Any advice?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marty D

Any advice?

Post by Marty D » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:46 pm

Ok, this is going to probably be lengthy, but I really don't know what to do. This may also seem trivial to some, but it is weighing on my mind, and I finally just have to ask you guys.

I have a 4 1/2 yo son who is very smart. I ordered LHTH for him, and it arrived on Monday. I started it today, and, as I was afraid, he fought me. The beginning was fine. (Even my just barely 2 yo was saying Aaaa.) I did the reading in our Bible story book and then I started doing the color with white and then go over with black paint. (We used markers instead of paint and it worked very well) He normally loves to color, but today he just wanted to quit.

I helped him finish up his picture, but then just let him go. I only plan on doing about three days a week, and I know it is early. I am just concerned at the lack of desire to do anything.

My oldest child just turned 8, and he has severe ADHD. I have always had a hard time getting him to stay seated and keeping him on task, but he seems to have a true desire to learn. He loves science and, though he will be standing on his head, he will watch things about animals or how to make things, or historical documentaries until his eyeballs fall out.

I guess that is what bothers me. My middle ds can sit in a classroom at church and listen intently. He is always very well behaved at church, and obviously has a great attention span. He seems to enjoy class there, but at home he shows no interest. There is nothing that really sparks his interest.

And then there was what my fil said to me tonight. He said he thinks that Daniel (middle ds) would benefit from a classroom setting. I have always wanted to hs all the way through, and this is discouraging to me, but if it is the best for him then I want to do what is best.

Anyone have any great advice for me? If not, can you just pray that God will show me what is best for him.

Thanks
Martha

Mom to 3 boys --Nathanael 8, Daniel 5, and Karsten 2

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Thu May 01, 2008 2:16 am

Oh Martha, (((Big Hugs)))

What a wonderful Mama you are. I could hear your deep love for your children through every word you wrote in your post. God will honor this.

I will share with you my thoughts, but know they are just that. The Lord is faithful and He will show you exactly what you need to do. (warm smile)

First of all, if you were telling me that you just felt the Lord overwhelming you to put your child in school, I would encourage you to drop everything and run to the closest school to register! (smiling)

Also, I do not think homeschooling is the right choice for every family. (though I believe in it so much I sometimes do struggle with forgetting to remember that.) :?

But (hear my heart and know that there is a big smile on my face, typing can be so hard sometimes) I would not base my decision to homeschool on outward circumstances.

If you feel led to homeschool then no matter what you should homeschool.

I have four sons. Two are VERY social, two are very thoughtful and quiet. Three have learning disabilities. I cannot tell you the field day my thought life could have "if" I stop and focus on the outward circumstances..., Am "I" was qualified enough to teach my special needs child? What if they could do better? Am I cheating them?

But the truth is, the Lord called me to homeschool and His power is made perfect in my weakness. So no matter what the circumstances, I have to walk in obedience to my call.

His call/direction for my life does not change because my child is struggling or because they complain or because they ask to go to school or because I have a bad day. However, the enemy loves to use those very things to distract us from the calling the Lord puts on our life.

The truth is YOU CAN DO THIS! The truth is HE IS ONLY 4 1/2. The truth is it takes time to find a pattern/rhythm to your day.

I would say if you have felt like homeschooling was what you were supposed to do and you only started to feel a "hesitancy" based on your childs behavior/circumstance that I would not even consider changing coarse!

I would grab a cup of coffee, my bible and just sit in and cry out to the Lord!

