Sneak Peek #6: New Guide Missions to Modern Marvels...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

Sneak Peek #6: New Guide Missions to Modern Marvels...

Post by Carrie » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:01 pm

Alright, ladies...

It is time again to share another sneak peek for our newest guide Missions to Modern Marvels. :D This one is a truly wonderful sneak peek, in an area near and dear to my heart! :D It is the area of God's precious Word and how we plan for it to live and thrive in your child's homeschool day. :D

One of the huge benefits of moving your child's history and science readings to being done independently, as CM definitely advocated, is that it opens up our teaching time to be spent in training our children's characters, hearts, and minds. Plus, in the middle school and high school years, using resources like the one I'm sharing below keeps a dialogue flowing between parent and child often on important topics that matter for eternity. :D

With this in mind, we've planned for twice weekly reading and discussion sessions using Who Am I? And What Am I Doing Here? :D

Here is the publisher's description of this book: The second book in the What We Believe series, Who Am I? (And What Am I Doing Here?) helps children understand what it means to be fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of the Most High God. This study will enable students to develop a healthy self-image based on these biblical truths: God made me in His image and crowned me with glory; He has given me special gifts and a unique purpose in life; I can creatively express God's love; I am meant to think about beautiful and praiseworthy things, especially God and His Word; I must make decisions based on God's truth; I can always know the wise thing to do; I must cultivate the fruit of the Spirit in my life; I am a beloved child of God whose true identity is found in Christ. :D

Here is a link to the Table of Contents: https://apologia.securesites.net/pdfs/T ... b1ed901064

Here is a look inside the book: https://apologia.securesites.net/pdfs/s ... b1ed901064

We also love the fact that this particular book provides a glimpse at many of the world's religions, allowing kiddos insight into each one through stories of children raised in that particular religion. Probing questions help students think through how various religions compare to what God tells us in His Word. This study will result in many terrific, and very needed, discussions with our children about how to live a life devoted to our Lord. It will also address many questions about self-image and how we can glorify the Lord with our lives. :D This is a beautiful study with terrific life applications, and we are excited to schedule it in our guide. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

andreamichele13

Re: Sneak Peek #6: New Guide Missions to Modern Marvels...

Post by andreamichele13 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:24 pm

Is this for the high school years?
ds, age 14
ds, age 8
dd, age 6
one on the way in September 2014!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:29 pm

The target age range for Missions to Modern Marvels is ages 12-14 with extensions in the area of history for ages 15-16. So, the target age range for Missions to Modern Marvels is for 7th and 8th graders, with extensions in the area of history for 9th and 10th graders. :D Some other areas scheduled within the MTMM guide will also work for 9th and 10th graders as well, like Write with the Best: Volume II. Other areas will need supplementing to make them high school worthy. :D

Here's a link to the planned scope and sequence for our guides: http://www.heartofdakota.com/scope.php

Blessings,
Carrie

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:18 am

Looks wonderful, as usual!
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:08 pm

Sounds great, Carrie! :D I really love the idea of being able to have focussed Bible/character building time with my children even as they gain independence!
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:46 pm

SO glad to hear that you're using this book, too! Sounds wonderful!! :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

OneFunSon

Post by OneFunSon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:41 pm

Carrie,

I love that you have included both private bible time and these devotional studies for us to do together. Such good life habits for our children to learn and we enjoy these discussions so much.

I was wondering, will the lessons that go along with this book be the same or similar to the ones scheduled for the first book in Rev2Rev?

Looking forward to M2MM!
Karen

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:41 pm

Karen,

Great question! :D We do plan to approach this study similarly in that we will do most of it orally and through discussion with only a few parts being done in a notebook. :D There is an extensive notebook available for this study, however we have found that we prefer to have the study be more discussion-based with less emphasis on writing one's thoughts and more emphasis on sharing one's thoughts through discussion. The notebook seems to make it more of a do-it-on-your-own type approach, which is not our intent for this study. :D We have had some wonderful discussions through Who Is God this year, and we truly look forward to this personal "talking time" continuing with an even more personal slant next year. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:40 pm

This looks so great, Carrie! I'm excited, and I pray we can keep homeschooling all the way up just to use your wonderful curriculum! :D
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

annaz

Post by annaz » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:22 pm

I'm so glad you're using this book! I bought it about a year ago and have been waiting to use it...age wise. Yay!
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

my2beauties

Post by my2beauties » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:37 am

Carrie wrote:The target age range for Missions to Modern Marvels is ages 12-14 with extensions in the area of history for ages 15-16. So, the target age range for Missions to Modern Marvels is for 7th and 8th graders, with extensions in the area of history for 9th and 10th graders. :D Some other areas scheduled within the MTMM guide will also work for 9th and 10th graders as well, like Write with the Best: Volume II. Other areas will need supplementing to make them high school worthy. :D

Here's a link to the planned scope and sequence for our guides: http://www.heartofdakota.com/scope.php

Blessings,
Carrie
Hi Carrie :)
Just wondering (as I am sure many of us are) if you will add another guide after MTMM? For us, this will take us to 7th or 8th (depending upon how we roll along with the previous guides) and we LOVE HOD so much! It would be so exciting to know if you are going to write a high school level :) Do you know yet if you are going to?

-Lisa

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi Lisa,

This link to the HOD scope and sequence will show you her plans for High School guides!

http://www.heartofdakota.com/scope.php
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM