Let me hear you sing the praises of RevtoRev!!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
striving2Bprov31

Let me hear you sing the praises of RevtoRev!!!

Post by striving2Bprov31 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:12 pm

I would love to hear from those of you using RevtoRev!! Tell me how its going and about your experience!!
Last edited by striving2Bprov31 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Let me hear you sing the praises of RevtoRev!!!

Post by Carrie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Liz,

It's good to "see" you. :D We're using to Rev2Rev this year with our second oldest son and are really enjoying ourselves. Of course, I am completely biased, so you can ignore my review, but I'll post it just for interest's sake. :D

I am finding that the discussions we've had in Who Is God? have really been heartfelt and timely for my son's age. :D I enjoy knowing that there is a scheduled opportunity for me to talk to my son about my own faith at least twice each week. His Bible Quiet time is also something I feel really good about as I can see the habit of daily Bible time becoming a habit for him as well as memorization of Scripture and seeking the Lord in prayer. This does my heart good. :D

My son is really working hard to understand the primary source documents and the challenging level of poetry in this particular guide. I can see this as I go over the thinking questions with him each week. I have scheduled a 30 minute time each day to go over whatever he's done independently. He never knows what I will ask him from his "I" work, so he is ready at any time to be asked about any of those subjects. I also love to see his notebook coming together for Rev2Rev. I can see he is forming the habit of being able to organize his thoughts and write at the drop of a hat. :D His narration writing is getting quicker and definitely improving. :D

I am loving DITHR 6/7/8 with my son too, as I can see years of DITHR coming to fruition. Level 6/7/8 is much more independent, and my son is enjoying this while still getting to have time with me for discussions. My third little guy is in Level 2/3 of DITHR this year, so he and my Level 6/7/8 son are doing it together. That has been a fun mix as well. :D

My son really is soaring in the creative writing course we're doing in Rev2Rev this year. He gained so much in Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons in RTR, and the creative writing course this year is a totally different feel making writing feel fresh again. :D

The Exploration Education science has been a hit here, and my son is loving building and testing his various models. Plus, he's learning to write a more involved lab report. :D The inventor study is something he truly cannot get enough of... as he's loving the books so much. He's inspired by the stories of the inventors and has a better understanding of how the inventions came into being. :D He fancies himself to be an inventor too and is constantly thinking of things he could build or invent. :wink:

His card deck of the signers of the Declaration of Independence continues to grow, as do his research skills. His composer study has him listening to and enjoying classical music (and the rest of my household is benefitting as I hear classical music coming from the rooms of my little ones at night too!) :D

Last, but not least, we're enjoying my son's projects so much. :D Tonight we had hasty pudding that he made for a project, and last night we had Christmas bread pudding. :D My son is learning to follow recipes on his own, use the oven, and even clean up after himself... all as a part of school! :D These are truly good habits to form. Plus, my son whose always been a dawdler is finishing on time almost every day, and still gets up early at 6:30 of his own choosing to get started early. :D This was my child who you could not dynamite out of bed. So, we're thrilled to say the least. :D

Years of using the HOD guides are coming to fruition with my 7th grader, and it blesses and encourages me so much! His heart is still tender, and he is not perfect but rather a work-in-progress, but then so am I! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Mom25

Post by Mom25 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:24 pm

We are on week 10 of Rev to Rev and L-O-V-I-N-G it!! The kids are very happy with their independent work, and I'm enjoying our "together" times. The worldview book is excellent, and we're having some very meaningful discussions. The music appreciation lap book is coming together and the whole family enjoys listening to the music--even the 3yo wanders over to listen. The creative writing is so much fun, and both my 12yos (ds and dd) are engaged and learning a lot--I love that the CW book is from a Christian perspective. And finally, I have to say that science has been a huge hit. The twins built an electric circuit together the other day and when they were done, I heard this from the other room: "Mom! Come look!! Science is SO COOL this year!!" We're so glad we chose to go with Rev to Rev this year (also doing Bigger Hearts and MFW Kinder.) It's been a bit of a challenge fitting it all in, but we're managing! :D 8) 8)