"There is no one like the God of Israel. He rides across the heavens to help you, Across the skies in Majestic Splendor"! Duet 33:26

*** Stopping right now to pray that the Lord would speak so tenderly and clearly to your heart Martha!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Thu May 01, 2008 5:00 am

I'm sorry you are feeling frustrated right now. Homeschooling can be the most wonderful thing and the most frustrating thing all at the same time. I'd say that your son is young and not used to having mom as a teacher yet. He has probably been made to understand that when you go to church it's time to be quiet and listen. But home is usually free play. So it may take awhile for him to understand that there are times at home that he'll need to sit still. You're plan to start in with only 2 days a week sounds good. You could also break the sections up and only do one or two boxes at a time throughout the day until he is ready to sit for longer. I hope you can find a solution that works for you and your family.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Thu May 01, 2008 5:11 am

It is hard to add anything after what Mama Mary articulated. But I just want to expound on what crlacey said. Your 4 year old is probably not used to the idea of mom/school, etc. Both of my boys can do like you say in Sunday School, or at CBS or co-op, but for Mom... THEY STILL BALK. And what kills me is they don't just balk at the subjects that are hard for them, they can balk at ANYTHING. Even their favorite subjects.

A very wise, homeschooling mentor said something to me that I have had to remember. She suggested that the first year of homeschooling a child is less about academics and more about establishing the order and discipline of a homeschool. When you GO somewhere [Sunday School] it makes sense that listening, learning, etc., fit into that room. But when you are talking about HOME, where they play, sleep, like to have little power plays with mom and dad, switching gears to school can be confusing, or something they resent.

I think the fact that you are spending small amounts of time gearing up for when he is 6 can only help.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Thu May 01, 2008 6:15 am

The other ladies have given you great encouragement. I just want to say that my oldest also balked when we first started and he was asking for school. I do believe there is a transition time for little ones to learn that mom can be "teacher" and that directed activies can be lots of fun. I pray that you will be able to find the smoothest path possible through this bumpy transition time in your homeschooling journey.

On the being served best in a classroom comment. That is for you to decide. I have received such comments about my oldest as he is borderline Asperger's. However he is very intelligent and would end up causing problems in school due to being bored. We have made the decision to homeschool based on our beliefs and what we feel is best for him. I pray that you will be able to do the same and others will allow you the space and respect to do the same.
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

Marty D

thanks so much for your replies

Post by Marty D » Thu May 01, 2008 8:34 am

I appreciate all your time in replying to me. I really do feel led to homeschool and have since before I had kids. What you all said makes a lot of sense. I think it will take some time for him to get used to school, and mommy being teacher. I will just keep plugging away.

I am used to people telling me that I should put them in school, because my oldest ds is right on the borderline of aspergers also. mom2boys, sounds like we have a lot in common :D . Actually the neuropsychologist who tested Nathanael suggested I send him to school because he was "too much for one person to handle all day". He is difficult sometimes, but he is also very smart, and I could not send him to a place that he was forced into a mold and forced to sit still all day.

After hearing all your wise comments, I am feeling better. We will keep working a few times a week, and I am sure eventually we will find the things that interest him, and he will learn that I am mommy and teacher. You have put some perspective that I did not have before on my situation . Thanks again
Martha

Mom to 3 boys --Nathanael 8, Daniel 5, and Karsten 2

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu May 01, 2008 11:08 am

Hey I just wanted to respond and say please hang in there. God gives you the call for your children and He does not send side messages to the rest of your family. He chose you to be the parent and that was specifically to hear His call.

I listened once and put my kids back in school. I had at the time 4 small children and one who has cerebral palsy. I was told that it would be best for them by family and professionals. The worst thing I ever did was listen to them. And when I pulled them out of school eventually the principal actually called me in her office with some other key ps employees to tell me that I was not qualified to teach my own child and that I was making a mistake. Even just recently my father told me that I was sacrificing my family for the sake of my one child with special needs and that I was ruining their chances for a normal life because they were not socializing. That was hard to hear but simple at this point having blown it once to answer. Simply, God called me to this and so therefore it is my children's call as well. And I will have to answer to Him if I do not follow that call. So therefore I would rather answer to you now as to why I am still going to follow Him, than to answer to Him later as to why I listen to you.

