dd to continue with the 3Rs daily, she is doing a great job with R&S2 and her math program. And if I do this, would it be preferable to purchase some duplicates...especially the Preparing Guide so ds can have his own copy, and maybe the Child's History book...

Any thoughts? I'd love some input :lol:

Oh, I also have another ds...my sweet 5yo who will be using LHFHG.

Thanks! Wendi
Wendi in Maryland
Wife to Scott
Mama to Ryan {2002}, Abby {2004}, and Caleb {2006}

davisfam7

Re: What to do with my 3rd grader next year...

Post by davisfam7 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Wendi,
Is there any way you could just start the slow down now with her?? Let your son continue with Bigger at full speed and have your dd7 do half speed with the left side of the page only. This would have her doing the three "r's" everyday but the History/poetry (even science maybe?) every other day. This would allow you to really work on her reading, writing and math skills but would slow down the guide so she can hit Preparing a little more "prepared" haha! Then if need be, you could even slow Preparing down until she gets all the skills she needs to do it successfully. I have found that when the kids are where they need to be skill-wise, they do so much better than if they are struggling at the lower end of the age/skill set. Since you are open to not keeping them together maybe an earlier separation might be more beneficial in the long run. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. HTH.
Sarah
wife to Bobby
Taylor 22 helping @ home
Ryan 18 World History
Olivia 16 World History
Alec 13 MtMM
Jack-Attack 1 CtC
Have done Bigger, Preparing, RtR, Rev to Rev, MtMM, World Geo.

Wendi in MD

Post by Wendi in MD » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:23 pm

I hadn't considered slowing her down now...but that is something to think about. Right now ds10, dd7 and I {and sometimes ds5 joins in :lol: } do the left side of Bigger together after lunch, in the morning ds10 does the right side of Bigger pretty independently and ds7 & I do the right side together. That set up has been working well, I am not sure how it would work if I separated them mid-guide...Thanks for your suggestion, it gives me another option to ponder :D
Wendi in Maryland
Wife to Scott

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi Wendi, and welcome to the HOD Board! I am so glad you have come out of lurkdom - though I know there are seasons where lurking may fit best - we are happy to finally 'meet' you! :D :D :D
Wendi in MD wrote:...So...can I do Preparing with both kiddos but at different speeds ~ having ds10 work at regular pace and finish in one year, have dd7 work at half speed with me and planning to finish in two years? I would prefer for dd to continue with the 3Rs daily, she is doing a great job with R&S2 and her math program.
Yes - sounds like a good plan to me! This sounds like it would fit both of your dc well. :D

Wendi in MD wrote:And if I do this, would it be preferable to purchase some duplicates...especially the Preparing Guide so ds can have his own copy, and maybe the Child's History book...
I would personally get 2 PHFHG guides, as my ds doing PHFHG uses his guide as much as I do. :D Also, maybe CHOW or Grandpa's Box, and possibly "Draw and Write Through History", but these are just possibilities, not necessities. The guide, IMHO, would be awesome to have 2 of. :D

Like the pp said, if at any time BHFHG is too much though, you could drop to half-speed now too - good thought there too! :D If it continues to go well though, I'd keep on keepin' on. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Would starting your 10 year old in Preparing now be an option? This way you can continue with Bigger with your 7yr. old. Although I hear doing Bigger and Preparing back-to-back is not advisable but jusing wondering :D .

I am currently using Preparing with two dc and having an extra Draw Write Now book IMHO is a must. I just purcahsed a 2nd. I don't have double of CHOW or Grandfather's Box but it would be nice because sometimes the child is suppose to reread a small portion for the written narration. Right now I am rereading those parts.

The Preparing Guide I have is propped up using a book holder, it's really an acrylic reipe holder.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

Wendi in MD

Post by Wendi in MD » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks for your advice Julie...I am pretty sure a 2nd copy of the Preparing guide is a must, and buying duplicates of some of the other often used resources will probably make our homeschooling day flow better next year too :mrgreen:.

Homeschooling6, Thanks for the recommendation about getting a duplicate drawing book...I didn't think about it but I can see my kiddos fighting over one copy of the book...especially since both of them love to draw! Thankfully, I already have one copy of the book, so I'll just plan on getting a second copy when I order our curriculum from HOD.

Regarding moving ds10 up now...I had considered that. He actually placed in Preparing when we began our HOD adventure back in the fall...but I really wanted to cover American history with him. We just finished up two years of World history with another curriculum and we were about to begin two years of American history when I found HOD. We are all loving our American history studies with Bigger this year and I would like to let him finish up Bigger, and quite frankly, I think he'd be disappointed to not finish up American history :mrgreen: . I know he'll cover American history again later, but Bigger is so much fun!
Wendi in Maryland
Wife to Scott

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:52 pm

Wendi in MD wrote:Thanks for your advice Julie...I am pretty sure a 2nd copy of the Preparing guide is a must, and buying duplicates of some of the other often used resources will probably make our homeschooling day flow better next year too :mrgreen:.

Homeschooling6, Thanks for the recommendation about getting a duplicate drawing book...I didn't think about it but I can see my kiddos fighting over one copy of the book...especially since both of them love to draw! Thankfully, I already have one copy of the book, so I'll just plan on getting a second copy when I order our curriculum from HOD.

Regarding moving ds10 up now...I had considered that. He actually placed in Preparing when we began our HOD adventure back in the fall...but I really wanted to cover American history with him. We just finished up two years of World history with another curriculum and we were about to begin two years of American history when I found HOD. We are all loving our American history studies with Bigger this year and I would like to let him finish up Bigger, and quite frankly, I think he'd be disappointed to not finish up American history :mrgreen: . I know he'll cover American history again later, but Bigger is so much fun!
I can understand that. My Preparing boys (4th and 5th) and my dd (6th) who is using another history program all together sit and listen in on Bigger history reading, so wondering if you do decide to put 10yr. in Preparing now, he can always listen in. Just another idea :?
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Wendi,

It sounds like you are having a good year and that it is going well, so at this point I would just continue on with your pair of kiddos the way you're currently doing Bigger. :D It is also good to keep in mind (as you're pondering options for the future) that with half of the Bigger Hearts guide left to do yet, it is possible that your daughter will surprise you and be ready for Preparing Hearts by the time you get there. Children do so much changing and growing during Bigger Hearts that it amazes me! :D So, while you may end up doing the two kiddos at different speeds in Preparing, you could instead find that they could still be combined when you actually get there! :wink: Honestly, you'll have to wait and see. :D

Blessings,
Carrie