advice on supplies needed

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Laura O.

advice on supplies needed

Post by Laura O. » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:44 am

Sorry, more newbie questions :oops: :D I'm planning out what to order and what I need to go ahead and get to have on hand for the kiddos, like notebooks and binders etc. Depending on what all I need to get, I might want to order binders and such from the States, since I live in Japan. For my ds5, ds8 and dd10, what all would need? Do you usually get them each several normal notebooks? or binders with loose leaf pages? Any other supplies I should get ready? I realize it might be easier to get them after I get all the curriculum, but if want to get things from the States, I'll need to do it in advance :? :D

thanks again for all your help!!

Laura
Laura~in Japan
4dc:
Leah ~CtC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM and now WG
Rhys ~ BHFHG, PHFHG, ,CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev
Levi ~ LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG and now CTC
Emma LHTH, LHFHG and now BLHFHG
dh~together for 19 years :)

chillin'inandover

Re: advice on supplies needed

Post by chillin'inandover » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:18 am

What levels of HOD are you going to use?

Laura O.

Post by Laura O. » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:55 am

I'm still very much debating :? But, I *think* this is what we'll use:

ds5-- Little Hearts for His Glory

ds8--Preparing Hearts for His Glory

dd10--Resurrection to Reformation

I debated the most about my dd. Altough we have been homeschooling all along, we've never used HOD, and never done any narratives and such. So, I was king of wondering if it would be tough to start out with RtoR :? But, she reads CONSTANTLY, high school level books. She would read all day if she could :lol: :lol: Anyway, these are what I think we will go with.

EDIT: After thinking about it AGAIN :? :roll: :oops: , I'm thinking maybe it would be better to go with the "younger" guides to give them time to "grow into" the HOD curriculum? Which would mean,

DD10-- Creation to Christ
DS8--Bigger Hearts for His Glory
and DS5 I would keep at Little Hearts for His Glory.... I'm probably overthinking :oops: but I just want to choose what would be "best" for each kiddo. If you have more thoughts or advice on which program to choose, please, let me know!!

Thanks again!!

Laura
Laura~in Japan
4dc:

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:55 am

I am not The expert on placement and this message board is filled with God honoring wisdom but in my opinion I would look at writing and level of independence for correct placement in addition to reading level. Preparing was an amazing guide to gain independence at successfully completing history and science independently. Writing had many prompts to work on independent writing and was teacher directed so the teacher would ask the questions making sure that students know the answer, if not help them find the answer. Then the student writes a 3-5 sentence written narration. CTC assumes that science and history can be completed independently, but it can be adapted. When adapting each guide gets progressively more difficult so then the full benefit of guide is not utilized. In CTC history written narration is no longer teacher directed with the questions and helping find answers but instead prompts students to think and find answers and then write 5-8 sentence written narration for history.
My ds 9 completed and really enjoyed Preparing but he does not have the independent writing skills required in CTC so I am addressing those skills this year in my created guide using HOD resources for DITHOR, Ignite the writing, Rod & Staff 4. I am using resources I had for Bible, poetry, science, geography, and history to prepare my ds for CTC next year. My ds also did not have cursive writing skills so he is also finishing cheerful cursive. For my ds the issue seems to be getting a thought into writing which is a skill he is making progress on. My ds did amazing on his state required standardized testing so he has the "smarts" to answer questions but just can't formulate that into an independent thought and write it yet.

Hope this helps in your decisions.
Tammy

Laura O.

Post by Laura O. » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:13 pm

Tammy,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply! I really did find if very helpful :D :D From what I have read and found out, I'm really sure that I will love HOD, but I think it will be an adjustment from what my dc are currently doing. After everyone's advice and going over the placement guides, I feel pretty confident that DS8 will be just right in Bigger, and ds5 will do well in Little Hearts for His Glory. I am still a little unsure about dd :? She works really well independently, reading directions, answering questions etc. Currently she does most of her studies without much direction from me. BUT, she has never done any narratives or dictation yet. SO, I'm a little torn between doing Creation to Christ, OR Preparing and adding extensions?

Also, based on these choices, do you have any advice on what notebooks or binders that I might need?