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:12 pm

This is awesome to hear, since we have Rev2Rev here all ready to use for next year!! I know it looks awesome!! :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi Liz! :D I wanted to try to answer this when I had more time, and tonight is the night. :D As you know, Wyatt is doing RevtoRev this year, and we are a little less than half of the way through the guide. Both Wyatt and I are enjoying this guide so much. Time is literally flying by. :D The history books Wyatt is reading have captivated his attention. He can be found with his nose happily buried in his "Reading about History" books, or his headphones on soaking up Diana Waring's or Jim Weis' amazing storytelling talents. This feels like a harvest season for me, as there are some things that Wyatt has come so far with that I spent some real time working on with him within HOD's previous guides. :D For example, I am honestly having a difficult time coming up with critiques for his oral and written narrations these days - and I'm one picky teacher when it comes to CM skills because I have come to believe they are extremely important. Using the checklists in the backs of the guide has made the editing process become easier and easier for Wyatt's written work, and it is rare he makes errors (and this from a boy who was NOT a natural speller). :D I look forward to reading his written narrations so much these days. I like the variety in history materials that are used. Between the Reading about History books, the Storytime books, the audio selections, and the Primary Source documents, there are a LOT of different styles of excellent narrators to be found among these seasoned authors. I think this has helped him find his own style of narrating - and I am liking his style very, very much! :D

I can see him connecting with the material in a BIG way. This excitement about what he is learning in history is spilling over to "life" in general outside of RevtoRev time. For example, when hanging out with the cousins, he wanted to hold a trial and be a lawyer who defended the need for the Declaration of Independence. I happened to walk into this activity to hear him quoting different people to defend the cause. He was on fire! :lol: He also has begun to talk with this huge vocabulary pretending to defend this right or that, in jest of course, but really - he sounds pretty convincing. :wink: Again, this coming from a boy who did NOT like speaking in front of groups at all, having had speech therapy for years when he was little. He's been trading his computer time to watch the "American Testimony", which I got just to watch sometime, not necessarily now, as he's not doing the extensions and certainly doesn't need to. You should hear him talk his little brother Riley into watching with him - it's the history sales pitch of the time period... "Do you know this battle or that person is in this, Riley! Remember that was when so and so did this amazing thing, and you've just GOT to see this!" :D He's also been writing a "newspaper", chronicling this or that happening in our home, or with the cousins, again with a style that mimics his history readings. :D

This leads me to the history projects. These are grown up history projects, and he is doing them all on his own. I love seeing what he is doing, and I am very thankful that hands-on is kept a part of the plans in RevtoRev, as so many guides drop it. This is where I see real life application as well. Wyatt LOVES to cook and to bake, and I think this passion has been ignited by some of the history projects in RevtoRev. Just today he pulled out a binder and some tabs and began labeling them to start his own cookbook collection of recipes he's made in HOD. He's photocopying his favorites to keep for "all time" and make again and again. :D These projects are worthy endeavors for older dc. Baked pottery project, monogrammed coins, painted and oil pastel Chinese vase, original games written to match the history exactly, haiku/origami project, watercolor painting, mapping projects - the variety is huge! It's been neat to see some new talents and interests sparked by the history projects. :D

I've noticed that the Storytime questions are some "deep thinking" type questions. They really require him to do some analyzing to be able to answer well. I am thankful we are not doing basic comprehension questions with one word exact answers. This is so much more interesting for the both of us to discuss these types of questions! The poetry is difficult, as are the primary source documents. I looked at those and wondered if my ds could handle them. He can! I make sure to ask the follow-up questions and discuss anything noted in the guide, as I like to be sure he's understanding these, but they are really well-matched the history and definitely provide some unique insights, in-depth points of view, and higher level thinking for history. :D

I like the specific vignettes of history the Map Trek mapping assignments provide, alongside the bigger picture views of history the US Atlas provides. The two complement one another, and work together to help Wyatt learn some great mapping skills. This leads me to research. Wyatt is REALLY enjoying his research of the signers. "The Signers" gives just enough information to paint a good picture of each signer without overwhelming with too much information. The signers' cards activity is a favorite of Wyatt's. He loves to look at each of their portraits and signatures, and then answer the questions about each signer on the back of the card with his own unique answers that show he did the research well, but also show what struck him as most important and interesting. :D