People say things out of fear. They get scared when they see people do things they would never have the courage to do themselves. It is not always because they think it is wrong. Sometimes it is because deep down inside they know what you are doing is right and that scares them too. God is not asking us to make decisions on fear. If you have always felt hsing was the way then God did call you. Hang in there long enough to see the blessing. It will come and if it is His call for you it will be His best for you and for them. :D Please rest in that and protect yourself from comments from others that did not hear your call from God.

Yesterday we ended our second year in hsing officially. I was looking back with my dd who has CP and has recently honestly been showing me what hormones are all about. So even in the midst of all that we were able to look back. I asked her what she thought her special ed teacher would say if she could see how she could read. She told me that she thought she would never believe how far we have come or that we could learn so much homeschooling. And she told me that she can see now that she did not learn anything in school or learn as fast as we have hsing. So even she can see that it was right and it is worth it even in the tough times. So you just have to hang in there a while to see the rewards. And sometimes it means that you just have to turn your ears off and shut them to anyone but God. Hang in there and walk through this time. You will find rest on the other side. 8) It will be worth it! Just allow yourself and your child the time to see that.

Hope things get to feeling more solid for you soon!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Thu May 01, 2008 11:45 am

w2w!

What a testimony.
Thank you for sharing that!
Great Momming. ;) Listening to the LORD above men will bless your children. \o/ Praise the LORD!

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu May 01, 2008 11:56 am

water2wine wrote: People say things out of fear. They get scared when they see people do things they would never have the courage to do themselves. It is not always because they think it is wrong. Sometimes it is because deep down inside they know what you are doing is right and that scares them too. God is not asking us to make decisions on fear. If you have always felt hsing was the way then God did call you. Hang in there long enough to see the blessing. It will come and if it is His call for you it will be His best for you and for them. :D Please rest in that and protect yourself from comments from others that did not hear your call from God.
OH W2W!! That is so true and beautifully said. You are truly and inspiration to us all!

mo2&2 I don't know how to post 2 quotes (let's not go into that, I've already learned way more techy stuff from you all than my dh dreamed possible :roll: ) but I LOVE your expression "great momming"! I'm gonna use that one! :wink:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 01, 2008 3:11 pm

mamamia,

If you're out there, this thread is for you too! :D Here's that encouragement you are needing as you've been posting your concerns that you're heading down this same road! I hope this thread will encourage you today as well. The moms pouring their hearts out on this thread couldn't have said it any better! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu May 01, 2008 4:07 pm

Martha,

I hope you've been encouraged here...I know I have. I'm not struggling with anyone telling me I'm not doing the right thing, or wondering if I can do it right now, but I have and I know I probably will again. w2w and MamaMary, you have shared much wisdom! :D Thanks!

Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu May 01, 2008 5:22 pm

Hang in there! Pray for peace and understanding for your troubled heart. Most of us have those feelings at some point. My 7yo has begun to throw fits when I try to start schoolwork. I think for him it is a need for a fixed schedule that will tell him what is coming when.

Your child may benefit from you having a set time each day to do your work even if it's only a 10 minute period at a time. I wish I had been more consistent timewise earlier, I can see that I will have to start scheduling for my son which is hard for me. (I hate schedules, I am still rebellious.)

Praying for you.

Candice

Post by Candice » Thu May 01, 2008 7:54 pm

Martha,

I hope you have gained some comfort and direction from these wonderful posts. The ladies here are so supportive. I won't offer any advice as I am pretty "green" in the parenting and homeschooling department however, I would happily offer prayer for your situation!

God bless,
Candice :D

shera

Post by shera » Thu May 01, 2008 8:10 pm

The only thing I can say is pray and try to be consistent. With my ds in the beginning he was always wondering is this a school day or not. Once we got into a routine of breakfast then school, he was much better. He also likes to pick what we do first which is always as he calls it the couch stuff. This is the history, readers, and storytime along with anything that does not have to be done at the table. Then I tell him his table stuff to do and let him do it in whatever order he wants. We also emphasize that some things are not a choice. Dad has to go to work even if he doesn't want to and he has to do school.

HTH
Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04