If you are combining 2 children into 1 guide...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
KeriJ

If you are combining 2 children into 1 guide...

Post by KeriJ » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:18 pm

raise your hand!

How is it going? Any thoughts, regrets, or things you'd do differently?

I currently have my 8 year old and 6 year old combined in Beyond. So far, so good. My 8 year old does 3rd grade level math, grammar, spelling etc. but follows the history, storytime, Bible etc. with her sister. I'm just trying to be sure that she is being adequately challenged and will continue to be so. Next year I plan to have her do the extensions when we do Bigger. I just have moments of doubt at times.

I'd love to hear others' experiences with combining.

John'smom

Re: If you are combining 2 children into 1 guide...

Post by John'smom » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:01 pm

My dc were the same age as your dc last year and we did the same scenario that you are this year!!! I love everything about it and so do my dc. This year we are plugging away happily in Bigger and the plan is for Preparing next year. The one thing I'd remember, especially once you get to Bigger, your oldest is just going to be naturally faster and better at things. This is just the age difference. Least that's been our experience, although my youngest narrations are probably finally up to where the oldest is.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:48 pm

KeriJ wrote:raise your hand!

How is it going? Any thoughts, regrets, or things you'd do differently?

I currently have my 8 year old and 6 year old combined in Beyond. So far, so good. My 8 year old does 3rd grade level math, grammar, spelling etc. but follows the history, storytime, Bible etc. with her sister. I'm just trying to be sure that she is being adequately challenged and will continue to be so. Next year I plan to have her do the extensions when we do Bigger. I just have moments of doubt at times.

I'd love to hear others' experiences with combining.
Keri,

The extensions add a lot to Bigger IMO, especially if you use the assignments with them.

Combining hasn't worked for us though we have tried! My kids don't seem to be combinable. :mrgreen: My oldest is still using Bigger as he loves it. My 7 year old is ready for Bigger now but He wasn't when the 9 yo started. Go figure! I am still pondering putting them in Preparing together this fall. I am working hard on skills with my middle guy in the meantime. My bigger concern is when we'd get to CTC. I just don't foresee my middle guy being ready for the independence with reading, especially the history! I think kids handle CTC and up when they are older. When folks use those guides for late middle school and even in to high school that scares me! I can't imagine my 9yo handling it. We'll see! It's a matter of prayer for us right now as our kids continue to surprise us. Only the Lord knows what the future holds! We love HOD a lot and I hope we will find a workable HOD scenario for our family. Ideally, I would make sure each of my kids hit Preparing in 4th. :mrgreen:

I'm not running any other guides right now. 8) I am considering it though.
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:58 pm

I forgot to add that we are using the Extension Books for Bigger as read alouds. My dc love them. Even my oldest does not fall under the age range that needs them, so I don't require the extra work out of him for it. Even without doing the extra work my dc have retained so much from the read alouds. I decided to use them because they always beg me to read more from our history book so I thought that would solve our problem. Well, it hasn't. :D They now beg me to read more of the extension book. :D

I guess my only concern is how many times I see people say they wouldn't use Preparing until 4th grade. My dd will only be in 3rd when we get there. I however believe strong what the HOD veterans say, "If you use the previous guide completely, they are prepared for the next guide." I just have to trust that. KWIM?
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

KeriJ

Post by KeriJ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:59 am

Thank you ladies. That was helpful! :)

acts29stl

Post by acts29stl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:53 pm

I've been combining my oldest dc since starting HOD back with LHTH. We are now in PHFHG and it's has work wonderful every year. My dc are only 15months apart so they are doing everything the same; ie math, english, dictation. I do like what the pp said about realizing one dc might out excel another for a time and to just be aware of that. It took me a couple of years to not stress that one "got it" and the other didn't. As the year progresses, so do the dc and everyone has growth in the area they needed and are ready to move on the next year. HTH :D
Psalm 27:4 "One thing I desire of the Lord, that will I seek; that I may behold the beauty of the Lord and meditate in His temple."
ds(13)& dd(12) MTMM, DITHOR
ds(10) CTC, DITHOR
ds(9) PHFHG, DITHOR
ds(7) LHFHG
dd(5) LHTH
dd(4) LHTH
dd(2)
dd(10-3-15)

LAB

Post by LAB » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:54 am

This is our first yr with HOD and I combined my girls who are 16 months apart in Bigger. They are in 3rd and 4th grade. My oldest has a speech delay, so in some ways her sister excells in skills like narration. I've loved having them together. They do everything together including their math. I actually had them close together so I could combine them. I'll combine my boys too if I can. They are 16 months apart as well.
Laura, mommy to Christine (1-02), Nicole (5-03), both doing Bigger, Everett (4-09) and Alister (9-10)