His history notebooking is just beautiful. The full-color period artwork shown in the notebooking is another way he is immersed in the time period, and the questions that go along with it bring out much thought and good connections about history itself. His drawings with "Draw and Write..." are looking GREAT - again from a boy who did not enjoy drawing. His timeline pictures show the major events studied in each unit and help him better remember the major events of this time period. I like that he'll be able to join them with his previous timelines to make a book of centuries of sorts. :D

The State Study is interesting, Christian, full of full-color pictures, and totally independent! I cannot think of any other way I'd want to study the states. Each day he hands in his work, I check it with they key, and bada-bing-bada-boom, done. :D It's done very narratively, believe it or not. The stories and facts Joy Deen chose are fascinating, and Wyatt is usually shouting out things like, "Hey did you know the first highway was in Mississippi?" or "Did you know there was a law that... in .... - isn't that weird, Mom?" :D He is really enjoying it.

I've noticed a big interest in inventions as well, obviously sparked by the Inventor study. These books are so interesting - I LOVE listening to his oral narrations - these inventors just had amazing minds, yet many came from poverty-stricken homes. Inspiring - to say the least! I really like the Inventor notebooking pages. His written narrations are really full of his personality in these, as they are shorter, and he chooses just want he wants most to write about. The timeline he does along with them is neat too, and there is just something neat about seeing portraits of these people, and pictures of their inventions. It brings it all to life because we can visualize it so well. :D Wyatt has been dreaming up ways to build a new kind of transportation for the average Joe - one that doesn't use gas on roads that don't need to be repaired. Wouldn't it be great if he really came up with something?!? :lol: I can tell he's putting together his physical science and his inventor study and really thinking about how modern day problems could be solved using scientific methods. That brings me to physical science with "Exploration Education". He LOVES every part of this - the building of the racer/circuit/etc., the experimenting with it, the computer reading, and even the logbook. I LOVE that this is independent, and I can clearly see from my answer key and from looking at his racer/circuit/etc. that he "got it". His answers in his logbook are pretty amazing - definitely learning and using some new vocabulary there.

The Music Appreciation box has been fun. "The Story of Classical Music" is so narrative. I find myself just listening for fun along with him. The lapbook is something different that he is getting excited to see put all together. I've noticed carryover into life with this too. He sometimes puts in his music CD's just to listen for fun while working on something else. He also has been pausing some of his little brother's cartoons and saying, "Do you recognize this? This is one of the most famous musical pieces by ____!" Or he'll just notice the background music more and the mood it evokes - often commenting on it to his little brothers who look on with awe. :D

Wyatt's independent Bible Quiet Time and our partnering together to do the "Who Is God?..." study is a great balance. He has accountability for having his own Bible quiet time, and it's a great one. He really likes Evelyn Wheeler's studies. They dig pretty deep without being overwhelming. I have him say his Bible passage for me about every other day - and wow - it's getting long, but he can do it. I love to hear him say "BY FAITH..." over and over again with such conviction, as that heroes of the faith passage in Hebrews does. It honestly gives me chills, and I pray he always has this conviction that BY FAITH all things are possible. I've also noticed when he takes a turn praying before meals that he is trying to use the ACTS model of praying that he has does for his quiet time - it just fills my heart up with joy when he does this. The "Who is God?" study is narrative as well, and it is laying some excellent groundwork, explaining the nuts and bolts in ways that make sense. I really like how a friend of the boy's in the stories is being brought along to know the Lord bit by bit, and how the boy and his family take advantage of everyday happenings to explain God to him. It is not fake - it is how any of us can go about sharing the Lord, looking for opportunities that arise in daily happenings. I have learned more from this than I learned in a "how to share your faith" class I took at church. We have had some d-e-e-p talks about things happening in our lives and those around us as a result of the things that have come up in "Who Is God?..." I'm thankful for this guidance.

