Excessive Taxation is Not Easy

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Daph

Excessive Taxation is Not Easy

Post by Daph » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:41 pm

We just did the exercise in Unit 13 of Bigger using mini marshmallows to explain why America went to war with England. For the fun activities, I usually include my five-year-old. After taxing the kids for different things, they had no marshmallows left. The five-year-old did a great job of demonstrating how frustrated the Americans were, when she burst into tears. My husband yelled from the other room, "I know exactly how you feel, kid." I felt so bad, I gave her a big handful of marshmallow when we were done. :( Still, it was a good lesson. :lol:
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.
Dd 5 - Kindergarten with various things.
Happily married to a graduated homeschooler who is intelligent and socialized. ;)

spidermansmum

Re: Excessive Taxation is Not Easy

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Im looking forward to that lesson :D
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:09 pm

Oh my. I think it would play out exactly the same way in our house. Taxation on marshmallows... that is harsh!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

arstephia

Post by arstephia » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:11 pm

That is funny! Thanks for sharing that story. I am looking forward to Bigger next year with my youngest. She will SO enjoy these object lessons.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

Daph

Post by Daph » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:41 pm

It was very good. Also a good lesson on why this is a good exercise for older children who fit into Bigger. :lol: :lol: I feel a little bad for turning her heartbreak into an example... :lol:
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.
Dd 5 - Kindergarten with various things.
Happily married to a graduated homeschooler who is intelligent and socialized. ;)

LAB

Post by LAB » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:34 am

I did chocolate chips and had my 8 yr old nearly in tears! We ended up having a great conversation and gave them back the cc to "support their family" by sharing with little brother. They had a lively story to tell Daddy when he got home! Loved this lesson and I hope it sticks to their hearts!
Laura, mommy to Christine (1-02), Nicole (5-03), both doing Bigger, Everett (4-09) and Alister (9-10)

psreit

Post by psreit » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:06 am

We will also do that next year. My dd is very sensitive, so it will be interesting. :)
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Oh, Daph! This one brought a "knowing smile" to my face! We had some very long faces here too with excessive taxation in Bigger this year! So, I can empathize. :D My kiddos still remember what taxation is though! :wink:

By the way, I laughed outright at your hubby's comment! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:06 pm

I couldn't bring myself to let the "tax" stand. After a few moments of my children contemplating what taxing is, I did let them have the chocolate chips! (I hope that was okay!) :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."