Poll: When purchasing books to read, how much does cost

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

Poll: When purchasing books to read, how much does cost

Post by Carrie » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:17 pm

weigh into your decision about which books to choose?

For example, I am finishing up book selections for our packages for "Preparing Hearts for His Glory". In most cases there is a clear choice for read-alouds and readers. But, in a few cases, there is a short expensive book (such as "Leif the Lucky" by the D'Aulaires which is truly beautiful and well-written and priced at $13.95) or a possible replacement that is short, black and white, and done fairly well (like "Eric the Red and Leif the Lucky" priced at $3.99).

Choosing the less expensive book in this case would save about $10 on the package price. If I do this in several instances, it could save $20-30 per package price. I've been able to get around this issue in the past, by making the specific titles we've listed for read-alouds optional, but that won't be the case with this latest product, since the titles will be coordinating somewhat with the history.

I'd just love to have your opinion on this topic if you get a chance.

Blessings,
Carrie

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:29 am

Well, cost is always a factor with me in general, but in the case of read-alouds I look for the "best" books, which often doesn't mean "best-priced". I have my ways of getting around that, in other words, buying them used or looking for them at the library, if I find I cannot afford full price.

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:16 am

I had my children in private school for a couple of years before deciding to homeschool permanently. After paying $500-$600 a month for tuition, your curriculum is a fantastic deal! Money is always an issue for us, and I do shop around or go to the library if I can, but ultimately any curriculum I buy is going to be much more economic than what we were doing before homeschooling. I personally vote for the well-written book that is slightly more expensive. I love books, and I love to read one that is exciting and descriptive that keeps the kids' attention. They loved Island of the Blue Dolphins (we read it as a night time read-aloud this summer) and always begged me to read "one more chapter". Anyway, those are my thoughts. I know there are others who have a hard time finding the money to pay for curriculum each year. Maybe others on the board will have some more ideas for keeping curriculum purchases low-cost.

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:54 pm

The choices you choose are always so good.
I tend to buy my books of Alibris or used books stores sales ect. I have found some wonderful books this way.

If I really want it new I call a Grandma or an Aunt and tell her I want "such and such " title for dd's birthday. So my vote is for the less expensive version.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:15 pm

Yes money is an issue but when it comes to my kids education I will find a way to make it work. I love the fact that there is very little I will have to purchase a second and third time for my younger two. Your currciulum is very flexible and a wonderful value.

I would encourage you to go with the books you will feel best meet the needs of the curriculum.
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

Matt'sMom

Post by Matt'sMom » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:53 pm

I think a few books that cost a little more are worth it. I know you would not chose them if you did not think they better fit the curriculum and were not the best choice for the lesson. Would I want all the books to be $13.00. NO! But this will not be the case so I say chose what is best. If it presents a problem we always have the option of tryng to find it less expensive somewhere else.

Thanks for working so hard to put this together for us.

Durea

Candice

Post by Candice » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:02 pm

I admit it, I will pay just about anything for a good book! I trust your decision!

Ronda

Post by Ronda » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:03 pm

Well, my vote is go with the better written, more expensive book. I always alot part of our income tax refund to be used for the following year's school curriculum. We're coming from consumable worktexts, so your curriculum is very economical to us....it is much cheaper than what we're used to spending, plus we can use it for the subsequent children, and then resell later. If I do happen to find that money is too tight to purchase a certain book we have a wonderful interloan library system I use and I can find almost anything there, plus I can check them out for a month at a time with 2 renewals, so as long as it is not required for more than 3 months I'm good to go.
Ronda

Anna

Better books all the way!

Post by Anna » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:23 am

I have a late vote for the best choice of litterature. I think the extra cost is worth it, especially if the book is beautiful to look at.
Anna
dd -10
ds -8
dd -7
ds - 2
baby due 12/22/11

netpea

either

Post by netpea » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:18 am

We get most of our read alouds from the library unless I find them used somewhere or I'm sure we'll read them several times. I like how you give choices for books in your other programs. If I can't get a particular title from the library, I can usually get one of the choices.

Lee Ann