Trying to decide...HOD or MFW for my 9yo ds....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
blessedx5

Trying to decide...HOD or MFW for my 9yo ds....

Post by blessedx5 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:28 pm

This year I am using MFW ECC with our 9yo ds and MFWK with our 6yo ds. My 4yo dd is just hanging out.

I do know I am going to use HOD LHTH with my 4yo dd the new school year and LHFHG with my 6yo ds.

Now I debate....do I continue on with MFW since I will be starting HOD with the latest book..Preparing and there is no other book after this one? I hate to switch curriculums for one year although I LOVE the look of it. KWIM? Anyone else in a similar situation?

Debbie

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:45 pm

Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:53 pm

Hi Debbie,

I'm in the same boat right now. I'm debating using Preparing or MFW CtG.

If you know you will switch to HOD I would not do ECC this year. I would go with Preparing. There are going to be four more Guides after preparing.

Click the link http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1025 to read about them. You have to scroll down to Carrie's post.

If you do preparing for 4th grade and do the next four guides for 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th you will be done and ready for High School. That's just my .02 on it.

If you want to do ECC than another option would be to do ECC now and skip Preparing and start with the 4yr cycle. The only reason why I would skip Preparing is to be done before 9th grade.

Hope I'm not confusing you. I'm just thinking ahead :wink: the years go by so fast.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

blessedx5

we are

Post by blessedx5 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:02 pm

already using ECC...will be finished by end of June. So...technically he is 4th grade now.

Debbie

Homeschooling6

Re: we are

Post by Homeschooling6 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:17 pm

blessedx5 wrote:already using ECC...will be finished by end of June. So...technically he is 4th grade now.

Debbie
This is where where we are too. I'm still not sure, but I am going to order the Guide for Preparing and go from there. I already purchased CtG, but I really like the looks of HOD.

Hopefully by the Fall, I'll have it all figured out.

Sorry I wasn't much help :?

Blessings,
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:28 pm

We're in the same boat....but now I need to add an "ugh." LOL

We are using MFW ECC. I am not continuting with MFW CtG. I didn't like all the books and wouldn't be using 2/3 of the materials so I didn't feel it was worth it. I preferred other books for a spine as well.

If you search through some posts you find some comments on CtG, and they are what sealed my fate on not continuing with that one.

I WAS thinking we'd do Bigger for 4th...and I totally didn't think of getting through the history cycles by 9th grade...so I am wondering if I now need to seriously lean towards Preparing instead....

Dd wants bigger...and I do want her Amer. History more solidifed. We wouldn't get back to that for quite a while if we didn't do it next year.

Well, it's Bigger or Preparing here. No MFW. Off to the drawing board to figure all this back out - lol!

Meg - we need to talk - LOL!

Tab

blessedx5

thanks ladies...

Post by blessedx5 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:40 pm

Our homeschool conference in NC is coming up the end of May. I guess I will spending quite a bit of time at HOD at the book fair :wink: I remember seeing LHTH for the first time there 2 or 3 years ago but didn't realize what a GEM it was at the time.

Debbie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:05 pm

Debbie-
I'll be doing Preparing... next year, and I know that Carrie will definitely finish the next 4 year cycle for sure. Her dh wouldn't have it any other way, and neither would she!!! As far as your decision, I would just say that I think that HOD makes it a joy to continue homeschooling year after year. It takes the guesswork out of deciding whether you have a complete curriculum or not, because all of HOD's guides are totally complete. The guides are time-conscious as well, so you won't find time-wasters in there, like having to head to the library for books all of a sudden, or having to head to Walmart for materials for experiments, etc.

I also love how each guide moves children toward independence as they master skills. Preparing... has "T" for teacher-directed parts, "S" for semi-independent parts, and "I" for independent parts. That's a visual for all of us showing how HOD's guides begin to move dc to more and more independence as they are ready for it. I think this is key, since many of us are doing several HOD programs and have young children; also, I believe with all of my heart that it safeguards us homeschool moms from getting burned out.

I know you'd enjoy Preparing..., and I'd love to be going through it "together" with you next year so we can share with each other. Hope you decide to do it! Either way, I'll be finishing LHFHG next year, and starting BLHFHG, so we can enjoy that together for sure!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

wdworkman

We're in the same place

Post by wdworkman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:50 am

I'm finishing up ECC with my just turned 10 yos in a couple of weeks & plan to start Preparing in September. So if you decide to go that way, I'll be looking forward to comparing notes with you!

I used several MFW years with my daughter (now in high school) & she loved it, but my son is a different person! I think HOD is going to be so much better for him.