Dictation is a challenge for Wyatt at this level, but in a good way. He studies pretty carefully these days, and he misses one about every 3 days or so. He rarely misspells anything in his written work, and believe me, he isn't just picking easy to spell words! If you'd told me Wyatt would be an excellent speller 5 years ago, I'd have had real trouble believing it - dictation has certainly proven itself enough for me! :D R & S English - hands-down the best English program out there IMO. It is amazing how much he is gleaning from this. This is one of those things that I feel we are in the harvest season of right now. He knows the answers to the oral questions, he can do the written work quickly, efficiently, and well, and it is carrying over into his writing in everything. Outlining, taking notes, etc. - it is all just coming together. Singapore Math - same thing. He just gets it. I think it is HARD, but he somehow is humming his way through it with a smile - he looks forward to it! I'm so glad the assignments are not long though - that would change his tune I am sure. :wink: I let him write in the Textbook, so it flies. He is getting A's with occasional B's - way to go Wyatt! :D He is doing "Drawn into the Heart of Reading" 6/7/8 this year and still loving it. The books Carrie has picked have all been hits with him. The projects he often does with his middle brother, and the kickoffs are just plain fun. He likes the workbook being written to him this year, and he is turning out some awesome work in it. That brings me to Creative Writing. This author is just an incredible encourager! She is talented and inspirational - what a winning combination. He just finished doing some in-depth character sketches - very interesting to read, as I know the people he chose as characters well. The sketches were detailed and accurate, but they held up to the golden rule standard Ruth McDaniel teaches. I'm really enjoying the work he is doing within this program. :D

Finally, I really appreciate that RevtoRev is letting my ds grow up gracefully, still under my tutelage but not under my thumb. He is soaring. I feel like my interaction with him is just the right amount of time, doing just the right variety of things, and the things kept best independent are. He wants to be treated as a growing young man, and I want to respect that but still hold on to the parenting/teaching things I need to. I feel like RevtoRev is helping us balance that well. We love our time together, but we're not together all the time. I have follow-ups that help me keep close tabs on his work without me having to hold his hand through all his work. I just cannot say enough good about RevtoRev. It is helping me navigate this "heading for teen years" well, and it is also giving me time to work with my other dc when they need more of me. I will remember this year as a special one for Wyatt and me - I will remember it with joy. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Molly

Post by Molly » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:55 pm

Carrie, Mom25 and Julie, what a joy to read your posts. I read things like this and I get so excited with what my children are going to be able to do.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:41 pm

I love these wonderful reviews. My older son is working through RTR right now, but he will only have 9 weeks of work left when we come back from Christmas break. We plan to pick right up with Rev to Rev (probably in March). He is excited and so am I. These reviews just help that excitement right along.

:mrgreen:
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:07 pm

We LOVE Rev2Rev! :D Every year it seems the HOD guides get better. The connections my son is making in history, because of the chosen resources and the way they are scheduled, are amazing! Science is definitely a favorite with my son this year. My favorite part of the program is the worldview study. We've had lots of great discussions. :) Overall, we are very happy with Rev2Rev. :)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:00 pm

I'm so glad to hear from those of you using Rev2Rev! We always enjoy feedback on the new guides. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:29 am

We are using it this year! We love it! :D We are not as far into it as the rest of you are. Our year starts later than most. I am doing the beefed up version for high school. My dd is a little more independent. She is absolutely loving it! :D I asked her about what she is loving recently. One thing she is really surprised about is she is really loving learning about music. She said she thought she did not like classical music and now it is her fascination. She loves learning about the inventors. I added that even though we are reluctantly doing other science due to her level and science path. So glad I added at least that part. She told me she also is really loving the story time and the extension books. She loves it all but these are the areas she is beaming about currently. :wink:

Can't wait until next year when I use it with my younger kids and then I get to do more of it. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:33 pm

Thanks so much for taking time to share, ladies! :D We are loving Rev2Rev right along with you! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

striving2Bprov31

Post by striving2Bprov31 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:29 am

Thank you guys so much for sharing your thoughts! I very much appreciate it!!

Have a very merry Christmas!!