Really, thanks again for taking the time to help me out :D
Laura~in Japan
4dc:

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi, just based on what you said, I would actually lean toward Preparing with extensions. If she has never done narrations, this would give her time to grow into that skill. If she is able, you could let her "take over" the Reading About History, and just make sure you join her for the follow-ups. You can choose wihatever level of grammar and math are appropriate-Rod and Staff 3 or 4 based on how much formal grammar she has done, and Singapore math 3 or 4, based on the Singapore placement test available online. Drawn into the Heart of Reading level 4/5 would round everything out nicely. The extensions will satisfy her "need to read" and follow-up activities in the appendix will also prepare her for the greater amount of writing required in CTC. My avid reader did Preparing at age 10, and she found it challenging and interesting :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Laura O.

Post by Laura O. » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Thanks Lourdes! I was kind of feeling that Preparing might be better to, well, prepare :lol: But I think what I worry about is that she is finishing up 6th grade studies in the curriculum we are doing now, so I just didn't want her to move back, if she would do well at the others...if that makes sense? I keep going back in forth :roll: :?
Thanks so much for helping me figure things out!!

Laura
Laura~in Japan
4dc:

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:23 pm

I believe Preparing would be a nice fit for your dd but you know her best! Preparing does cover World History and 6th grade is a great age to do that. Here are some visuals for CTC and Preparing.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4003&p=29538

Here is a visual for supplies needed for preparing.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10426&p=76341&hilit ... ing#p76341

My ds really enjoyed the 35 projects he completed in Preparing, his favorite was the illuminated manuscript or was it the denarius and pouch or maybe the spice chart. It is too hard to choose! He enjoyed the timeline too! Writing poetry grew on him although not his favorite to complete he was proud of his results-that he could write poetry! In CTC the child recites the chosen poem, shares interesting info about poem, paints a picture of the poem, and copies the poem. Preparing has dc read poetry, recite poetry in a special way, analyze it, and complete a writing activity based on poetry.
Tammy
married 22 years to dh
19 yo dd grad from hs in 2010 will have BA in theatre in 12/2012
17 yo dd grad from hs in 5/2012 just received yukata from Japan for sr pictures
9 yo ds wants to be farmer, restraunt owner, botanist, scientist
5 yo dd wants to go to China

anointedhsmom

Post by anointedhsmom » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Laura,

I just wanted to encourage you that it's ok to be on the older end of the age range for the guides. My son is on the older end and it's going well for him. I think you will find that HOD is much more meaty than first meets the eye, even in Preparing. I think that your daughter would be fine in either Preparing or CtC but just keep in mind that CtC does assume complete independence in history, science, research, geography, etc. If she's not independent at the beginning of CtC that's ok too . You can slowly train her to be independent in those areas. It's also important to remember that your day will be longer with modification of CtC for her but that might not be that much longer. And yet another option is to take CtC half speed while you train her and then move to full speed when she's ready.

Then again Preparing is one of my absolute favorite guides so you can't go wrong there either :lol: I'm sorry I'm not being more help. I highly recommend the placement chart and calling HOD directly. Either or both of those will definitely help you place her correctly.

Welcome to HOD!
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

Laura O.

Post by Laura O. » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:54 am

Thank so much Paige for your input!! It really is helpful. I am really excited about starting HOD, but at the same time I am feeling overwhelmed thinking I'm going to place them wrong :? So it should work out wither way--I can go with Preparing and just keep it moving along quickly if it seems easier for her, OR, I can go with CtoC and kind of plan from the beginning to take it slowly till she seems to get the narratives more on her own....right? :lol: I think I've changed my mind about 6 times trying to get what is best :oops: :oops: My latest decision :roll: :? was to go with CtoC for her. She did Apologia Zoology: 3 for her science this year, SO, I was thinking that if she did the "HOD version" of the grade she just finished, it might be right on track?!

Thanks so much for helping out!! I really appreciate all the advice I can get :oops: :D :D

Laura
Laura~in Japan
4dc:

christina101902

Post by christina101902 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:05 am

Here is the post for LHFHG supply list
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8026
Christina

Desiree 5-LHFHG K
2- 1yr olds- dancing and singing along

Laura O.

Post by Laura O. » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Thanks so much for the link, Christina!! I copied it out and have it with my list of other supplies I need for school :D
Laura~in Japan
4dc: